Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Audi A4, wishbone leak, front suspension

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Probably the bushings are liquid filled - bushings are on their way out when they split and leak the fluid.
    E.g a lot of the lemforder bushings are liquid filled.

I've never heard of a liquid filled bush. I wonder how they're made?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Im not a mechanic so feel free to mock me...
    Could it be that there's a leak in the steering rack resulting in fluid dripping onto the wishbone?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hydraulic bush. Some fluid cavities within the bush structure. I guess they are made this way to get the best combination of control and comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

twibbles wrote: »
    Hi Porsche Boy,

"Suspension - Wishbone - Both Front - Leaking"

Thanks.

Hard to say but I suspect they sen fluid on wishbone and suspect leaky suspension, but they have not really looked at it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

We are talking about a 2004 Audi. What exactly is the front/rear suspension set up on this mysterious car? Most 4 door cars have something like double wishbone at front and multi link or the like at the rear.

Ball joints don't leak, so whoever said that is talking nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

thierry14 wrote: »
    A competent independent mechanic 😀

Everytime someone asks for advice here they get this golden one.

Where are all these competent independent mechanic everyone speaks of?

How do they know more than main Dealers?

How do they possibly know how to work on every car from a Renault to an Audi?

Where did they get they this great education?

So you'd you'd advise the OP to go to a main dealer to service and maintain the incredibly complex 2005 A4 diesel, a car that was launched in 2003 because it's too difficult or technical a job for an Indy? That's just bad advice IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭twibbles

OK. I queried it with the garage. The said that it was in fact "worn wishbones". This is not what it said on the report at all. I wish that I could post it. Anyway, if I have asked them to provide an estimate.

I have noticed the the steering feels a little soft and I suspected that a shock absorber was going. It could be my imagination all the same. I did feel that something was wrong.

The NCT is coming up soon as well by the way so I presume that I will have to get it sorted in advance of that anyway.

So, I wonder if I should I get it sorted by Audi (depending on the price) or go elsewhere maybe if it can be done cheaper. It doesn't sound like it will be a massive job though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

OK. I queried it with the garage. The said that it was in fact "worn wishbones". This is not what it said on the report at all. I wish that I could post it. Anyway, if I have asked them to provide an estimate.

I have noticed the the steering feels a little soft and I suspected that a shock absorber was going. It could be my imagination all the same. I did feel that something was wrong.

The NCT is coming up soon as well by the way so I presume that I will have to get it sorted in advance of that anyway.

So, I wonder if I should I get it sorted by Audi (depending on the price) or go elsewhere maybe if it can be done cheaper. It doesn't sound like it will be a massive job though.

Where you based??

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Stick it in for the nct , if the wishbones are gone they'll tell you , then get them changed , only €30 for a retest, what mileage is on your A4 ?

• Advertisement

bbsrs wrote: »
    Stick it in for the nct , if the wishbones are gone they'll tell you , then get them changed , only €30 for a retest, what mileage is on your A4 ?

There's 160,000km on it (roughly 100,000 miles).

I am still waiting to hear back about the estimate by the way. Given that they don't seem to actually know what the problem is it might be hard an accurate one :)

Truckermal wrote: »
    Where you based??

I'll PM you.

Advertisement