Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGregor vs Siver on BT Sports 19th Jan. Prelims: Midnight. Main Card: 3am

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭xtal191

A decent punch? He's only won 5 of his 22 fights by ko and hasn't won by ko since 2009.

I honestly don't see this fight being very difficult for Conor, I'd rate Holloway and Poirier much higher than Siver, I'd even give Brandao a decent chance of beating Siver.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

I hope lots of spinning back kicks are thrown, it's probably my favorite strike and both guys are great at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I have a feeling Dennis will look for the takedown early just to get past the first 2 minutes. I'm just hoping for a nice uppercut/knee/guillotine to counter any obvious/slow takedown attempts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I see McGregor winning by front kick to the face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I see McGregor winning by front kick to the face

Has Steven Seagal taught him that yet? Anderson Silva didn't know how to do one until Seagal taught him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

The sensei can keep to himself, we all saw what happened to Cormier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Conor was close to a head kick KO against Brandao, and even closer against Dustin. It's coming sooner rather than later, imagine if it happened on Sunday...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

doesn't have to be that high even.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Before Siver's suspension and when he came back into the UFC I always enjoyed watching him fight. He's probably got the biggest frame for the division and I would have maybe liked to have seen this fight at lightweight.

Personally think it's the best weight for both fighters though long term, it's a slaughter house as Siver found out.

I don't think it's going to be straight forward for Conor and Siver has some very solid technique behind him and a good ground game to boot.

These mind games that Conor likes to play don't seem to have worked too much on Siver from what I can tell but having said that, Poirier and McGregor were around each other a lot on various media tours so there would have been a lot of heightened smack talk on either side.

I can't wait. I think Conor will do the job but I don't think it's the walk over that many are expecting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

It's just funny to see nobody talking about the fact this is a 5 round fight. Nobody questioning how either will deal with the cardio. Assuming everyone see's an early knockout stoppage to the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

It's just funny to see nobody talking about the fact this is a 5 round fight. Nobody questioning how either will deal with the cardio. Assuming everyone see's an early knockout stoppage to the fight.

I can't imagine Cardio will be an issue even if it does go the full five rounds. I'd worry about Siver more then McGregor in that regard though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

It will probably be 1st fight Conor will have someone trying to put him on his back and not wanting to stand with him.I don't think Conor is in Sivers head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,614 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cardio is rarely an issue at 145. And I imagine its even less of a concern for McGregor, Siver might be behind, but I doubt he's suffer tbh.
    dave1982 wrote: »
    It will probably be 1st fight Conor will have someone trying to put him on his back and not wanting to stand with him.I don't think Conor is in Sivers head.
    On the ground was supposedly the area where both Brandao and Porrier were at an advantage. The black belts verse "only a purple"

Diego was actively trying to grapple and take him down. But Conor reversed his throw, and shut down his open guard.
    sheehy83 wrote: »
    I have a feeling Dennis will look for the takedown early just to get past the first 2 minutes.

He should do that, but I've a feeling he'll throw a spinning side signature kick anyway. I've a feeling Connor is counting on that, and Would be surprised if he has a specific counter drilled endlessly.
    That's what I'm calling, In the opening 2 minutes, DS launches a Spinning side kick and Connor steps left and counters with a spinning hook kick.

*Bonus points is Rogan preempts it by saying "Look, Siver is turning his front foot in, he's setting up"

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

xtal191 wrote: »
    A decent punch? He's only won 5 of his 22 fights by ko and hasn't won by ko since 2009.

I honestly don't see this fight being very difficult for Conor, I'd rate Holloway and Poirier much higher than Siver, I'd even give Brandao a decent chance of beating Siver.
    OK, fair enough. But you cant tell me that this guy isn't capable of swinging for the fences and having a punchers chance (which was what I said).

Of course every fighter has a punchers chance but the fact is he's only won by ko 5 times in 22 fights and Conor has never been kod.

I wouldnt be surprised if this fight goes exactly the same way when Siver fought Guillard.

Mellor wrote: »
    That's what I'm calling, In the opening 2 minutes, DS launches a Spinning side kick and Connor steps left and counters with a spinning hook kick.

Going by his open gym session looks like that's what his move will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Standing in line for the weigh in tickets, same amount of people behind me going as far as the corner.

Luckily it's not as cold as it was supposed to be, only 0C (it's supposed to get as cold as -13C later today)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Isnt the weigh in tomorrow :/
    Ohhhh tickets. Dont mind me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Hazys wrote: »
    Standing in line for the weigh in tickets, same amount of people behind me going as far as the corner.

