Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice wanted re Vintage Road Bike Problem (BL 1050 Brake Levers)

Options
  • 12-06-2014 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hello.

I have problem with the brakes on an '80s road bike at the lever end. (Brake levers are Shimano BL 1050 and the brakes themselves are Shimano 105). Something is coming loose meaning that the lever can wobble in multiple directions and the top part of the mechanism is coming away from where it is attached to the handlebars (it can be pressed down but it pops up). At the moment the brakes are still pulling, but last time the whole thing became totally useless. Last time it happened was going down a steep hill so I thought maybe I had just put too much pressure on it. A group of club cyclists I bumped into kindly tightened it for me with an allen key (they took the front wheel off too, I think to give the cable some slack). After that it was good for about 150km, but yesterday it happened again, even though I wasn't on any more very steep hills. For now they've just been tightened again, but I'm guessing there must be a weak part somewhere. I'll be doing a lot of sportives this summer, some of which have very steep descents so I want to know they'll be ok. Does anyone know what currently available components might work as a replacement? The gearing is totally separate so I'd need ones that didn't have integrated gear levers. Also non aero at the moment but maybe could change that.

Thanks

Advertisement