Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking Buying Galaxy S4...

Options
  • 06-09-2013 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

I currently have an iPhone 4s but lately the small screen is irritating my eyes while reading, browsing, etc.

I'm thinking of going back to Samsung and get an S4 for the bigger screen.

I just have some questions.

1. Are all versions of the S4 4G enabled?
    2. Where is the cheapest place to get a sim free versions?
    3. What would I use to swap contacts and pictures from iOS to Android?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

Just bought mine from pixmania (faulty in my case, see other thread :/ )

Stunning phone, will return for a new one. LTE is as follows: i9505 (Irish verison, Snapdragon Quad Core, LTE), i9500 (Not sold here afaik, Exynos Octa Core, LTE), i9502(Not sold here afaik, Exynos Octa, No LTE).

Good link: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung-phones-9.php

There was a pixmania sale a few days ago, 80e off. I missed that, but couldnt really see cheaper then 600 around the place. They will have 5% off everything when their site relaunches in a few days time.

As for number 3, quick google reveals: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/transfer-iphone-contact-to-android/
    Didn't read, Not sure if helpful :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

For number 3 I used the bump app. Installed on both devices and selected all contacts.
    Took two minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Herrick wrote: »
    I currently have an iPhone 4s but lately the small screen is irritating my eyes while reading, browsing, etc.

I'm thinking of going back to Samsung and get an S4 for the bigger screen.

I just have some questions.

1. Are all versions of the S4 4G enabled?
    2. Where is the cheapest place to get a sim free versions?

1. If you buy the i9505 model yes.
    2. Online usually, but make sure it's from a good site. Second hand ones are too dodgy.
    3. You can use Easy Phone Sync for Android and PC to copy all data from iTunes to Samsung, except Apps and DRM material (music older than 2009)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Contacts can be backed up to your google account from iOS, afaik. Then when you set up your S4, just sign into google and sync them over. It only takes a few seconds to pull them from google onto your phone. With pictures, you could stick them on an sd card from iTunes and pop them into the S4. Or back them up to a Google Plus account or Dropbox and access them through that on the S4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Thanks for the info!

One other thing I've been meaning to ask, more about Android in general. I know you can set different apps as default.

So say I wanted GoSMS as my default text message app. Is it possible to set it up that when I click the normal text message icon on the home screen it will enter the GoSMS inbox and when I want to create a new text it will launch a new message in GoSMS? Or would you always have to enter the GoSMS app?

I never tried it on my old S2 and am curious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Thanks for the info!

One other thing I've been meaning to ask, more about Android in general. I know you can set different apps as default.

So say I wanted GoSMS as my default text message app. Is it possible to set it up that when I click the normal text message icon on the home screen it will enter the GoSMS inbox and when I want to create a new text it will launch a new message in GoSMS? Or would you always have to enter the GoSMS app?

I never tried it on my old S2 and am curious.

You can change that in either your launcher settings or lock screen settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

I'm looking at buying the Samsung Galaxy S4 from amazo.de

I've never really got anything as expensive off amazon before so I just wanted to know going by the link above I'm actually buying this from Amazon themselves right? I'd assume they would send out legit products, as in brand new, un-opened from Samsung and not some dodgy one that may get blacklisted?

Do I have any other issues I'm not thinking of by this buying from Germany? Issues with keyboard layout, etc? I'm assuming seeing as we are in the EU all sorts of charges and warranties are ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Hi there,

So, with the onset of 4G / LTE networks I am wondering if my S4 is compatible with a 4G network. When I look in Settings \ Network Mode I only see WCDMA/GSM and WCDMA only.

Should I not be able to see a setting for LTE also or do I need to wait until the carrier actually has a 4G network and then it would appear?

The phone is a GT-I9505 and it is on the 3 network.

Thanks a lot.

Advertisement