Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you had €1500 what would you pick for a self build?

Options
  • 10-06-2014 10:02pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just reading AstraMont's thread and wondering if you had a €1500 budget what spec would you build to save on weight?

Playing around with a few builds. WIll try and post later

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Just finished building up a Ribble R872-and it is sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Charlie69

The Canyon Ultimate AL slx is an excellent frame for 699

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It's not just the frame. Its the whole bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Yep you'll be needing a frame for that:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'd do the Ribble bike builder. You'll get exceptional value on there.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That must be the world's most awesome Planet X.

I must say I love the intricate attention to detail all the way through the build, that post itself, the precise specs, the photos, all the weights down to the nearest gram and then the last line "I have to thanks Holyboy who took care of it and make it work great.". It's like he just didn't have an ounce of energy left to type a coherent sentence after all that precise effort and just said "**** it" and hit post reply :D

I know it's a marginal gains thing, but I'm looking at my own, already pretty frickin light, R5 and wondering how I'd shave nearly a kilo off it to match that. Those wheels must be exceptionally waif-like are they?

With regards to your own self-build, you could do a lot worse than buying that sram red groupset in the ad section. -Very very light groupset. Sram really pared that 2012 10 speed back to the bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

godtabh wrote: »
    Just reading AstraMont's thread and wondering if you had a €1500 budget what spec would you build to save on weight?

Playing around with a few builds. WIll try and post later

You are not going to build a light bike for 1500 yoyos, you might however get the wheels :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Inquitus wrote: »
    You are not going to build a light bike for 1500 yoyos, you might however get the wheels :)

I know that. Inspired by Astras post and realistic budget just seeing what could be built

I know that. Inspired by Astras post and realistic budget just seeing what could be built

It's a very tough one, all the light bits cost a fortune, if you delved deep into the 2nd hand market you might achieve something, hard to see you breaking 10kg on a self build, new, for €1500 if not buying a complete bike from Planet-X or Canyon or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

... hard to see you breaking 10kg on a self build, new, for €1500 if not buying a complete bike from Planet-X or Canyon or similar.

Ah, it can be done ok. Buy good used parts and take your time to gather the right bits. I built up an 8.4kg Colnago over the winter. A quick tot up suggests I would just have scraped in under your budget. Only new parts bought were 'consumables'

• Advertisement

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Ah, it can be done ok. Buy good used parts and take your time to gather the right bits. I built up an 8.4kg Colnago over the winter. A quick tot up suggests I would just have scraped in under your budget. Only new parts bought were 'consumables'

I quite clearly state that it can't be done with new parts, only possible with 2nd hand, as you have demonstrated.

Someone needs a saucer of milk........pull back in your claws there..... :)

It was for the OPs attention, to be fair, though I needed to quote something. I dont think he specified new in his initial request so I was trying to draw his attention to the value to be gained by judicious buying of lightly used parts.

Anyway, lets not derail this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Buy the lightest complete bike which your budget will allow. Take it apart and put it back together again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

Nice bike, Ballyhack or Passage?

Lemag wrote: »
    Buy the lightest complete bike which your budget will allow. Take it apart and put it back together again ;)

From canyon you could probably get a 7.35kg for that budget./

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

From canyon you could probably get a 7.35kg for that budget./
    7.35kg would be da job! Unless you go for a medium term project similar to TheBlaaMan your budget won't get you near the level of spec you should be able to get for a complete bike. I built up a Canyon frame a few years ago. If I were to do it again though I'd buy a complete bike and swap out parts as the need/want arises when the funds allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭RonanCFD

kilns wrote: »

That for €700, plus Ultegra 11-speed for €650 from Merlin, plus some Zondas for €300, plus some finishing kit you've got loafing around... OK, has crept a bit above budget but it would be a very tasty bike and ~7.5kg at a guess. My Storck framset from HiBike was reduced because of 'shelf marks' - turned out to be a tiny smudge of paint on the seat tube which rubbed off in 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Only catch is the frame is Di2 compatable only, cheapest Di2 is with Merlin at around.

I have my frame ordered already awaiting delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭RonanCFD

Ah, missed that. I guess that really is causing budget-creep!

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    Nice bike, Ballyhack or Passage?

