Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! Remote Thermostat and Heating

Options
  • 17-11-2014 10:02pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a problem that's doing my head in.

At the moment I have a gas boiler which appears to be split into two zones (heating and hot water). You can turn the hot water on from the hot press on its own. The main boiler switch will turn everything on.

I'm looking for something that will allow me control the heating and hot water remotely. I've no cylinder thermostat and would like to avoid putting one in. Really with the hot water I just want something that will allow me turn it on remotely or have it set to come on, say, 5 days at week at 7 for an hour. I'm not bothered about controlling the temperature of the water.

I was looking at the Heatmiser Neo but it appears you need a cylinder thermostat for this.

I don't care what the hot water switch looks like but I would like a stylish looking thermostat for the boiler.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Does the Heatmiser NeoStat-Hw require a cylinder thermostat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Best option would be the Nest Thermostat Electric Ireland are offering for free now no? You'd have to buy a second unit for the hot water boiler - the nest will do your gas boiler for heating and hot water.

micosoft wrote: »
    Best option would be the Nest Thermostat Electric Ireland are offering for free now no? You'd have to buy a second unit for the hot water boiler - the nest will do your gas boiler for heating and hot water.

So basically buy two nests?

I'd literally just signed up for Energia the week before the Nest came out.

I'm confused as to how the Nest will work the water - is it just treating it as a separate zone? The nest is marketed as not being able to do your central heating.

Any further thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Shane732 wrote: »

I'm confused as to how the Nest will work the water - is it just treating it as a separate zone? The nest is marketed as not being able to do your central heating.

Nest can't control your water , so you would need one nest for your heating , and keep your water as it is .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

GSM unit x 2. One for H/W and one for C/H. Should be able to connect onto existing wiring.

http://www.smscentralheating.co.uk/central-heating-control

Egass13 wrote: »
    Nest can't control your water , so you would need one nest for your heating , and keep your water as it is .

That's what I thought. I think the Heatmiser Hw stat will work without a cylinder thermostat but can't see any confirmation of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

That's what I thought. I think the Heatmiser Hw stat will work without a cylinder thermostat but can't see any confirmation of this.

Why don't you want to use a cyl stat?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Why don't you want to use a cyl stat?

I'm being told it's a big enough job to have one put in. I've no problem using a cylinder stat.

How much would supply and installation typically cost?

• Advertisement

Par1 wrote: »

Ok and is clearing an area off a pre insulated tank a problem? Do I need a motorised valve as well?

Apologies for all the questions.

Ok and is clearing an area off a pre insulated tank a problem? Do I need a motorised valve as well?

Apologies for all the questions.

Area can be cleaned off insulated tank in under one minute. No you don't need motorised valve as all the cylinder stat is doing is breaking the live feed. If wiring is already there cylinder stat takes less than 5 minutes to fit. Also you may use 1 meter of HR flex so add about 60 cent to the budget for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

It's not ideal. Am using the Nest for heating and just a timer for the hot water tank. TBH that works as the Hot water tank is just for summer (no central heating) for showers in the morning.

That said competition is arriving - http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/11/17/apple-store-now-selling-ecobee3-smart-thermostat-competitor-to-googles-nest-products

looks interesting. I suspect Nest will need to respond to this and Internationalising their product. Hot water tanks seem quite unique to Ireland and UK. Hopefully remote units for controlling hot water tanks and remote temp sensors will arrive soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

My father distributes these wireless thermostats that control both heating and hot water, and can be activated via an iOS or Android app, or over the internet. They're fairly basic in terms of interface, but work well - you have 5/2 day settings and 6 temperature program points per day, or 3 hot water programs, and you can do hot water boosts remotely too. There's a holiday mode option also.

I believe you would also need a zone wiring box along with that too, which would go where your current wall thermostat/heating control is wired.

Area can be cleaned off insulated tank in under one minute. No you don't need motorised valve as all the cylinder stat is doing is breaking the live feed. If wiring is already there cylinder stat takes less than 5 minutes to fit. Also you may use 1 meter of HR flex so add about 60 cent to the budget for that.

Ok to basically it's a nothing job then?

Ok to basically it's a nothing job then?

I wouldn't say its a nothing job it obviously will take some time (very little). The person who told you its a big enough job is pulling your leg in my opinion and is just trying to justify charging an excessive amount, why else would one say a small job is a big job?....get a second opinion (or third :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

I wouldn't say its a nothing job it obviously will take some time (very little). The person who told you its a big enough job is pulling your leg in my opinion and is just trying to justify charging an excessive amount, why else would one say a small job is a big job?....get a second opinion (or third :) )

Which live feed are you breaking with your method par 1 ? You will need a motorised valve to shut down the water zone but still allow boiler to heat rads ? You don't use a cylinder stat to break the live to a boiler.

It'll be a 3rd opinion!

The guy I have now is very good value for everything else I'm getting done. I think he's just reluctant to install the stat - not familiar with the darn internet!!

Just another question - can you get smart immersion switches?

Advertisement