Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

eldwaro wrote: »
    alot of this should be kept to the match thread people...

one thing i want to discuss....Enrique's omission...

sceal there?

If he decided that he wanted to add Carragher's big game experience, seniority and local understanding to this tie then it meant Enrique had to step aside with Johnson and Agger being two of our better players this season when they've been fit.

Additionally, Everton pose a well known aeriel threat at set pieces and can be direct so it could have been argued that playing three central defenders would be beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He's been poor enough recently.
    Agger is too good to be left out.
    Carra sentimentally got the nod.

All 3 perhaps.

felt myself agreeing with all three tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭klose

Just watched the highlights there, nearly cried! Im thrilled for caroll what a massive goal, worked his socks off. Defenders must hate playing against suarez, serious handfull. Haters gonna hate but I absolutely love this club :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

darced wrote: »

Shelvey would look poor on the wing as well. Doesn't really suit either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He's been poor enough recently.
    Agger is too good to be left out.
    Carra sentimentally got the nod.

All 3 perhaps.

Agree with the first two. However, Kenny has already shown he has no issue keeping Carra out of the side so not sure about the third.

I'd also add in that he may have felt we'd be more solid on the flanks with Agger as opposed to Enrique on his recent form & with Jones in goal, it was advisable to try & limit in a big way the number of crosses he'd have to deal with.

Also, whatever people may say about Carra (I don't wanna see him starting, but people have been too harsh), Kenny always picks a combative team who understand the Derby when we meet Everton-considering he's become the first Liverpool manager to ever beat them 3 times in a season, it's hard to argue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

As a LFC fan Im delighted to be in another final. Top effort lads.

However I still find myself questioning a lot of Kennys decisions: Why start Carra (which threatened to backfire, after that error, he was more at fault than Agger IMO, he should have called it and hoofed it, especially when he could see everything around him)

Also, taking Downing off, he was causing Baines loads of trouble. Granted Bellers put in a great ball for Andys goal.

I dont think Kenny and the current back room team are the way forward, but Im still delighted we won today. I know one fan who actually said at one stage he hoped Everton would win so KK would get the boot!!

I think Rafa is the man for the job, but I would have absolutely no problem if either:n

a) Kenny proved the doubters wrong next season, or
    b) Someone else came in and won us a league title.

LFC for life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I know one fan who actually said at one stage he hoped Everton would win so KK would get the boot!!

That person is not a fan tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

darced wrote: »

I thought Gerrard was average at best to be perfectly honest. Thats not where we won the game i reckon.

Enrique may have been very poor of late but to switch Agger to LB and bring Carra in at centre half is madness. As much as i hate seeing Carra at RB i'd have preferred to see him there rather than in the middle, switch Glen Johnson to LB, and then keep the Skytel-Agger partnership in the middle. Or else play Coates in the middle and Agger can then play LB. I think Kenny was always gonna play Carra today, being the local derby and a day for the grinders. Anything is better than Carra at centre half at this stage, he's so slow and has to play so deep that Brad Jones looks like the centre half at times and Carra the goalie :eek:

anyone have links to the post match interviews?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

I thought Gerrard was average at best to be perfectly honest. Thats not where we won the game i reckon.

Enrique may have been very poor of late but to switch Agger to LB and bring Carra in at centre half is madness. As much as i hate seeing Carra at RB i'd have preferred to see him there rather than in the middle, switch Glen Johnson to LB, and then keep the Skytel-Agger partnership in the middle. Or else play Coates in the middle and Agger can then play LB. I think Kenny was always gonna play Carra today, being the local derby and a day for the grinders. Anything is better than Carra at centre half at this stage, he's so slow and has to play so deep that Brad Jones looks like the centre half at times and Carra the goalie :eek:

I know what you are saying PP.......but I think its a bit over the top to say Kennys selections were madness when they worked,we won and are into our 2nd final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Great to get the win - Just re-watched the highlights there. Carroll was great for the whole game. Suarez was brilliant too.

Our trouble spot was midfield. They were too static when the defense had the ball. Didn't give any options to pass. Put the defense under pressure. Typical of Gerrard in a 4-4-2. Can't wait for Lucas to return.

Looking forward to a settled back four again, it's been a while.

Jones did well. What a nice man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's just impossible for you to win a discussion with me because you are always wrong. As I said, how long should players/managers be given time to prove themselves? Should we still have Neil Mellor at the club because he set up a goal in the CL against Olympiacos or scored a cracker against Arsenal? Carroll has been muck for the whole time he has been here, you might disagree and think he's been excellent, fair enough. Scoring a goal against a relegation battling side or a mid-table premier league outfit doesn't change that fact. If today performance showed you he's been worth £35m or can be as Van Persie, Rooney, Ageuro, Tevez or even Adebayor then you are more delluded than I originally thought. Either that or your standards for where Liverpool should be are alot further behind than mine. Maybe the 4 year timescale is right, maybe by then he'll finally accept Carragher isn't good enough to start for us, unlikely though.

Where did I say Carroll was worth £35m? (that's your style of posting!)

