Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just started, so a few feeder questions.

• 10-09-2009 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

I was given a bag of birdseed a while back but never bothered to put it out.I was cleaning the utility and came across the bag so i decided id throw a bit around for the birds.Low and behold the following morning there was a free for all out in the lawn.So i picked up a feeding station with a couple of hanging feeders and also a ground feeder so now i have a few questions.

1. Are feeders to be left out at night or do you take them in?
    2. If you leave them out do you top them up at night or in the morning?
    3. Should ground feeders be taken in at night so as not to attract vermin?
    4. In regards to hygiene how often should the feeders be cleaned?
    5. I have hung out a seed feeder and a peanut feeder, the seeds are going down a storm but the peanuts are slow.Are peanuts usually 2nd choice?

Im sure il have a couple more questions as i get answers.thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The Birdtable Book by Tony Soper is the best man for the job - more than 40 different editions on eBay tonight. Everything that you could possibly want to know. My own experience leads me to believe that ground feeding stations inevitably bring vermin and can also make a good killing ground for cats. Free standing bird tables are best near to some cover or the hanging variety for trees also give the feeding birds a chance to escape from predators such as hawks.

Seeds are popular - especially sunflower - but peanuts attract tits, finches and others who eventually master the nut feeder - maybe even a Great Spotted Woodpecker if you're very lucky! As the weather gets colder expect numbers to build up too. One thing is that if you start you should intend to keep the feeders topped up as your local bird population will come to depend on you. Feeders do need cleaning from time to time otherwise they can become a source of disease for the birds. I really do recommend the Bird Table Book - it may also be available from Birdwatch Ireland too. Expect to pay between €2/7 depending on whether it is a hardback or softback. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Welcome to the obsession Garden Bird Feeding can become.

1. Feeders can be left out at night. Birds will be feeding in the moring long before many of us are up and about.
    2. I'd top up the feedrs in the morning.
    3. When using ground feeders (or just throwing seed on the lawn) only put enough to do the birds for an hour or so in the moring so there is nothing left by evening to attract wermin. I have been ground feeding for decades (in a rural area) and have never had vermin). Many species prefer or only feed on the ground so they need our help too.
    4. While the books may suggest more regular cleaning, I think once a month is practical and sufficient.
    5. Sometimes it takes a while for birds to learn about nut feeders but once they get used to it peanuts will quite often be the food of choice.

Now you've started there's no turning back.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I regularly clean my feeders and environs but I've been struck twice now with a disease that hits finches. Can't remember the name but it causes them to plump up, become lethargic and their gullets become blocked. They gradually starve. Terrible death. I had about 10 of the poor things around the house. Tends to happen when the weather improves so I won't be feeding after mid spring any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

E39MSport wrote: »
    I regularly clean my feeders and environs but I've been struck twice now with a disease that hits finches. Can't remember the name but it causes them to plump up, become lethargic and their gullets become blocked. They gradually starve. Terrible death. I had about 10 of the poor things around the house. Tends to happen when the weather improves so I won't be feeding after mid spring any more.

Finch flu. Had it here too and I just stopped feeding straight away. I only had one sick bird in my garden but a couple of neighbours mentioned having an injured bird in theirs...I assume they were sick rather than injured. I also had to stop the car one day because there was a bullfinch who just wouldn't move off the road. After a while he made his way over to a low hedge. This was about 3 miles from my house so I think finch flu may just have been fairly rampant at the time:confused:

one of my biggest problems is cats. I can't keep the damn things out of my garden :( I want to start feeding the birds again and so do the kids but I hate feeling like I'm luring the birds to their deaths.

littlebug wrote: »
    Finch flu. Had it here too and I just stopped feeding straight away...

I think you mean trichomoniasis, which is a parasite and not an actual flu virus. The link below should explain what you need to know about it. But I'd ask people not to stop feeding birds unless they have come across the problem first hand and then to only cease feeding while the problem exists.

http://www.ufaw.org.uk/gbhi.php

As for cat! Don't get me started on that one.:mad:
    Place feeders away from walls or trees but close enough to cover so they can hide or escape. Easier said than done I know but the whole Cat debate is for another thread perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I think you mean trichomoniasis, which is a parasite and not an actual flu virus. The link below should explain what you need to know about it. But I'd ask people not to stop feeding birds unless they have come across the problem first hand and then to only cease feeding while the problem exists.

http://www.ufaw.org.uk/gbhi.php

As for cat! Don't get me started on that one.:mad:
    Place feeders away from walls or trees but close enough to cover so they can hide or escape. Easier said than done I know but the whole Cat debate is for another thread perhaps.

That's it Elliot Clean Recorder. I posted on here about it at the time and I also notified Birdwatch ireland.
    I may well start an anti-cat thread :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

anyways, I'll be starting up again soon as the weather gets chillier. I've seen that the coal tits still visit the feeders even though they are empty so looks like they haven't forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

Bought one of those ball shaped feeders that takes peanuts and after a slow start it's proving v v popular with sparrows (I actually think they're starting to look a little chubby!! :D), the thing is that all I ever seem to get is sparrows (not that I mind that much apart from the noise in the morning!!), I get the occasional Great Tit but was wondering is it the food or even the shape of the feeder that attracts a wider variety?

Was also wondering if it's a bad idea to put a nesting box near a bird feeder?

