Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to program (C+/php/java.....)

Options
  • 25-04-2007 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

The title is vague, i know! Basically i was looking for input/recommendations. I finished college last year, and while I loved my degree, i feel that i'd like to have learned a few computer languages along the way. I've dabbled in a few languages, as i've set up some wiki's/vbulletin boards/other websites, knowing what to look for if i was editing or adding an extension or something, but i'd never know enough to write from scratch something simple to meet my own needs.

Basically I was trying to get a feel for what others felt the best way to learn would was?

A 3 year computer programming degree would be a little much. I'd go back to college if there was a one year course, or even better an evening/weekend course.
    I thought myself HTML when i was a kid, and i'd feel very comfortable doing the same for PHP/Java etc. if there were good tutorials out there. I've started to teach myself Python, which is going pretty well because the tutorial is brilliant, but i can't seem to find something similar for the web-based languages (which is predominantly what i'd want) But if many people here have taught themselves from the web then i'll google a bit harder!!

Has anyone bought any of those "PHP and MYSQL for dummies" books, and if so are they any good?

Basically, i'm fairly computer literate, and if i found a wiki extension (for example) or a vbulletin mod, i'd have no problem integrating them into my site, but i was wondering what people here have found to be the best way to get ground up understanding of PHP/Java/Ajax/C+ etc.

Where did you get most of your programming know how? 17 votes

Formal Education
    0% 0 votes
    Self-taught
    11% 2 votes
    An equal mix of both
    29% 5 votes
    Other
    58% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

I've often found the best way is to do online tutorials and reference the manuals.
    Its what appears to be working for me at the moment (Having to learn Lua) but as always the best help i've gotten has been from questions I've asked within the relevant communities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Say what you like about formal education, most of what you will learn about programming will be self taught in one respect or another. Its a process of continual self improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I'd say most of what any programmer learns comes from actually coding problems and interacting with other developers and looking at other developers code.

Then again, i'm doing engineering, not computers.

Advertisement