Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

• 01-03-2008 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My GP recommended that I go for this therapy after a psychological analysis with him yesterday. Has anyone ever experienced it or have any knowledge of it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 babydoll2008

I havent had experience of this but ive wrote a paper on it. it can be used to treat depression and disorders. Its aimed to change the behaviour of the client, but to change the negative outlook of which the client sees themselves as which may be caused by early failures or negative events in life or the death of a close one. They help people to change their perceptions and to use reasoning and through changed thought processes to alter their behaviour.

It is very effective especially for depression. Is that any help to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

CBT is very good. Google it. Also a book called 'Mind Over Mood'. This is a brilliant workbook.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

Another excellent book is 'Stop Thinking - Start Living' by Richard Carlson. It's also about altering your own mood and limiting your negative thought patterns. The first thing it advises is to start paying attention to the content of your own thoughts; I did that and I was actually astounded at the amount of negative self-talk I was admonishing myself with every day. I found that book very beneficial in giving those pointless thoughts the boot! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I had a friend who had 8 sessions a few years ago. She told me a bit about it. How the therapist talked through how she felt about situations and why she reacted like she did (my friend suffered from panic disorder, amongst many other things). My friend kept saying she wanted to be normal and she said the therapist made her feel a lot better about this as she talked to her about what was "normal" and what "normal reactions" to things were. The therapist just tried to help her see how she could react to things better and deal with people/situations better (my friend suffered from manic periods where she'd go off on one about something trivial, it was actually quite scary to see). From what she told me she found it really helpful and it made her feel a lot better and on top of things. She said analysing the way she thought when she was in sessions made her do that during the normal day as well so she felt in more control and calmer.

In the long term, I'm not so sure if they helped her. A few months after the sessions she had a few very bad episodes (it got to the stage where she was causing harm to other people's lives) and ended up losing touch with us all and moving back with her parents.

I'm only passing on what she said about it, I know she said they helped a lot so maybe you should do some more research and see. Everyone's mind works differently so I'd imagine it would have a stronger effect on some people than others.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I haven't had it but I know some people who have and found it to be very good. It's worth a try, and it won't do you any harm.
    Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement