Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 180: Werdum v Hunt

Options
  • 15-11-2014 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭

UFC_180_event_poster.jpg

Main card

• Fabrício Werdum vs. Mark Hunt
    • Jake Ellenberger vs. Kelvin Gastelum
    • Ricardo Lamas vs. Dennis Bermudez
    • Augusto Montaño vs. Chris Heatherly
    • Edgar García vs. Héctor Urbina

Preliminary card (Fox Sports 1)
    • Yair Rodríguez vs. Leonardo Morales
    • Alejandro Pérez vs. José Alberto Quiñónez
    • Jessica Eye vs. Leslie Smith
    • Gabriel Benítez vs. Humberto Brown

Preliminary card (UFC Fight Pass)
    • Enrique Briones vs. Guido Cannetti
    • Marco Beltrán vs. Marlon Vera

Fairly decent event but ravaged with injuries, but at the end of the day its fairly week overall. If there wasnt 193792 events a week they could have had it fairly stacked taking fights from Australia & Brazil cards if one got scraped. Bolded my picks but outside of the main event bar Eye i havnt a clue about the rest of the fighters.

I really want Hunt to win here, top off a fairytale ending for him but Werdum really is to well rounded imo, I think Hunt will be submitted. But at the end of the day the main thing keeping me excited is Hunts clobber hands, even if he clips Werdum its goodnight Irene.

Seen other people commentating on it but Jakes been fairly quiet in the run up to this fight, could be for good reason to.I expect Kelvin to take this on decision or maybe a cheeky late sub. Kelvins aggressiveness and his ability to push the temp will have him taking atleast two rounds to get the decision iIhave no doubt in my mind. Massive fan of his and was delighted when he won TUF, still seems to be slipping under the radar but he really is a beast of a prospect.

I was originally picking Bermudez to beat Lamas but in the latest embedded videos he seems to have something wrong with his hand, and as it was a toss up between them imo iv sided slightly with Lamas now, even if his terrible attempt at an Irish accent slightly pissed me off. I hope Bermudez wins and hes well capable of doing so but depending on what his injury is like Lamas could take this.

Not to clued up on Montano & Heatherly but Heatherly got KOd by Ben Saunders on his debut who isnt a world beater, he has been in the tougher fights by the looks of his records though. Montano on the other hand is taking a step up and making his UFC debut, but being the home town guy and having the crowd behind him Im picking him over Heatherly.

Urbina is purely being picked because of TUF19. I liked him and hope he has a decent career. Garcias first run in the UFC was terrible and I reckon his second run won go any smoother, the step up didnt seem to suit him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

a few good scraps here by the looks of it

doubt hunt will trouble werdum myself
    most looking forward to bermudez v lamas, berm impresses me more everytime I see him fight but lamas will take him all the way surely

half decent looking card on bellator also, chandler brooks one I'd most like to see
    could make a decent card combining the best from both rather that flying through half of both no doubt

Mark Hunt vs. Fabricio Werdum
    Will Brooks vs. Michael Chandler
    Melvin Manhoef vs. Joe Schilling
    Jake Ellenberger vs. Kelvin Gastelum
    Dennis Bermudez vs. Ricardo Lamas
    Stephan Bonnar vs. Tito Ortiz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Really annoying that UFC and Bellator are going head to head tonight. Rooting for Hunt but I think Werdum will win. I'm amazed Hunt even made weight. The poor guy had to lose 45 pounds in three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

What time will the Bellator main event be on? Heard Mick Foley is coming back as Cactus Jack to be the special guest referee

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

TimRiggins wrote: »
    What time will the Bellator main event be on? Heard Mick Foley is coming back as Cactus Jack to be the special guest referee

This wouldnt even surprise me in the slightest, Tito did say theres more surprises to come :pac:

Bar that fight the Bellator card is fairly solid! Really looking forward to Brooks doing the business against Chandler again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

UFC will be on the big TV. Bellator on a monitor and WSOF will be on a laptop.

But I'm not addicted or nothin'.

Looking forward to Lamas/Bermudez. Very interesting fight.

Would love Hunt to win. Seems like a nice guy but he's very one dimensional and Werdum is far too well rounded but hey, who knows. I just hope the weight cut hasn't affected Hunt too much.

• Advertisement

TimRiggins wrote: »

main card starts at 2am

That_Guy wrote: »

can I call round? :D

my sunday morning will be shagged, could be divorced by afternoon :o

That_Guy wrote: »

Looking forward to Lamas/Bermudez. Very interesting fight.

Would love Hunt to win. Seems like a nice guy but he's very one dimensional and Werdum is far too well rounded but hey, who knows. I just hope the weight cut hasn't affected Hunt too much.

Id be more concerned with what personal matters hunt has gone through this week, he was absolutely ****ed on Monday. No smiles no laughs nothing he looked depressed. Didnt give anything away with what happened but said it was bad anyway.

I wont ditch you this time tonight in the thread :pac:

mailburner wrote: »
    can I call round? :D

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

'Mon the Super Samoan!! :D:D

Stupid work :( won't get to see this live might catch some of pre-lims, will most likely watch 2moro.

Was poised to be one of the cards of the year till it fell apart oh well still bouts with a lot of potential in them for sure.

Lamas could be a step too far for Bermudez but that said Bermudez is on a tare and if he added Lamas to his impressive win streak a potential bout with Conor could be on the horizon.

Werdum would make a great champ atop a minimal but exciting division proved himself time and again. Should pull off a sub for the interim strap. It would be brill if Hunt snuck a victory but to do that its literally one shot at glory against a guy with a decent chin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Hunt to win because after that 5 rounder with Bigfoot Silva, I don't think I could love a heavyweight as much as I do him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

The term 'The Bermudez triangle' will be coined tonite.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Mark Hunt to win in round 5 @ 33/1 on paddypower.

Put my €2 free bet on that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Lads, get onto cage warriors quick and look at the Joesph Duffy knockout

My first two picks won, watch now that i dont have a bet every single one iv picked in the op will come in :(

Brown done ridiculously well not to get choked out there and escape the guillotine.

EDIT - Done just aswell to get out of the second attempt to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Poxy ads.

Did he shít his pants??

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Did he shít his pants??

Hes done a Yoel Romero

hqdefault.jpg

Third time lucky for Benitez, 3/3 so far on my picks and not one bet done :(

Very nice guillotine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Is anyone watching the women's fight? One of the girls ears is hanging off. That's nasty :(

Shame the fight was stopped like that but that ear was bad!

Good stoppage by the doc, that was not so nice to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

In Forrest Griffin's book he mentions cutting weight, then rehydration. Apparently you need to watch your salt and sugar intake, or you can have an accident.

Tim Sylvia, happened to him before I believe.

Jesus, her ear was set to fall off. Nasty.

Eye is a beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

weemcd wrote: »
    In Forrest Griffin's book he mentions cutting weight, then rehydration. Apparently you need to watch your salt and sugar intake, or you can have an accident.

Tim Sylvia, happened to him before I believe.

What type of an accident

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

B2ht522IgAETxVB.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

The blood splatter reply they kept showing was nasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    The blood splatter reply they kept showing was nasty
    Christ, that is absolutely rotten. Hope none of you squeamish folk out there have got your vines set to autoplay.

https://vine.co/v/O5gOg1Twp9h

Advertisement