Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ambush of Spanish Cyclist in Pakistan

Options
  • 23-01-2014 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/22/guards-spanish-cyclist-shot-dead-pakistan-baluchistan

I was reading about the ambush of a Spanish man (Javier Colorado) in Baluchistan province in Pakistan. He was on a round the world cycling trip. Six of the twelve police officers protecting him were killed. This got me thinking about the sheer needlessness of it. There was a bombing of a bus killing 24 in that province the previous day and two Czech ladies were kidnapped there last March and are still being held captive. Colorado presumably being aware that this was a hot spot for violence, went ahead and crossed the border regardless.

While the ultimate responsibility lies with the ambushers, should Colorado shoulder some moral responsibility for his reckless actions. Six officers died protecting him, in what was in the end a needless jaunt on a bike through one of the most dangerous regions on the planet. It reminded me of the Canadian girl Caitlin Coleman who was heavily pregnant, got kidnapped with her husband in Afghanistan. Neither had security, contacts or any affiliation with an NGO, they were simply backpacking through Taliban controlled areas.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/31/missing-couple-afghanistan_n_2388199.html

I believe that he should feel some shame over it. He now gets to cycle through India while six others lie in the grave. In the end it was completely needless, and coupled with that he would have known the area was on high alert after the bomb the previous day prevented him from crossing, but yet he still decided to go ahead.

So do you think when people behave in a reckless manner like the above that results in death/injury to others, that they are morally responsible?

Advertisement