Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What IDE do you use for Java?

Options
  • 22-04-2007 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I have come across Net Java bean's and Eclipse. Has anyone got recommendations? I think I'm leaning towards the Net Beans IDE. I would be planning to make some standalone Java apps. Up to now I have been compiling on the command line.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

If you can afford it, IntelliJ is outstanding. Pretty pricy but very good. Try out their 30 day trial. http://www.jetbrains.com

I'm not a fan of Eclipse, but that's more to do with the UI which I find very cluttered. Capability-wise it's pretty much the same as IntelliJ. The only real capability I missed was good vim emulator in the editor. My fingers speak vim, so that's a big loss versus the ideavim plugin for IntelliJ.

I haven't used NetBeans, so I wouldn't know how that stacks up against the other two.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I like netbeans. Use it every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

I use Eclipse. What makes it very powerful is that you can get plugins for different tasks. Also it free :)

A friend of mine swears by IntelliJ, but i haven't used it much myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,356 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've used Borland's JBuilder & Eclipse and to be honest Eclipse beats that hands down... I've only used Netbeans very rarely, from what i've seen I'd stick with eclipse but it's down to your preference really...

But a vote for eclipse here anyhow...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Eclipse.

I tried Netbeans 5.5 (to check something) and found it very buggy and not a patch on Eclipse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Another vote for Eclipse here..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Eclipse.

Enough said.

Incidently. JBuilder is just a modified version of Eclipse.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

there have been so many threads with the exact same question. Eclipse always gets the majority vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,356 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hobbes wrote:
    Really? Learn something new every day...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Netbeans - really good for j2ee stuff. Coudlnt find a decent plugin for eclipse when doing it.

damnyanks wrote:
    Netbeans - really good for j2ee stuff. Coudlnt find a decent plugin for eclipse when doing it.

In Eclipse you go to Help and updates and look for other applications. Will install a whole J2EE suite for you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I found WYSIWYG addons crap in eclipse. For non WYSIWYG it's a better editor, but netbeans is still very good as a non-WYSIWYG editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Khannie wrote:
    I found WYSIWYG addons crap in eclipse. For non WYSIWYG it's a better editor, but netbeans is still very good as a non-WYSIWYG editor.

We (we == company I work for) shelled out for the Swing Designer from Instantiations to use with Eclipse.

They have a freeware one too, but the payware functionality was worth the sheckels.

Its far from perfect, but its the best I've used in Eclipse...particularly with support for the FormLayout designer from JGoodies.

Having said that...I'll use whatever I'm paid to use :) If I'm on a client site and they want me to use whatever IDE they've invested in, that's what I'll use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Hobbes wrote:
    Hmm, just looked that up and you are indeed correct, but that only appears to be the case for JBuilder 2007.

bonkey wrote:
    We (we == company I work for) shelled out for the Swing Designer from Instantiations to use with Eclipse.

They have a freeware one too, but the payware functionality was worth the sheckels.

The Freeware one is now bundled into the extras in 3.2 that you can download.

If you have done SWT stuff by hand before the free one is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

What about eclipse based apps! What ever happened to that concept

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

damnyanks wrote:
    What about eclipse based apps! What ever happened to that concept
    Its still around.

A team in my place is developing an application using the Eclipse RCP (Rich Client Platform) at the moment.

yea RCP and SWT are still alive and well. The one thing with SWT is you would never know without inspecting the files if it was a java app or not.

I actually convert the batch file to an EXE just to stop people moaning about how everything should be written in c++ :)

Also currently looking into (personally) into composite apps for Notes 8. At first I wasn't overly impressed looked like framesets, but now I think they are fantastic, really imbraced the Web Services. Just need to swot up on my WSDL a bit more. :/ It's using RCP as well.

Advertisement