Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A radiator that cannot be bled

Options
  • 23-11-2014 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

I have 1 radiator that won't heat up and cannot be bled due to damage to the nut. Many have tried and failed to open it. It would seem that it's either a new rad, or a self tapping screw to facilitate bleeding. I have no idea about the latter option, other than it would save me money over a new rad. But if there are risks with future leaks etc., then the choice is easier. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

The self tapper will probably start leaking eventually but it's grand to get ya out of a hole.

What length is it and how many panels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

corkgsxr wrote: »
    The self tapper will probably start leaking eventually but it's grand to get ya out of a hole.

What length is it and how many panels

About 5ft long, single panel. Any possibility of leaking will make the decision easy as I'm not here quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I personally wouldn't drill a hole in a radiator and put a self tapping screw into it.
    The risk of a leak is not worth the hassle of the clean up or potential damage.
    Drop the radiator and try to carefully drill out the old vent screw. If that is not successful just replace the rad.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

what type of vent is it? sometimes a liong nosed vice grips can get them or a very small socket,some vents have a hex nut on the outside which can be loosened to vent rad

gdavis wrote: »
    what type of vent is it? sometimes a liong nosed vice grips can get them or a very small socket,some vents have a hex nut on the outside which can be loosened to vent rad

I've had a handyman remove the radiator and use every tool he had. He says it can't be removed, and all his efforts have rounded the nut and worn it away. I'd be fairly sure it can't be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

well then , carefully drill it out or replace so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

Try mixing up some epoxy filler available from car accessory shops in small tubes, fill the key with the filler and put it over the damaged valve and leave it for the time as directed on the tube, follow the instructions to the letter, with a bit of luck the valve should unscrew anti clockwise, there are other ways such as a screw extractor, this would mean drilling a hole in the stubborn screw, but a lot cheaper than buying a new radiator. an other way is welding a nut on the top of the old screw but not everyone has access to welding gear, but I would not even consider a new radiator

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bored_stupid

Have you tryed turning off all other radiators and then only leave the one not heating up open , then turn your heating on for about 20 mins till your radiator heats up then open the other radiator again i had a problem with one radiator not heating up and found a thread on boards which fixed this for me hav,nt had any problems since doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

gebbel wrote: »
    About 5ft long, single panel. Any possibility of leaking will make the decision easy as I'm not here quite a lot.

There cheap anyway

Have you tryed turning off all other radiators and then only leave the one not heating up open , then turn your heating on for about 20 mins till your radiator heats up then open the other radiator again i had a problem with one radiator not heating up and found a thread on boards which fixed this for me hav,nt had any problems since doing this.

I'll try that thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I'll try that thanks.

Pointless. That's not gonna take the air out of the top of the rad

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Pointless. That's not gonna take the air out of the top of the rad

You're right it didn't work. I'm going to buy a new one. I see there's a liquidation sale of rads in Athy on donedeal. While I'm at it I'll order a double rad as the single wasn't great at heating the room, when it worked. Thanks all.

You're right it didn't work. I'm going to buy a new one. I see there's a liquidation sale of rads in Athy on donedeal. While I'm at it I'll order a double rad as the single wasn't great at heating the room, when it worked. Thanks all.

As long as the rad is new. Don't chance it with a second hand rad

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    As long as the rad is new. Don't chance it with a second hand rad

Fair enough. Should I wait for the plumber to tell me which rad to buy, or just order myself using the same dimensions? Are there more efficient ones that I should consider? The faulty one is 10 years old. Cheers.

Fair enough. Should I wait for the plumber to tell me which rad to buy, or just order myself using the same dimensions? Are there more efficient ones that I should consider? The faulty one is 10 years old. Cheers.

Just get a plumber to do the lot I'd say

Advertisement