Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Someone just took a picture of my license plate?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

OP was there any modifications to the car like lexus lights or similar.
    He might have had a similar car to you at home and wanted to mod it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭manjosh

I suggest you file a report about the stuff, incase something happens. Plus i do not think your "person" is in any kinda danger. Cos if their was something, am thinking he wouldn't risk showing face. So you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

manjosh wrote: »
    I suggest you file a report about the stuff, incase something happens. Plus i do not think your "person" is in any kinda danger. Cos if their was something, am thinking he wouldn't risk showing face. So you will be fine.

Gardai would not file this as nothing happened or anything illegal either.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

OP, without giving away your reg. no, is it distinctive in any way i.e. matching up with model type, could be read a certain way, unusual number sequence, etc ?

There are reg plate enthusiasts who salivate over unusual plates but mostly satisfy themselves by taking pictures of "rare" plates or plates from overseas, the further away the better etc. They even have a name...auto-numerologists !

Doubt very much it's a cloning issue as that doesn't require a photo

Why do you feel it was specifically your reg plate he was photographing - maybe it was the overall rear of your car, as someone else has suggested, do you have any mods done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Maybe he's just a freak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

jrar wrote: »
    OP, without giving away your reg. no, is it distinctive in any way i.e. matching up with model type, could be read a certain way, unusual number sequence, etc ?

There are reg plate enthusiasts who salivate over unusual plates but mostly satisfy themselves by taking pictures of "rare" plates or plates from overseas, the further away the better etc. They even have a name...auto-numerologists !

Doubt very much it's a cloning issue as that doesn't require a photo

Why do you feel it was specifically your reg plate he was photographing - maybe it was the overall rear of your car, as someone else has suggested, do you have any mods done ?

No nothing unusual about the plate,I suppose that's a possibility. I wouldn't be worried really expect he sped away fairly lively after what I thought to be him pretending to take picture of random objects once spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Some of the conspiracy theories here are a bit far fetched. Modern photographic technology is such that a camera can be easily concealed as a button, James Bond style techniques are open to all of us. Consequently, someone could be photographing your car every day of the week if they wanted to, especially if they had nefarious motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

He was probably just embarrassed and that's why he took other photos. It could have been a number that crops up in a certain movie or TV show a lot. Or yeah, the car he used to own. Could even have been a number sequence that makes up his birthday or the ages of his kids, whatever. I have often played around with numbers of busses, reg plates (not while I'm driving myself ha) etc in my head to come up with another number... thought this was something everyone did but it's a harmless enough use of brainpower I suppose!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Maybe one of those guys that actually fall in love with a car and it use to be his and now wants her back.

You know love and all can make people do very strange things...:pac:

Maybe one of those guys that actually fall in love with a car and it use to be his and now wants her back.

You know love and all can make people do very strange things...:pac:

Bit heartless to sell his only love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

How do you know he was only pretending to take the subsequent photos? Maybe he was taking a load of pictures of the area and your car happened to be in the way. Or how do you know he was taking photos at all? Could he have been trying to get signal on his phone or read a text without his glasses or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

domrush wrote: »
    Just parked up in work there and I had someone pull up behind me and take a picture of my license plate? When he saw I spotted him he smiled and waved and then pretended to take pictures of the surrounding area before speeding off.
    I wasn't driving fast/slow and didn't cut anyone off in the preceding drive. Should I be worried?

Report to the gardai, that someone tool a picture of your car parked in a public space.

Explain that no crime has been committed and you want it to be investigated.

See what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

OP I wouldn't be annoying the guards with this. They won't give a hoot and quite rightly in my view. No crime committed. Don't be wasting their time because if you do it'll be a waste of yours. They've better things to be at.

TheChizler wrote: »
    How do you know he was only pretending to take the subsequent photos? Maybe he was taking a load of pictures of the area and your car happened to be in the way. Or how do you know he was taking photos at all? Could he have been trying to get signal on his phone or read a text without his glasses or something?

This is a good point actually, he could have been trying to get the satnav on his phone working and wanted to pull in rather than risk penalty points for using his phone while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Dodgy but could be a case like this

A woman who mistakenly shamed a man on social media because she believed he was taking photos of her children when he was just taking a selfie has offered a grovelling apology after receiving death threats.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3076246/Mum-shamed-man-Facebook-taking-photos-kids-just-taking-Star-Wars-selfie-offers-grovelling-apology.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Do you have German style license plates ?

My friends got a kick out of those when they were over visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

No crime in taking photographs in public, people use camera phones all the time and for the more serious photographer out there it's called street photography!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

under data protection they aren't allowed to give footage.
    You could ask can they see his reg and keep for peace of mind.