Ballyhack :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

It's a very tough one, all the light bits cost a fortune, if you delved deep into the 2nd hand market you might achieve something, hard to see you breaking 10kg on a self build, new, for €1500 if not buying a complete bike from Planet-X or Canyon or similar.

I did one just over a year ago. €1100 for a 8.15kg bike. Bear in mind though that was with an 1984 steel frame so I expect I could have gone lighter with a alu frame and carbon handlebars. Frame and Wheels were second hand though. I eventually sold the wheels and upgraded to Zonda's bringing the total to about €1350 and it's now under 8kg.

Campagnolo groupsets are good for keeping the weight down (a 10sp Centaur group is very cheap on ebay) and a full carbon fork is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

Just totted up the price of my build came to €2200 7.2kg
    Frameset Planet X Rt57
    Groupset Sram Force 22
    Wheels Zonda's
    Saddle Fizik arione
    Seatpost, Stem, Bars Fizik R3
    Tyres/Tubes Continental attack&force/Vittoria latex

Didn't get a chance to weigh the frame before it was built but it's a bit heavier than planet x says I reckon. My Px sl pro weighs 7.4 with sram rival that groupset alone is nearly 200g heavier than force 22 and the finishing kit/saddle is heavier. Reckon my sl pro frame is closer to the 1kg mark than current spec says.

Best value Pre built options were
    Ultimate AL SLX 9.0 SL €1950 delivered 7.2 kg or
    Ultimate CF SL 9.0 SL €2650 6.75kg

It was a dilemma I had for a long time they were the best value options but I was trying to buy local and for the most part I did. Frameset PX Ireland, Groupset/ Fizik finishing kit LBS Outdoor Escape Mullingar, Wheels Swimcyclerun. Very happy with the end result my finishing kit/ saddle would be better than the canyon spec. Wasn't sure about the al canyon and the cf just stretched the budget a bit much. Savage value for money but with a €800 wheelset I'd be afraid to use for racing.

I reckon you can build something fairly light for €1500 if you buy carefully. You already have a reasonable set of wheels in the zonda's to get much lighter will means spending money or going chinese. You'll need to get better than 105 for light weight though ultegra or change to sram/campag

http://www.totalcycling.com/en/Component-Weights/cc-8.aspx

You can get sram apex for €434 that's as light as ultegra. That's €1070 with a RT 57 frameset leaving for €430 for finishing kit and saddle which is more than I spent for fairly light bit's. You could buy all that for €150 which would still give a build fairly close to 7.5kg. Even buying ultegra you could get under budget.
    Plenty of other sale frames around the place in that budget that are around the 1kg mark.

This would tempt me to blow your budget though by €250 and make do with what ever bit's I had lying around to build it up.
    Scott Foil 15 Di2 Aero Road Frameset with Ultegra di2

Ryath wrote: »

You can get sram apex for €434 that's as light as ultegra. That's €1070 with a RT 57 frameset leaving for €430 for finishing kit and saddle which is more than I spent for fairly light bit's. You could buy all that for €150 which would still give a build fairly close to 7.5kg. Even buying ultegra you could get under budget.
    Plenty of other sale frames around the place in that budget that are around the 1kg mark.

Think you will struggle as you need wheels on top of that, add in 350 for some Zonda's and you have very little to spend on the saddle, stem, bars etc. Not convinced on the Apex groupset either, sometimes saving money costs you money and heartache in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

Think you will struggle as you need wheels on top of that, add in 350 for some Zonda's and you have very little to spend on the saddle, stem, bars etc.

OP already has a set of zonda's. You can get fulcrum 5s ~ €200 which are around 100g heavier than zonda's.

Have sram rival nearly 4 years now. Apex is meant to be the same with out the carbon fibre bits. I did break the right shifter last summer but it was replaced. Batch from 2010 were prone to it but newer ones are meant to be fixed (I hope!)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

I built my Dolan Ares SL for €1800 without wheels, pedals or cages albeit.
    dolan.png
    Full Ultegra was second hand €400
    Frame was about €1300
    3T Rotunda bars, Deda Quattro 2 stem, Fizik Bartape, Jagwire Cabling were all from Bike24 serious bargains

Shes as stiff as hell and a demon on the corners.

Advertisement