Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mom who glued child’s hand to wall gets 99 years.

• 12-10-2012 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

DALLAS, Texas (AP) — A Dallas woman who beat her two-year-old daughter and glued the toddler's hands to a wall was sentenced Friday to 99 years in prison.
    Elizabeth Escalona faced from probation to life in prison, and prosecutors had sought 45 years behind bars.
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/latestnews/Mom-who-glued-child-s-hand-to-wall-gets-99-years

The crime is reprehensible but 99 years seems excessive to me. You can murder people in this country and get a fifth of that sentence. Maybe she's a single mother and minding her five children just got to her that day and now her life is effectively over. Maybe a sentence of 15 years would be more appropriate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Ah America, God bless you and your people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Nah, 99 years is fine. fúck her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I'd like to see that judge/jury/prosecutor get their hands on a murder case. 100+ years!

The crime is reprehensible but 99 years seems excessive to me. You can murder people in this country and get a fifth of that sentence. Maybe she's a single mother and minding her five children just got to her that day and now her life is effectively over. Maybe a sentence of 15 years would be more appropriate.[/QUOTE]

good for Texas,

read what else she did to the child Evil bitch. She kicked the child in the stomach, the child ended up in a coma.

Jocelyn suffered bleeding in her brain, a fractured rib, multiple bruises and bite marks, and was in a coma for a couple of days, a doctor testified at the sentencing hearing. Some skin had been torn off her hands, where doctors also found glue residue and white paint chips from the apartment wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

The crime is reprehensible but 99 years seems excessive to me. You can murder people in this country and get a fifth of that sentence. Maybe she's a single mother and minding her five children just got to her that day and now her life is effectively over. Maybe a sentence of 15 years would be more appropriate.

You think 99 years for beating a two year old and gluing them to a wall is excessive? Throw away the key tbh, her life SHOULD be over.

I'd love to say beat the living daylights out of HER and glue HER to a wall for the 99 years, but that'd achieve fùckall when the damage has been done to the child already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

She should be executed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

RosyLily wrote: »
    I'd like to see that judge/jury/prosecutor get their hands on a murder case. 100+ years!

Id say theyre a big fan of the death penalty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

So she's stuck in pison for a century- that's super. I wonder will this break the mother-child bond?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You think 99 years for beating a two year old and gluing them to a wall is excessive? Throw away the key tbh, her life SHOULD be over.

I'd love to say beat the living daylights out of HER and glue HER to a wall for the 99 years, but that'd achieve fùckall when the damage has been done to the child already.

They should have glued her to a wall before she committed the crime, and then the person that glued her to a wall should be glued to a wall.. and so on until everyone is glued to a wall.

Personally I'm going to invest in walls and glue

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

23 years old, former gang member, mother of 5, marijuana at age 11, bet up her 2 year old child and left her in a coma
    Hmmm..I do believe it was right to lock her away for life but "99 years in prison" is taunting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Or, maybe, the sentence wasn't excessive.

Maybe it's not right that you can murder people in this country and get a fifth of that sentence.

Maybe being a single mother is NO fucking excuse for child abuse. What she did was absolutely sick and disgusting and wrong. No excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

RosyLily wrote: »
    Mom who glued child's hand to wall gets 99 years

A Dallas woman who beat her two-year-old daughter and glued the toddler's hands to a wall was sentenced Friday to 99 years in prison. Elizabeth Escalona faced from probation to life in prison, and prosecutors had sought 45 years behind bars.

Family members in the courtroom sobbed loudly as the judge announced the 23-year-old mother's punishment.

Escalona pleaded guilty in July to felony injury to a child, but her mother and sister had pleaded for leniency on her behalf.

State District Judge Larry Mitchell said she "savagely beat" her child and deserved to be punished. Escalona's other children told authorities that their mother attacked Jocelyn Cedillo in September 2011 due to potty training problems. Police say she kicked her daughter in the stomach, beat her with a milk jug, then stuck her hands to an apartment wall with an adhesive commonly known as Super Glue.

Jocelyn suffered bleeding in her brain, a fractured rib, multiple bruises and bite marks, and was in a coma for a couple of days, a doctor testified at the sentencing hearing. Some skin had been torn off her hands, where doctors also found glue residue and white paint chips from the apartment wall.

Prosecutors portrayed Escalona as an unfit mother with a history of violence. They played recordings in which Escalona as a teenager threatened to kill her mother. They said she was a former gang member who started smoking marijuana at age 11.

"Only a monster glues her daughter's hands to the wall," Dallas County prosecutor Eren Price said during the hearing. Escalona asked for leniency, telling the judge she was no longer the monster who committed the attack. "I will never forgive myself for what I did to my own daughter," she said.

Dallas Police Sr. Cpl. Abel Lopez, who interviewed Escalona after the attack, showed in court a bottle of glue taken out of the family's apartment, as well as a section of a wall with Jocelyn's little handprints.