We all know he wasn't worth the fee and you keep going on about that, but the fee is not Carroll's fault and he should not be criticised over it all the time.

I disagree totally that Carroll has been muck for the whole time, he had a tough start, had fitness issues, media pressure and then confidence issues. Also think Kenny did him no favours by not picking him, but he has definitely improved as the season has gone on and I'm hoping that he will no go on to be a successful player for us.
    I think the difference is that I want him to be a success but you come across as wanting him to fail all because of a price tag he had no control over.

My standards are quite high as to where Liverpool should be but if people thought that Liverpool should be challenging for titles a year after Hodgson had them flirting with relegation then they are deluded.
    Kenny has had to come from a very low base and that doesn't happen in one season, and I believe that both he and some players should be given more than one season to prove their worth.

Your Neil Mellor comments are laughable by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

LimGal wrote: »
    I know what you are saying PP.......but I think its a bit over the top to say Kennys selections were madness when they worked,we won and are into our 2nd final.

Carra was played and Enrique was left out because of the aerial threat that Everton pose, hence keeping Agger in the team. Thats all i can think of being honest. That and Kenny gave him the nod because of sentiment. Maybe a bit of both? A more attacking team would have caused us a lot of problems in that back four.

We could have had Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique as our back four and done the same job at least IMO. I think it wasnt a great move leaving out Enrique, who has been very good for us this season, in favour of Carra playing, who hasnt been great for some time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What Carra said this morning
    I know I am not first-choice but if people get knocks or suspensions I am there to come in and help and do as well as I can. I would never think about moving on in the summer, no, no.

So he recognises his place in the scheme of things apparently, it would be good for Dalglish endorse this by playing Coates when one of Agger/Skrtel isn't playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jones did well. What a nice man.

Seems to be a classy individual alright, and it looked like the win meant an awful lot to him.

Also, he might have looked a tad shakey at times, but **** me - he came out and attacked every ball. It was gutsy, even if it wasn't brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Seems to be a classy individual alright, and it looked like the win meant an awful lot to him.

Also, he might have looked a tad shakey at times, but **** me - he came out and attacked every ball. It was gutsy, even if it wasn't brilliant.

Really liked the one were he flattened Carroll to get a fist on it, love seeing a keeper just clear averyone to get to a ball!!

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Really liked the one were he flattened Carroll to get a fist on it, love seeing a keeper just clear averyone to get to a ball!!

as a keeper myself, i can tell you it isnt easy to come for those balls. just the other day i made the mistake of staying on the line and cost us a goal...vital he was brave and came out...

and not many can argue the man, and his family deserves some happy memories.

I think no matter how you feel about Carra as a player, you can't help but like this interview.
    Think it shows how much the club means to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Anyone any links to extended highlights? Was foggin it this afternoon when the match was on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

mike65 wrote: »
    What Carra said this morning

So he recognises his place in the scheme of things apparently, it would be good for Dalglish endorse this by playing Coates when one of Agger/Skrtel isn't playing.

I haven't seen that much of him this season but have read a lot of bad reports on here. Should he do the G.Neville and realize he is past it and retire?

ardinn wrote: »
    Anyone any links to extended highlights? Was foggin it this afternoon when the match was on!

Am I getting old as I have genuinely no idea what this means?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

RasTa wrote: »
    I haven't seen that much of him this season but have read a lot of bad reports on here. Should he do the G.Neville and realize he is past it and retire?

with the added games of the europa league he is still needed but will certainly be 4th choice CB next season and that is prob the level he is at.

It also gives us an extra year to blood the like of wisdom into the 1st team set up and I am sure Carra's experience would be invaluable here.

Also have Danny Wilson who iirc is out on loan at Blackpool. Anyone know is he playing regularly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

murpho999 wrote: »
    Am I getting old as I have genuinely no idea what this means?

Anyone any links to extended highlights? Important bit.

Was foggin it - Sleeping

murpho999 wrote: »

I think no matter how you feel about Carra as a player, you can't help but like this interview.
    Think it shows how much the club means to him.

a few weeks back, some people might remember me slating carra a bit...thinking he was a little bit toxic to the defence...

today that little misjudgement between him and agger may have supported me more than anything else...

but when i saw carra choking up at the end of that interview...that all just went out the window...while i dont want him starting ahead of agger and skrtle, or in fact johnson or enrique, carra may be the exception to the rule on noone deserving a squad spot on merit alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Unfortunately the manager is overly sentimental like yourself and it will continue to cost us should it continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Unfortunately the manager is overly sentimental like yourself and it will continue to cost us should it continue.

The owners aren't. They need words like "sentiment" explained to them. They wonder if there's a futures market dealing in "sentiment".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Leiva wrote: »
    Spurs or Chelsea ?

Who do you want and why ?

discuss.

I'd prefer Spurs.

Chelsea have improved since RDM came in and have much more experience than Spurs in Cup finals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I thought Spearing was class today. Some very incisive passes in the final third too.

I thought he was very very poor. Offers very little. A defensive midfielder is a must in the summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement