Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

question to plumbers and those who know

• 23-11-2014 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24

Dear people ..
    i live in a relativly new house ...2001
    this house has a direct water mains supply ..
    however , under the stairs there is a pressure vessel
    what is this for ?

I thought that only houses with a well and a pump needed a vessel ?/

as far as i can see the mains water goes to
    the kitchen cold tap and the main water tank upstairs....the other cold taps, and toilets are , i suppose gravity fed from this tank ?

or am i wrong ? what is this vessel all about and how does it affect my water pressure ?

If anyone has a few minutes top write a few lines i would be most gratefuil ..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

I would say it is an expansion vessel on the heating circuit? to allow for expansion in the sealed heating system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

gdavis wrote: »
    I would say it is an expansion vessel on the heating circuit? to allow for expansion in the sealed heating system

Normally but not always this way.

Red vessel is for pressurized central heating.
    White is for pressurized hot water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 Bellabidul

ok ...thanks for some guesses , the vessel is red ...
    also it does not get hot when the water or the heating is on ...

i dont know about sealed system .. the tank in the attic is open ... there is only one tank that everything seems to come out of ...

does that help for another guess

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

You on gas or oil heating?
    System could be semi-sealed

I'll proberly get BANNED for telling you this.

Only one tank in the attic. That supplys your taps.
    Central heating is a sealed pressurized system filled up from the water mains.

You will need somebody to have a look at it someday to explain it to you.
    friend, neighbour, or service engineer if your getting a boiler service.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

I wish it were the case Scudo, but in this part of the country and others, there are all too many CH systems where feed has been taken from the cold water storage directly into CH via a non-return (so called semi-sealed) and would have a single tank and an expansion vessel.

Hi Bella.
    There's a couple of different types of heating systems out there. As my buddy DGOBS correctly reminded me.
    Nothing to worry about, a good service man would explain anything you need to know if they saw it.
    Couple of service engineers here if you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 Bellabidul

ok ,, once again thanks for the replies ... i will have to ask a plumber or someone who is around here , maybe things are difficult to visualize when your not looking at them ...
    i was writing here with the hope that some one may just know , or have the same system and explain it to me ...

I didnt think the vessel was part of the central heating system ,, which is an oil fired boiler , as it never gets hot ....so i assume its on the cold water side ...

I also didnt think it was a sealed system ( not sure what you mean by semi sealed )
    As i remember once when we had a radiator problem we had to go around some of them and bleed them to get some air out ... so , i suppose then the water must be able to get in ? ..right ?

why i was asking , is that it seems the water pressure upstairs , in the bathroom and the shower , seems to have got worse ...and maybe that tank would need to have more air put in it again ,, but i just dont understand how if the water comes out of the tank , in the attic , the vessel can effect it if it just runs in ,,, so theres obviously something I dont know about it ...
    well there are probably lots of things i dont know about it ,, i couldnt find anything online , so i thought i would as on here
    but i suppose really i get a plumber to come over and point at things to tell me why and how ...and maybe get better pressure upstairs if possible ....

However I thank you all for your time in writing here ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

your drop in water pressure could be a pump issue? have u a pump in hot press maybe? you should hear it come on when you open bathroom tap,the expansion vessel wont get hot to touch,maybe if u post up few pics of vessel,hot press pipe configuration etc. we may be able to fill in the blanks for you

• Registered Users Posts: 48 donedl1

Water hammer arrester?

• Advertisement
Advertisement