Jocelyn has since recovered and is now being cared for by her grandmother, Ofelia Escalona, who is taking care of her daughter's four other children, including a baby born this year.

To be fair, she did more stuff than "just" glue the childs hand to the wall, she beat the shît out of the little girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I've no problem with the sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I think the point should be - More prison time for murderers / rapists in Ireland maybe?! What is it 7 years or less for rape these days?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

She beat a defenceless child to within an inch of her life. The prosecutor had asked for 45 years. So fair play to the judge. People have to realise that they cannot torture children in this manner and get away with it. But we will never see such sentences imposed in this country.

I think the point should be - More prison time for murderers / rapists in Ireland maybe?! What is it 7 years or less for rape these days?

Definitely, it's like paying a small fee for a crime here

Which really means 3.:( Go figure. makes no sense to me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Don't they still have the death penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Oh god - when I read this bit;
    Escalona's other children told authorities that their mother attacked Jocelyn Cedillo in September 2011 due to potty training problems. Police say she kicked her daughter in the stomach, beat her with a milk jug, then stuck her hands to an apartment wall with an adhesive commonly known as Super Glue.

I actually felt physically ill.
    That poor little girl.

At first, reading op I was thinking that's ridiculous, but after reading on in the article - I'm thinking good enough for the bitch.
    May she rot away her years.

• Advertisement

They should have glued her to a wall before she committed the crime, and then the person that glued her to a wall should be glued to a wall.. and so on until everyone is glued to a wall.

Personally I'm going to invest in walls and glue

*slow clap*, have a rubber medal for that one!

I'll probably get carded for it but-

Sometimes URL, you're a funny fùcker;
    Other times, like in this instance, you're just a fùcker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

vicwatson wrote: »

not all crimes are punishable by it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Like remember that time where the guy diddled the tax man by declaring his garlic was apples, and even though he was agreeing repayment he got 6 years.

And like remember that time in the same week as above the woman who purposely drove her car into a man outside his house got...6 years. She had a perfectly good excuse as been off her face on drugs she mistook the person she killed for his son, which apparently got her a reduced sentence.

Ireland is definitely the place to kill people. And from reading some of the responses on here its also the right place to glue your child to the wall and beat her up. Ok so if 99 years is too much, try 80. That outta do the same job.

Yes, the state of Texas uses capital punishment but you can't put people on death row for this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

She systematically beat and tortured her. She should have got life without parole because she's obviously a dangerous psychopath. If she got life for child abuse no one would have noticed, 99 years just sounds like a ridiculous sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

darlett wrote: »
    Like remember that time where the guy diddled the tax man by declaring his garlic was apples, and even though he was agreeing repayment he got 6 years.

Its easy to agree to pay it back after your caught :rolleyes:

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

Yes, the state of Texas uses capital punishment but you can't put people on death row for this

Genuine question Nimrod as I did wonder why she wasn't given the death penalty when I read the OP alone, is it because this would've been just considered an assault as the child was still alive or some other legal technicality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I think it's too good for her - she should have been made suffer every torture she put that poor child through. Glue her to a wall and have a much bigger, stronger person kick seven shades out of her!
    What an absolute scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrroboito

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    23 years old, former gang member, mother of 5, marijuana at age 11, bet up her 2 year old child and left her in a coma

Sounds like this poor young woman never had a chance in life herself. It's a very sad story and I agree that a custodial sentence is appropriate but 99 years is ridiculous. I would think 15 max with the possibility of a reduction to 6 or 8 of she can get her life together, maybe get an education and take a great deal of counselling. I think this is unlikely and she will probably not get a second chance during her incarceration. Another pity.

I am also very unsure of whether the young woman's mother is an appropriate guardian for the five children. It doesn't seem like she has doe much of a job with her own children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Pottler wrote: »
    So she's stuck in pison for a century- that's super. I wonder will this break the mother-child bond?

When the kid grows up she'll probably visit her mother in prison and stick one on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Its easy to agree to pay it back after your caught :rolleyes:

Not the first to do the dirt with his tax, but yes admittedly no saint.

Getting the same sentence as the woman who killed the wrong man? Yeah thats fair. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Genuine question Nimrod as I did wonder why she wasn't given the death penalty when I read the OP alone, is it because this would've been just considered an assault as the child was still alive or some other legal technicality?

It says in the article the maximum punishment for the crime is 99 years. Pleaded guilty to felony injury to a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

mrroboito wrote: »
    Sounds like this poor young woman never had a chance in life herself. It's a very sad story and I agree that a custodial sentence is appropriate but 99 years is ridiculous. I would think 15 max with the possibility of a reduction to 6 or 8 of she can get her life together, maybe get an education and take a great deal of counselling. I think this is unlikely and she will probably not get a second chance during her incarceration. Another pity.

Jesus. Just because someone has a rough life doesn't mean they get free shots on other people. She's not deserving of another chance. Let her die there.
    I am also very unsure of whether the young woman's mother is an appropriate guardian for the five children. It doesn't seem like she has doe much of a job with her own children.