Luckily it's not as cold as it was supposed to be, only 0C (it's supposed to get as cold as -13C later today)

Andrew McGahon from SevereMMA has tickets for irish fans. He had something in his twitter yesterday incase you have no joy in line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Once i got my tickets and was leaving, the line was pretty small so I'd say there is still a ton of tickets available if people want to pop by the Orpheum Theater later and pick them up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

No No UFC embedded today so far by the looks of it. They werent great so far anyway. Would like to see a bit of the other fighters. Benson, Cerreone, Parke, Faber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Is this one being shown on telly? Also what time is it on over here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

zweton wrote: »
    Is this one being shown on telly? Also what time is it on over here?

Yeah it's live on 3e and should start around half four in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

It's not live on 3e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Reairing on 3e Tuesday @21:30 .

To watch live here its you either have to have BTsports1 or UFC Fightpass other than that you seek the methods that can't be discussed here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

I was joking lads :pac: it's been said 282771733 times when the fights on and where people shouldn't have to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Who is Beersmith ? and why should we PM for info ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

14murphy wrote: »
    Who is Beersmith ? and why should we PM for info ?

Cause I have it and you want it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

shano_88 wrote: »
    No No UFC embedded today so far by the looks of it. They werent great so far anyway. Would like to see a bit of the other fighters. Benson, Cerreone, Parke, Faber.

Better late than never I suppose.

Beersmith wrote: »
    Cause I have it and you want it!

Tell me all you know.
    Actually does anyone know if you can purchase a ppv through upc or like a monthly subscription to BT Sports. Wouldnt mind watching this in decent quality for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Tell me all you know.
    Actually does anyone know if you can purchase a ppv through upc or like a monthly subscription to BT Sports. Wouldnt mind watching this in decent quality for once.

You can't get the fight as a once off but you can add BT Sports to your package. It actually has decent MMA coverage and related programs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Tell me all you know.

if you sign up for Setanta, which gives you BT Sports, you have to go for a minimum of 2 months. UFC wise you'll get McGregor v Siver, Gustafsson v Johnson, UFC 183 Diaz v Silva and UFC 184 Weidman v Belfort and Rousey v Zingano. one of the best runs of fights in ufc history

Cathal put up this class pic of the man himself in he fighters hotel. Speaking of, Petesy Carrol was on 2fm sports show earlier and he said he heard rumours of Josey asking for the title fight to take place in Brazil.

B7fyUzFCMAEl4kO.jpg

Thanks lads just done some research. Decent enough price here are the links if anyones interested.

http://sport.bt.com/ufc/fighting-fixture-list-ufc-in-2015-S11363950123584

http://www.upc.ie/television/premium/SS/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Speaking of, Petesy Carrol was on 2fm sports show earlier and he said he heard rumours of Josey asking for the title fight to take place in Brazil.

More chance of the fight taking place in Brazil than in Ireland.

Can't believe how deluded some people are thinking it would take place here. Obviously I'd want it here (if McGregor does indeed get a title shot).

MagicIRL wrote: »
    So Dana says it's between Vegas and Dublin and you chime in with it being in Brazil. Right.

He was saying it in relation to my comment about jose asking dana for the fight to be in brazil. If it's true and he did ask that, i wonder if the mass Irish presence around him put him off the dublin fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EoinEire32

Anybody know if theres any pubs in dublin stayin open late to show de fight?? i heard rumours of one or two places but not going out at dat hour to find there shut, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

Living room would be your best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

You can get a free 7 day trial of fightpass if you sign up with a credit card. Or pay the 7.99 for the month, it has all shows live except the PPV portion of PPV cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

For anyone thinking about getting Setanta you won't do much better than this

https://secure.setantasubs.com/roi/promo/2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Is FightPass 7.99? I have to pay 9.99 for it on the ipad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sorry for the stupid question if it has been answered before, but what channel is the fight on tonight? I've checked the listings for both Setanta Sports and BT Sports channels and can't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Clareman wrote: »
    Sorry for the stupid question if it has been answered before, but what channel is the fight on tonight? I've checked the listings for both Setanta Sports and BT Sports channels and can't see it.

Monday morning

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

theteal wrote: »
    Monday morning

That'd be why then.

So I've the Patriots game and the UFC to watch tomorrow night, just as well I'm off Monday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

dickwod1 wrote: »

They all don't care what McGregor says yet all they do is talk about him. Didn't think he was in Siver's head but not so sure now. He's already in Aldo's head and will only intensify this when/if they meet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Aldo's line about every king liking the fool is a countdown special's dream.

Advertisement