As with Birdwatch Ireland, RSPB, BTO, etc I recommend light feeding right through the Summer months. Breeding birds need to keep up their energy levels up.

Bought one of those ball shaped feeders that takes peanuts and after a slow start it's proving v v popular with sparrows (I actually think they're starting to look a little chubby!! :D), the thing is that all I ever seem to get is sparrows (not that I mind that much apart from the noise in the morning!!), I get the occasional Great Tit but was wondering is it the food or even the shape of the feeder that attracts a wider variety?

Was also wondering if it's a bad idea to put a nesting box near a bird feeder?

With declining House Sparrow numbers it's great that you and I have plenty coming to the feeders.:)
    I don't think the shape matters but I would suggest more than one nut feeder. I'd also supply seeds in a feeder and loose on a bird table and on the ground. Given time, and the influx of birds to the country over the coming months, the numbers and variety of birds visiting should improve. You should start a list and record how many species visit the garden over the coming months and years. The count for my garden is now at 54.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

littlebug wrote: »
    one of my biggest problems is cats. I can't keep the damn things out of my garden :( I want to start feeding the birds again and so do the kids but I hate feeling like I'm luring the birds to their deaths.

I drilled a small hole in the guttering in my roof and then ran a small bit of washing line through it and tied on a couple of feeders. I have a mesh feeder with peanuts in it and a clear feeder with seed. Because they are high up the cats cant get anywhere near them. Whats handy is that I only have to lean out my bedroom window to top up/clean the feeders. Best of all is that when I sit up in bed I can look out at them all feeding. Its a lovely sight to wake up to, especially at the weekend when im off work and have time to have breakfast in bed and watch them.
    The feeders are busy too. The food will always attract the birds but I think the security of the feeders being so high up adds to the numbers. Also the house is protecting them on one side so they only have to keep an eye out in front of themselves for hawks and the likes instead of having to keep a watch over 360 degrees like theyd have to on a bird table etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

ThunderCat wrote: »
    I drilled a small hole in the guttering in my roof and then ran a small bit of washing line through it and tied on a couple of feeders. I have a mesh feeder with peanuts in it and a clear feeder with seed. Because they are high up the cats cant get anywhere near them. Whats handy is that I only have to lean out my bedroom window to top up/clean the feeders. Best of all is that when I sit up in bed I can look out at them all feeding. Its a lovely sight to wake up to, especially at the weekend when im off work and have time to have breakfast in bed and watch them.
    The feeders are busy too. The food will always attract the birds but I think the security of the feeders being so high up adds to the numbers. Also the house is protecting them on one side so they only have to keep an eye out in front of themselves for hawks and the likes instead of having to keep a watch over 360 degrees like theyd have to on a bird table etc.

Sparrowhawks are ambush predators, and will use the fact there is a blind side to attack from.

It is quite common for a sparrowhawk to use the roof or an extension roof as a launch pad to swoop down from onto feeding birds.

Plus the feeding birds first instinct in the event of a hawk attack will be to go for the nearest tree/bush to try and hide in.

Sparrows make up a large portion of sparrowhawk's diet, especially the smaller male hawks, as the house sparrow is quite a slow flier when compared to other small birds, and has nowhere near enough agility when compared to the sparrowhawk.

I have to say that I am quite fond of house sparrows though, despite the fact that mine go through about 2kg of seed and a fair share of peanuts each day, but I love watching the large numbers I get, and there are always a few characters in the sparrow flocks once you start to get used to them.

You may also find that they can be keen to hand feed, something that a lot of people do not expect from sparrows.

I have robins, three types of tit and a blackbird that handfeed, so a few of the sparrows have twigged that it is a handy way to get some mealworm to go with their seeds. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Thanks for the help. I moved my nut feeder to a tree in the front garden and the sparrows went mad for it. However i can't keep it there but when i moved it back again to the rear garden there is no interest i've tried various places too and even took in the seed feeder too for a day.
    I have a little ground feeder i picked up in B&Q and its very popular too.Unfortunately a number of Feral Pigeons have started to arrive and the numbers are increasing.They take all the food in no time and leave nothing for the blackbirds or robins.I know they have to feed too but im wary of them hanging around leaving droppings around the neighbors houses. I have seen ground guards on a couple of sites they look useful does anyone here use one and do they work?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

Hello,

First time posting on this forum.

I was getting loads of crows previously when I was hanging out suet balls. The crows ended up grabbing the bags and ripping them open so the feed didn't last beyond a day no matter how much feed I put out. I started doing this I'd say about 4 months ago. I was also getting the odd blue tit and robin in this time also. Are these birds seasonal or do they stay all year round?

In the last 3 weeks I've moved to a peanut feeder and the crow problem is gone but so are all the other birds. There might also have been a gap so maybe the birds have ignored me due to no feed being out. I have also read as the weather gets cooler more birds start to appear. maybe I just have to be more patient. If you have any suggestions let me know.

Regards,
    David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I wouldn't be worried, as you say when the weather gets colder the birds will be back - especially tits and finches if you have peanuts available.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

Between sunflowr seeds, fat balls and peanuts the nuts are the least popular in my garden, most go to the pigeons when it looks like they need to be changed. Have a gang of 10 - 15 sparrows and a few blue tits and great tits and they can empty a medium feeder in a few days.
    They probably drop a good bit as the pigeons love hanging out below it.

Advertisement