Yeah you'd be pretty much bang on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

This thread should be made a sticky :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I would honestly say that execution should be considered for people like this. She has contributed nothing to society apart from pain and suffering to her own offspring, a defenceless little girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

TheGunns wrote: »
    not all crimes are punishable by it

That should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

*slow clap*, have a rubber medal for that one!

I'll probably get carded for it but-

Sometimes URL, you're a funny fùcker;
    Other times, like in this instance, you're just a fùcker.

I hope you don't get carded for it. What you say is true, the same goes for everyone though. I agree with a lot of the stuff you say, but you can't agree with everyone all of the time.

You think that 99 years in prison is a logical and fair sentence for her. On the face of it, I don't. I don't see how it benefits anyone.. either her, her kids or society as a whole. Committing her indefinitely to a mental hospital and actually trying to help her would make a lot more sense to me, but there ya go.. opinions are like aresholes and all of that.

In Texas, the district courts have original jurisdiction for all criminal felony cases. If an individual is convicted of a capital felony, he or she may be subject to punishment by death, if the State sought such punishment. A capital felony is one in which an individual "intentionally or knowingly causes the death of an individual," under special circumstances. In particular, the:

murder of a public safety officer or firefighter in the line of duty
    murder during the commission of specified felonies (kidnapping, burglary, robbery, aggravated rape, arson)
    murder for remuneration
    multiple murders
    murder during prison escape
    murder of a correctional officer
    murder of a judge
    murder by a state prison inmate who is serving a life sentence for any of five offenses; [or]
    murder of an individual under six years of age.
    If the child had died, she would've qualified for death penalty

http://tarltonguides.law.utexas.edu/texas-death-penalty

And I don't like quoting Wikipedia but:
    Murder while incarcerated with one of the following three qualifiers:
    While incarcerated for capital murder, the victim is an employee of the institution or the murder must be done "with the intent to establish, maintain, or participate in a combination or in the profits of a combination",
    While incarcerated for either capital murder or murder, or
    While serving either a life sentence or a 99-year sentence under specified Penal Code sections not involving capital murder or murder.

Dunno where they got the info, but it seems 99 year sentences are common enough in Texas :rolleyes:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Texas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

She should be put to death. She put a baby in a coma - a two-year-old baby that relied on her to take care of her and keep her safe.

She kicked a baby, repeatedly, in the stomach, breaking her ribs. She smashed a milk jug over a baby's head. She glued a baby's hands to a wall until they bled.

She deserves to die.

I've heard of abusive parents, this must be the first adhesive parent. In fairness, was she all in it?? Some people should never become parents, sadly they are often the ones who end up having the most kids. Sad really, no parent now for 5 kids, where do they end up after all this? Probably like their mam, which is also another 99 years of crime.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

She should be executed.
    that's a possibility.

FEMA internment only around the corner and that will be without trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Deserved a hefty sentence - I've no sympathy. Horrific abuse. What difference does Ireland's sentencing make? This is Texas. But it's likely she had a f'ucked up life growing up, which is probably a large part of the reason for this. I mean... five children by 23?! Being in a gang, violent to her children, attacking her mother, drugs at 11? Christ that's depressing. I know she's responsible - along with the children's father(s) but it's unlikely a person with a non crap rearing would have all that behind them. The sentence punishes her, but what would benefit society is an end to childhoods like hers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Nah. I think executing her would be she wants. Make the bitch think about it for a century, if she lasts that long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Well she doesnt belong in civilised society anyway so where else for her only behind bars ?

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Pottler wrote: »
    I've heard of abusive parents, this must be the first adhesive parent. In fairness, was she all in it?? Some people should never become parents, sadly they are often the ones who end up having the most kids. Sad really, no parent now for 5 kids, where do they end up after all this? Probably like their mam, which is also another 99 years of crime.

I think its the opposite - these children have been saved from a nutter. Now they may have a decent shot at a childhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

No sympathy for her getting that sentence, although you do see murders getting less time.

She had no reason to kick her baby and glue her to the wall. WTF, she should be executed, the freak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I don't believe she's beyond redemption at the tender age of 23, especially when she showed such remorse (I know some will probably say that's only because she knew she was going down, but we've no way of knowing since we're not mindreaders). There's no guarantee she'll be the same person at 40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Madam_X wrote: »
    I don't believe she's beyond redemption at the tender age of 23, especially when she showed such remorse (I know some will probably say that's only because she knew she was going down, but we've no way of knowing since we're not mindreaders). There's no guarantee she'll be the same person at 40.

I'll risk it.

She only showed "remorse" because she knew she was going down.

Evil sadistic Cúnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

99's a cool number. Reminds me of the 99 ice cream. Why not 98 tho ? could be like 98fm or 101 like the number of dalmatians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to have children

• Advertisement
Advertisement