I wouldn't worry if they want to clone that can be done anytime. If they wanted to rob car they would do so mostly with keys.
    You be grand.

If you're the subject of the footage, you can request it, they would have to pixelate the other person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Redser87 wrote: »
    He was probably just embarrassed and that's why he took other photos. It could have been a number that crops up in a certain movie or TV show a lot. Or yeah, the car he used to own. Could even have been a number sequence that makes up his birthday or the ages of his kids, whatever. I have often played around with numbers of busses, reg plates (not while I'm driving myself ha) etc in my head to come up with another number... thought this was something everyone did but it's a harmless enough use of brainpower I suppose!!!

Agreed, I take pictures of cars that impress me in some way, but if I saw the owner looking at me I would feel embarrassed and try and take attention away from my self.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Could well be looking to rob it.
    Could put your reg into a computer and find out where u live, possibly be able to get a key that matches the car in question and code one.
    If these lads have the technology they can easily do all that and take your car and it'll be shipped off before you even wake up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Could put your reg into a computer and find out where u live, possibly be able to get a key that matches the car in question and code one.
    If these lads have the technology they can easily do all that and take your car and it'll be shipped off before you even wake up.

An 06 Golf? (no offence OP! Just seems like an awful amount of effort for what you describe as a normal car) The bigger worry there would be why thieves have access to Department of Transport/Gardaí databases.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

You don't need a photo of the reg. plate to do any of those things - you could just jot down the number on a scrap of paper and get the same results and the driver of the car would never know.

If you were going to rob the car, why go to the trouble of taking a close-up photo of it (short sighted thieves ?!?) and risk (as happened here) being seen by the owner in broad daylight ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

probably intended to clone it, but he'd be mad to now, having been caught rotten.. so I'd say he'll go find another elsewhere

I doubt he'd be walking off waving and smiling

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

domrush wrote: »
    Just parked up in work there and I had someone pull up behind me and take a picture of my license plate? When he saw I spotted him he smiled and waved and then pretended to take pictures of the surrounding area before speeding off.
    I wasn't driving fast/slow and didn't cut anyone off in the preceding drive. Should I be worried?
    jrar wrote: »
    You don't need a photo of the reg. plate to do any of those things - you could just jot down the number on a scrap of paper and get the same results and the driver of the car would never know.

If you were going to rob the car, why go to the trouble of taking a close-up photo of it (short sighted thieves ?!?) and risk (as happened here) being seen by the owner in broad daylight ??
    I doubt he'd be walking off waving and smiling

He could also be the one doing the 'donkey-work' so to speak. He now has his job done for whatever reason that may be.
    Nothing stopping him passing that info onto others though. Nothing.

You have a description of him & his car; the end of the day though, he took a photo in a public place.

Could be something or nothing.

Hopefully nothing comes of this domrush :)
    kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    He could also be the one doing the 'donkey-work' so to speak. He now has his job done for whatever reason that may be.
    Nothing stopping him passing that info onto others though. Nothing.

You have a description of him & his car; the end of the day though, he took a photo in a public place.

Could be something or nothing.

Hopefully nothing comes of this domrush :)
    kerry4sam

I think if you were looking for cars to clone it would be much easier to write down the make, model, colour and reg on a piece of paper on top of a news paper than make it obvious snapping reg plates and smiling/waving at the owners :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I think if you were looking for cars to clone it would be much easier to write down the make, model, colour and reg on a piece of paper on top of a news paper than make it obvious snapping reg plates and smiling/waving at the owners :D

Maybe its a special colour or something but even easier is just going online

http://www.carzone.ie/search/result/cars/make/volkswagen/model/golf/min-year/2006/max-year/2006/min-engine-size/1-5/max-engine-size/1-6/limit/30

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Who is to say it just ends here though.

They now have a picture of him ; his car ; his place of work. Was he followed there? Do they know where he lives? Do they know the distance between his home & work now? Is the home the actual target and not the car?

Who knows for sure. He started to smile and wave after the op put his attention on them?
    Could well be nothing. Could well be someone getting their morning kicks too :)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Who is to say it just ends here though.

They now have a picture of him ; his car ; his place of work. Was he followed there? Do they know where he lives? Do they know the distance between his home & work now? Is the home the actual target and not the car?

Who knows for sure. He started to smile and wave after the op put his attention on them?
    Could well be nothing. Could well be someone getting their morning kicks too :)

6b94a5a3492799f22622392eaa882d0c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Ridiculous thread

Advertisement