Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time road bike, what to buy and how much?

Options
  • 11-07-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,

I am looking to buy my first road bike for casual cycling as well as a future duathalon, as I am currently a runner too. I am a complete novice on bikes so unsure what's the best, good quality bike starting out. My budget is around the 500 to 1000 max. I don't want to be ripped off either! What do ye recommend? :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

As a novice myself I got a Giant Defy 4, find it very good. Its in the middle of your budget at around 700 quid. Google the reviews, they are generally positive and I can't fault the bike. Don't have much to compare it against though!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Hi,

I am looking to buy my first road bike for casual cycling as well as a future duathalon, as I am currently a runner too. I am a complete novice on bikes so unsure what's the best, good quality bike starting out. My budget is around the 500 to 1000 max. I don't want to be ripped off either! What do ye recommend? :-)

I'd first of all suggest that whatever you buy, make sure it fits. After that, the frame and wheels are the most significant parts of the bike in terms of performance, so it's generally better to put cash into those areas and then look at components. Also, not sure if you are able to avail of the bike to work scheme but if you are, you could consider putting a bit more money into the bike, since you would get it back in the tax rebate.

Advertisement