Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute through phoenix park - road bike suitable?

Options
  • 20-05-2014 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I know similar questions are asked a lot so ye are probably sick of them. I am planning on buying a giant defy 3 or some sort of hybrid (probably a Giant rapid 3) this week for a ~25k round-trip commute from d15 through the phoenix park to the IFSC.

I have searched a lot on this forum to try help me decide whether I should be going for a road bike or a hybrid and read that the road condition is not great on chesterfield avenue etc. and the cycle lane is often clogged up with non-cyclists so some end up using the road (I am looking at it from the possibility of having to use the road which may not be in great condition).

Would I be better off with a road bike or hybrid for this commute taking the surface and the journey etc into account?

I would like to do some cycling outside of the commute but the bike will be probably mostly for the commute (that could change of course but i've no idea). I doubt I could upgrade again until the 5 years have passed for BTW. I will be attaching a pannier rack but will just be mainly carrying clothes and very rarely a laptop.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Between Castleknock and the first roundabout the road is in poor condition but nothing that a road bike would flinch at. Rest of the way down is fine and was resurfaced in the last couple of years. The cycle lane only really gets clogged at times when people are using the park - mornings are fine, evenings often aren't. I just use the road.

I'd go with a road bike. I think hybrids have their place but most people who decide to stick with cycling and do anything outside the commute wish they would have bought a road bike. If you ever decided to join a cycling club then most will only allow road bikes (main reason being flat bars can get caught in road bars).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Based on the above, definitely buy a road bike.

If you're worried about making a mistake, maybe buy something cheaper like a second hand Carrera TDF and save your BTW allowance until you're sure about the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That's my commute. Road bike perfect. Surfaces are excellent. Cycle lane fine except for some sunny summer evenings when I just go slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

A road bike is fine for the park. If I was heading to the ifsc from Dublin 15 I'd head along the canal, which will bring you into the correct part of the city and avoid most of the traffic. A hybrid bike would be much better along the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Lumen wrote: »
    That's my commute. Road bike perfect. Surfaces are excellent. Cycle lane fine except for some sunny summer evenings when I just go slower.

This. My commute is D15 to Hatch Street, and I do it on a road bike (8 year old Trek with a rack and pannier). Typically on the way in though I'm going fast enough that I would be passing a lot of the cyclists on the path, so I stay on the road and it's fine once you're between the first and last roundabouts, even in the hard shoulder/parking lane/whatever (this is more broken up on the stretches to/from the gates). This actually makes my decision to stay on the road even easier, as I basically have that lane to myself from the first roundabout until basically the zoo.

On the way home it depends on how energetic I'm feeling, but with it being uphill and in the evening I tend to be going a little slower and may stay on the cycle path, though salmon cyclists, rollerbladers and people cycling 2 abreast are encouraging me towards the road again more and more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭idiottje

I have a Rapid. Bought it on the bike to work and use it for the commute. Regretted not getting a road bike so much I went out and bought a Defy which I use for weekends and some commute. There is very little in the Park you will have an issue with on a Road bike unless you plan of going off road. Do invest in a set of Gator Skins or similar if you are commuting! Best thing you will buy to prevent puncture pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Allabaah

Road bike is the way to go with Gator skins. It will make the cycle easier and more enjoyable in the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

It's misconception that a road bike can't handle bad roads. As anyone who's braved the Mick Byrne Randonee will tell you. They are surprisingly versatile.

But for me a hybrid is that bit more comfortable for commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

LennoxR wrote: »
    It's misconception that a road bike can't handle bad roads.

This thread needs Paris Roubaix pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Idleater wrote: »
    This thread needs Paris Roubaix pictures

Or Gael Force West:
    Gaelforce+West+066.jpg
    The vast majority of participants hit this section and worse on road bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

A road bike with clearance for mudguards as well as the pannier mounts would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Don't get too hung up on hybrid vs road bike. There are flat-bar bikes out there with lighter frames and thinner tyres than many road bikes. Cycling through the Park should be no problem on either but 25 or 28mm tyres would be more comfortable than 23mm. Around town I have always found that flat-bars are easier on the back and neck as you can cycle with your hands on the brakes without being too bent over. It all depends on body flexibility and personal preference so try out a range of bikes with and without drops before you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Changing jobs in a few weeks and looking forward to my commute through that park again - carpenterstown to merrion square.

I use a cheap and chearful b'twin Triban - 23mm tyres and crud mud guards. Been using it in a 40km commute for a while and wouldn't imagine it any other way - drop handle bars give more options.

As others have pointed out the surface is fine and nothing a bike with narrow tyres couldn't handle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Thanks for the information everyone. I have been cycling through the park for the past 3 or so weeks. The cycle lanes are nice to have.

There are some very dangerous layouts at most of the roundabouts though. Coming from the cycle lane I have to watch 3-4 directions for cars who could show up at any moment as I am not on the road - the worst junction being the one at Áras an Uachtaráin. Its actually very dangerous. I see some cyclists just cycle right through many of the junctions - it looks like they think they have right of way. It is crazy that there is no way to join the road before the roundabout so as to only have to give way to your right. Cars often indicate at the last minute (or when very bright out it is hard to see their indicator light) and end up on the road crossing in front of you within seconds.

Does anyone know who is responsible for the road layout in the park? I would like to contact them and ask if they could add paths to allow cyclists to join the road before reaching the roundabout.

The only safe roundabout is the first one coming from the city center when you are travelling from the city center as you are on the road beside traffic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Stick to the road. It's safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Stick to the road. It's safer.

And beware of the full moon!

I sent an email to the OPW letting them know how dangerous it currently is for cyclists to cross the roads that connect to Chesterfield Avenue when cycling on the cycle paths. I suggested including paths to be able to leave the cycle lanes before reaching the roundabout and to join again after the roundabout. They have forwarded it on to the Park Management.

They also included:
    [FONT=Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
    OPW wrote:
    Indeed, we have recently commissioned an expert group to review the cycle lanes and pedestrian paths in the Phoenix Park with a view to improving safety for all users of the Phoenix Park
    [/FONT][FONT=Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]I wonder if there is scope to talk to users as part of this.[/FONT][FONT=Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] I will respond and ask them this.[/FONT][FONT=Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A road bike is fine for the park. If I was heading to the ifsc from Dublin 15 I'd head along the canal, which will bring you into the correct part of the city and avoid most of the traffic. A hybrid bike would be much better along the canal.

I bought a cyclocross with this in mind.

I've gone from Hybrids, to a road bike (and agree with a poster above that you'll eventually want to move to a road bike) and now I've moved to a cycloX (with road tyres for the summer).

Some stretches of the canal are lovely.

The park is very do'able on a road bike but I find in the summer months you're sharing the paths with joggers (I'm one), skaters, buggies & prams etc

The OPW say that the Chief Park Supt is dealing with the group and the person I am in contact with doesnt know the method of study at this stage but that any email they receive with submissions/ideas etc are expected to be passed to the group. I guess that means send in your ideas/suggestions etc to the OPW.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I don't really get the idea of hybrids... If you want a decent bike with suspension for that money just buy a hard tail, but if you plan on never hitting the trail with it I'd go for the lightest road bike you can buy for your money.

I own a hard tail mtb, and I often look at people's bikes which are half the weight if mine in envy. But of course I do off road stuff and plan on getting into enduro.

Having said that my quads are coming along nicely. :D

• Advertisement

Started using the road through the phoenix park the last 2 days and have found it a much more enjoyable commute. Only have to give way to the right at the roundabouts, don't have to stop at the other roads either. Only bad patch of road (and it is very cycleable) is the small stretch at the castleknock end. Thanks everyone.

Advertisement