Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unicycles

• 09-06-2014 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭

Does anyone on here have a unicycle? Do you use it much? What made you get it? Where does one get a unicycle in Ireland?

I used to work with a guy years ago in England who would part commute to work on a unicycle. He also juggled and did firebreathing, but not all at the same time. I just thought about him this morning and it made me curious, hence the questions above.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I did see a fellow on a unicycle on Nassau St (Dublin City Centre) within the last few months. He was rolling down the footpath and deftly avoiding various obstacles (pedestrians, bins, lamposts, etc.). Looked like an interesting diversion, but not too practical in town (like fixies! *ducks*).

Can't help you tracking one down though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

No Pants wrote: »
    Does anyone on here have a unicycle? Do you use it much? What made you get it? Where does one get a unicycle in Ireland?

I used to work with a guy years ago in England who would part commute to work on a unicycle. He also juggled and did firebreathing, but not all at the same time. I just thought about him this morning and it made me curious, hence the questions above.

What's that you say? No Pants has volunteered to do the Evil 200 2015 on a Unicycle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

https://www.thebikeshop.ie/details.aspx?pid=P1254&cid=&sid=

Bike Shop in Wexford have a few in store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

My dad used to commute to work on a unicycle but then he got...two tyred..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

JC's supermarket in Swords have them in now and again around 35-40 euros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I used to do long rides (>5km) on a unicycle. It had a fairly large wheel which helped the ride quality.

The novelty eventually wore off. It requires a strong emotional constitution.

Cyclists are used to people treating them like total spa's, but riding around on a unicycle takes it to a whole new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

imagine that, commuting to work, juggling and firebreathing & who said men can't multitask!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

Bloggsie wrote: »
    imagine that, commuting to work, juggling and firebreathing & who said men can't multitask!

You'd want to be "wheely" good at it to avoid getting seriously injured!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

If you are old enough to have a Boards account, you are too old to learn, IMHO. The kids started by supporting between the refuse bin and recycling bin, just rocking back and forth.

Broke my heart laughing the day I spotted the younger girl cycling around inside the trampoline (with side netting).

LBS should get you one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Roadtoad wrote: »
    If you are old enough to have a Boards account, you are too old to learn, IMHO. The kids started by supporting between the refuse bin and recycling bin, just rocking back and forth.

Broke my heart laughing the day I spotted the younger girl cycling around inside the trampoline (with side netting).

LBS should get you one.
    My LBS is good, I'll ask them about it next time I'm in. It should give them a laugh if nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

They turn up on adverts/donedeal fairly often I think. I was tempted to buy one a year ago and there were 3/4 for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I was tempted to buy one a year ago and there were 3/4 for sale.

3/4? Three quarters of less than half a bike? Jaysus, that's taking weight reduction a bit too far. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

unless youre planning on joining the circus theyre just plain silly

Yeah, but it's one of those challenging skills that I'd like to learn maybe. I don't intend it to go anywhere, but it might be fun to learn how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

A unicycle is just that, it's not a bicycle and so should be treated with the same suspicion and distrust associated with black socks and disk brake road bikes.
    Unicycles are to cycling what motor bikes are to cars, half. One doesn't see car drivers going, 'hey look, half a car' no they say 'oh look a motor bike'.

Imho unicyclists are mostly clowns plain and simple. The only reason to become a unicyclist when you should know better is if you're renting a campus bike from a college.
    There should be a Euro or Velo rule about this topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Have seen them for sale in 'Call Of The Wild' in Sligo.

Aren't unicycles fixies as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

No Pants wrote: »
    Aren't unicycles fixies as well?

No, I had a 21 speed before, nippy as f*ck it was !! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

unless youre planning on joining the circus theyre just plain silly

Many people believe that adults using any form of bike are silly (“I suspect deep-seated insecurities, Joe, but let’s not go there”). They are prejudiced though .

Of those of us that see bicycles as perfectly normal to use at any age there are many that see wearing shorts as silly (“Let’s call them what they are, Joe, they are “short pants”, and they are intended for unwilling self-conscious school kids only, they are *not* for adults”), but they are prejudiced. Many consider lycra shorts as even more silly (“They’re gay, Joe, GAY! Stop them from making me stare, Joe, I’m secretly worried that people will think I secretly lust after other men!”), but they are prejudiced.

Fixies are the spawn of the devil according to many (“Hipsters, Joe, tantamount to damned hippy-ness!”), but they are prejudiced. MTB’s are not serious bikes at all (“Sure they’re just BMX’s going through their hormonal teens, Joe, an abomination, Joe!”), but they are prejudiced.

Anything with disc brakes is offensive to many (“The sole of a shoe against a tyre was good enough in my day, Joe, those disc brakes are pandering to the big girl’s blouse in today’s generation. They’re soft, Joe, SOFT!”), but they are prejudiced.

Recumbents, three-wheelers, tandems, TT bikes, etc., are silly to many (“They’re not traditional Joe, sure the UCI only acknowledge the existence of some of them and that’s begrudgingly!”), but they are prejudiced.

When it boils right down to it, and being completely unprejudiced, the only non-silly bicycle is a 2-wheeled 3-speed sit-up-and-beg type, with full mudguards, a pie plate, a chain guard, and only when ridden by someone dressed in a 3-piece tweed suit (“No wimmin, Joe, wimmin on bikes ain’t natural Joe!”). Conform, or be derided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

You might end up a National Champion!

310454.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

So now that we are decided on a unicycle, what kind of rig do we need?
    I presume a carbon fork, carbon seatpost, Look pedals, 172.5mm cranks,deep section carbon rims, maybe a Conti 4000S tyre to deal with the changeable weather.

Which shop is best for unicycle fitting these days?

Any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Just do it, they're not silly or anything, just don't make a big deal about it in public...act like its totally normal and people tend to overlook most things. Learning a new skill is always a good thing, no matter how pointless others see it as.

Advertisement