Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arguing with Parents

Options
  • 29-02-2008 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am always arguing with my parents. We argue about very petty everyday things like forgetting phone messages. Leaving fridge door open. Making noise at night etc. If i do any of these things they come down on me like a ton of bricks and often blow these things out of propertion. They go on and on. However when the situation is reversed and they do any of these things and i point out it to them they brush and 'thats different' or say i am picking on them. i cant seem to win. i would move out but dont really have many friends and would get lonely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

How old are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 crawford

too old to be living with parents

crawford wrote: »
    too old to be living with parents
    Well there you go. No need for any advise so, you already know the solution to your problem

i went through a bad patch when i was younger would have needed counselling but they never seemed to notice and/or didnt do anything. i grew up with a lot of problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

If you leave the fridge door open, do you apologise? Do you make a special effort to not do it again? Or is it always a fight? Be honest.

I think most people redefine their boundaries with their parents as they hit adulthood.

I would be annoyed if somebody did the things you talk about - why not try to be a bit more conscientous, or failing that find your own place? While you live with them you live by their rules, and they have probably earned some "me time" which will help them to chill out and not sweat the small stuff.

• Advertisement

squibs wrote: »
    If you leave the fridge door open, do you apologise? Do you make a special effort to not do it again? Or is it always a fight? Be honest.

if i do something small i get the blame whereas iwhenn the situation is reversed i still get the blame. i feel as if i cant win. also they both argue with each other

Seriously dude, move out. Their home, their rules. Rightly or wrongly you're in a lose/lose situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Being a parent and being a daughter i have never had a petty argument with my mum/nan as for my kids i am trying to get my 7 year old daughter to respect her bedroom and look after it like keeping it clean ect! i would not get in to words over the fridge door being open now thats being petty as for the making noise do you have wooding floors ! do your parents get on that much?

most conversations between us is arguing. at one time it would have been 90%. they have actually chilled a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

crawford wrote: »
    most conversations between us is arguing. at one time it would have been 90%. they have actually chilled a bit

I've found a trick with really argumentive people is, is that they need to fuel their rage, if you stop giving it they run out of it.

If you still feel the need to make a point (sometimes impossible in such cases) always always be calm, even if they effing and blinding. They will get the message eventually.

But my Advice would be to

Move out of home at least for a while, to sort your head out and get to know yourself better. You can't living at home, for the time being. Friends will come eventually, once you break away from the old patterns.

Secondly you can't change them, only yourself. So get out and enjoy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement