Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

microsoft call

Options
  • 15-10-2012 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

I received a call from microsoft saying that my computer is infected and will crash in 40 minutes if I dont follow their instructions.

Sounds dodgy as fcuk to me.

I missed a few calls from them for a few weeks, probably phoning me to say the same. Computer hasn't crashed since. Anybody else receive similiar call?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

tell them you will give them your credit card details and say 0000 00000 0000 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

ilovesleep wrote: »
    ...Anybody else receive similiar call?

Almost everyone in the phone book at this stage. Sometimes repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Interesting. I thought they had caught and seized the bank accounts of these guys.

http://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/news/microsoft-scam-callers-shut-down
    In a joint international operation between the Australian, Canadian and American authorities, the alleged operators of the ‘Microsoft scam’ calls have been shut down with their bank accounts frozen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Phew! Thank you. And an extra thank you to Sparks.

He was an agressive indian pr1ck too.

I answered the phone and then he spoke that the computer was going to crash in 40 minutes and he was there to help. This didnt make sense to me. If there was a problem I'd sort it. I don't need anyone to.phone me to tell me that there is a problem. I then told him that I wasnt the owner of the house and he'd have to call back again another day.

He tried to order me about to turn on the computer. Which I did.

He told me to search for a key and I played blind. I don't have that key.

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »
    Interesting. I thought they had caught and seized the bank accounts of these guys.

http://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/news/microsoft-scam-callers-shut-down

It's not that difficult to open another bank account. Plus you're assuming it's the same crew pulling the same stunt. Whoever did it first doesn't have a monopoly on the scam.

OP, some people have wondered "how did they know I even owned a PC" but the fact is that most people, or at least most households, have one these days. Phone numbers are just auto-dialled in sequence so it's only a matter of time before they get around to you and hazard a lucky guess that you do indeed own a PC.

You can either tell 'em you don't have one or else you have a MAC and they'll hang up. Or else for amusement you can keep them on the line all day (provided you have nothing better to do) and just start acting dumb and dumber with them as the hours pass by....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Phew! Thank you. And an extra thank you to Sparks.

He was an agressive indian pr1ck too.

I answered the phone and then he spoke that the computer was going to crash in 40 minutes and he was there to help. I then told him that I wasnt the owner of the house and he'd have to call back again another day.

He tried to order me about to turn on the computer.

He told me to search for a key and I played blind. I don't have that key.

Where is the "Any" key?...:D

Try to gather any information like phone numbers used and time of call and send to the Gardai, there is an international LE operation closing in on these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

In short, anyone who approaches you by phone or mail first can't be trusted.
    Unfortunately enough people get tricked by this for the scammers to continue, just like the initial Nigeria mails..
    We're moving from a trusting society to a untrusting one, and I for one don't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Tell them that you have a Mac

This will teach them ,lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I would've burst out laughing if I had got that call :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

if they are calling from Microsoft, and have your name ( from the phone book) ask them to tell you your windows serial number :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You should never deal with people cold calling either at the door or on the phone. 99/100 its a scam or a hard sell. You don't want either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Jarren wrote: »
    Tell them that you have a Mac

This will teach them ,lol

they'd probably just laugh at you and hang up for buying a mac.

Advertisement