Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

XMILE Diesel

Options
  • 02-11-2014 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone tried this? Going to go fill up the car later from Tara Oil on Dock road in Limerick.

http://www.taraoil.ie/XMILEDiesel.html

Supposedly they use it in shipping and apparently you can get extra miles from it. It's the cheapest place in Limerick at the moment at 1.34

XMILE is a fuel additive which unique characteristics are discovered by more and more companies and consumers. XMILE can be summarized as an advanced enzyme-based biological solution for increasing fuel efficiency and reliability. In fact, by adding XMILE the fuel quality improves so combustion is better and more complete. By this:
    - Lower fuel consumption
    - Reduced emissions
    - Improved engine performance
    - Cleaner engine, less maintenance
    These effects as a result of using XMILE have a positive effect on reducing costs and improve environmental performance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Get snakes, put into juicer, add to diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Smells like what comes out the backside of a bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

I ran the xmile from Tara over two tanks in a 2.0 HDI when I was doing Limerick-Dublin return once a week, and found literally zero difference in average MPG compared to their regular diesel with the cruise set to 120. I think it's 5c a litre more expensive for the xmile treated stuff, which adds up to ~€3 per tank. That's the same cost as dipetane, which is widely used to apparently good effect (although I've never used it).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Isn't that what all fuel additives say ??
    I've used dipetane a few times , thought it worked somewhat, no definite idea if it does or no ! Cheaper than buying litre bottles of dipetane though -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Went down thinking all the pumps were xmile, half way through filling up, i turn around and see pump behind me with xmile diesel on it, doh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Its 5c more expensive? :eek: You do realise that you're basically paying for your extra miles at the pump? That's give or take 2L of 'normal' fuel. It would, doing it in my head now, have to give me something like 30km+ for the same amount of normal fuel to make that even remotely worthwhile.

Fools and money :pac:

Mc Love wrote: »

Supposedly they use it in shipping and apparently you can get extra miles from it. It's the cheapest place in Limerick at the moment at 1.34

Do you drive a ship?
    5c a litre extra, lol.

The link refers to 6/7% fuel savings when added to diesel & bio fuel, not at all relevent to motor diesel imo, pure sh1t I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

ironclaw wrote: »
    Its 5c more expensive? :eek: You do realise that you're basically paying for your extra miles at the pump? That's give or take 2L of 'normal' fuel. It would, doing it in my head now, have to give me something like 30km+ for the same amount of normal fuel to make that even remotely worthwhile.

Fools and money :pac:

It's approx 3.7% a litre more expensive, so you'd need a 3.7% increase in economy to make it viable. If it could get a 40 mpg car to 41.4 mpg, it would pay for itself. That's not a huge increase to ask, but unfortunately this additive just doesn't seem to do anything! Physics says if you could shed ~60 kg from an average saloon you'd see the same economy increase, which is far more attainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

It's approx 3.7% a litre more expensive, so you'd need a 3.7% increase in economy to make it viable. If it could get a 40 mpg car to 41.4 mpg, it would pay for itself. That's not a huge increase to ask, but unfortunately this additive just doesn't seem to do anything! Physics says if you could shed ~60 kg from an average saloon you'd see the same economy increase, which is far more attainable.

I appreciate what you are saying but say 3.7% makes it break even, for any benefit, you'd want to be getting twice that in my eyes, so say 8% so up at 43 mpg from 40 mpg. And that's assuming you make no change to your driving style etc.

Are people willing to spend 5c more to get 1.4 mpg more? Lighten the right foot and drive conservatively and you'll double that easily for free.

Its been debated here before but when I did the figures on it Dipetane has a nice effect on the engine, runs smoother etc but save money? No. By the time you factor in everything it's preventative maintenance more than anything. The cost versus benefit ratio just isn't there. You are spending money to save money, which in the motor game is basically trying to defy physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

a xfool and his xmoney are soon xparted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I love the quote "engines in the engine room achieved 6-7% extra fuel economy"

Problem is when you are driving on a road, you aint in no engine room! Also, it is comparing fuel with no additives - most fuel has some sort of additive now.

I think Topaz claims "up to 24km extra per tank" (naturally based on laboratory conditions)- now my tank will do about 1400km, so 24km won't really be noticed.

But how I drive will make a huge difference. I drive a lot - about 70,000 km a year. Easy driving and I'll easily get 50-50mpg, hard driving I'll get 40-45mpg.

That's 20% saving from taking it easy (but it just is not as fun!) - better than any fuel additive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Blackirish52

Has anyone had a problem with buying the "regular" diesel from the Tara Oil station on the Dock Road in Limerick?? Gave up as the car started giving trouble starting and the wife's car had to be towed twice over a couple of weeks recently. The Dealer said it could be the fuel pump, the first time. Second time went to a non dealer garage and they said it was bad diesel, cleaned the rail, the filters and to only buy from the likes of main resellers to be guaranteed clean fuel. He also pointed out that your man's station is right outside his own depot and he is as dear as anyone who is running a station without owning the depot that supplies it! He was cheap as chips compared to the McDonalds when he opened first. Price gouging I think is a word I would use. Haven't had a problem since switching. Just curious if anyone else had problems? Don't know whether to try and get the money for the repairs from him. Will wait and see if any one else had the problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Have been buying my diesel there pretty much all the time as they have been cheaper than most others and not had a problem yet *touchwood*

Advertisement