Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Software Development a Dead-End Career?

Options
13»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Trojan wrote: »
    I think that kind of thinking is the difference between software companies that do ok and companies that do incredibly well.

I would like to think that, but there are plenty of very successful companies who treat their employees badly. I doubt that it's that much of a competitive advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

IRLConor wrote: »
    I would like to think that, but there are plenty of very successful companies who treat their employees badly. I doubt that it's that much of a competitive advantage.
    It depends on a number of factors, especially the availibity of staff with the necessary skill sets, but unfortunately you're correct in many cases.

I remember considering this, in a company I worked for years ago and who underpaid their staff in general, how this must be a counter productive policy for them, as it would mean that their better staff would find better jobs quickly, leaving them with the staff who were less capable. Thing is, the staff was fairly easily replaced, regardless of how good they were, for various reasons (top of which that this was a firm that many actively wanted to work for). So they were thus able to quantify the cost of staff turnover and assess this against the cost of well paid happy staff who would be more reluctant to leave (remember, turnover is never zero, even in great workplaces).

Bottom line is that it made financial sense to pay the staff less - they were simply victims of mathematics, at the end of the day.

As developers we have a tendency to prefer the 'ideal' business, where staff are treated well and quality is always high. In the Real World, it's more about optimizing based upon revenue and cost, rather than doing the 'right' thing.

It's one of the reasons I've seen many start-ups fail; the founders are often developers, who still think like developers, rather than businesspeople.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm lucky because it's a regularly scheduled thing for my boss to sit down and talk to everyone on his team about their career and what they want to do.
    That's not why you were lucky - you were lucky because they actually meant it when they said the talk was for your benefit. There are companies where they happily do this... and where you really have to watch what you say because it's anything but a process to help you, it's to identify which members of staff are next for the chop.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Sparks wrote: »
    That's not why you were lucky - you were lucky because they actually meant it when they said the talk was for your benefit.

Oh, it's not for my benefit. :)

It's because hiring is expensive so retention is worth spending money on. My boss(es) might personally give a **** about what I want but the process is there because it's good sense for the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 cregganna

Been a developer for 37 years, contracting for 30 years. Never thought of it as a career as I enjoy it so much. Certainly not dead end as there's always new stuff to get in to. Interviews are a pain nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Oh, it's not for my benefit. :)

It's because hiring is expensive so retention is worth spending money on. My boss(es) might personally give a **** about what I want but the process is there because it's good sense for the company.

That's still a better scenario than most folk get to worry about :(
    I mean, a company exhibiting good sense in a way that doesn't involve firing everyone who's been there for a few years after getting them to train up the brand-new graduates hired to replace them, some folks would see that as the holy grail :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Here is me working on a saturday (remotely). As a contractor... that just got offered equity. Don't even know what to think -.-

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Sparks wrote: »
    That's still a better scenario than most folk get to worry about :(
    I mean, a company exhibiting good sense in a way that doesn't involve firing everyone who's been there for a few years after getting them to train up the brand-new graduates hired to replace them, some folks would see that as the holy grail :D

Sounds pretty similar to where I am now. Myself and 3 others from a conversion course got placement as interns in January. Just a little over 2 months later, we've all been offered permanent contracts. They could have easily saved the money, and waited until the end of the 6 month internship before offering us a position.

We also have regular meetings about career paths and progression, and the management are genuinely interested in helping us do well. I'm really enjoying working there, and it does feel like I've fallen on my feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

cregganna wrote: »
    Been a developer for 37 years, contracting for 30 years. Never thought of it as a career as I enjoy it so much. Certainly not dead end as there's always new stuff to get in to. Interviews are a pain nowadays.

Why do you think interviews are getting worse? In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Some of them are actually very successful.

I'm not condoning such approaches, only pointing out that they happen. Sometimes because the 'company' is inefficient or unduly influenced by politics (particularly true of large blue-chips or the public sector), and often because modern capitalism is regrettably driven by short-termism nowadays.

But sometimes it also makes commercial sense. If you don't have the capital to get to market 'properly', are you just going to not bother? Or are you going to do so anyway and factor in the long term cost of having to deal with your having cut corners to get there? Or it's all very well to hire only the best and most senior resources and produce the best software out there, but how does that help you when you're being outbid on every contract or no one buys your product because it's priced out of the market?

We don't live in a perfect World where we only need to choose between one and zero.

I suppose that companies where they don't do that sort of thing will never think of replacing you? Bless you and your innocence.

Far from innocent, thanks. As a contractor, my relationship with a client is very simple: money for time & experience. I neither want or expect anything more from them. Also, I am always prepared for a contract to end at the drop of a hat.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Boskowski wrote: »
    Changing into IT in your 30ies is going to be difficult because what IT employers value above all is experience. And that invalidates completely what Bloomberg says because you just don't have that experience in your 20ies. 20ies is fine for gathering experience and working 60 hours plus for Accenture or Google or whatever but thats only one side of the coin.

I'm in my 40ies now and I'd say I'm as employable as I ever was due to my 20 years of experience in all sorts of fields.

IT is never just about the latest web this and that which only came out 6 months ago and will disappear in 6 months down the road. Loads of systems and their technologies have much more longevity than you would imagine. Not in my current job but in the one before that the most valuable (and paid) folks were the Cobol veterans, some of them were in their 60ies. I have a good chunk of embedded and real-time experience in C/C++ and assembly and I get unsolicited job offers all the time. In my current company we have a hard time getting half decent SQL developers and you would imagine that should be a core skill. Its all about a wide range of skills and niche skills and older technology skills I find particularly good to have.

You will definitely struggle changing into IT development in your 30ies, cos you can't compete with the 20 somethings doing 60 hours java/web/mobile and you can't compete with the guys your age or older 'cos they have 10, 20 years experience.
    Well, speaking as a 30 year old who will be returning to education this year in a bid to move in to Development, this post is more than a little disheartening!

I could always be a gigolo I guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭midlouth

deconduo wrote: »
    Sounds pretty similar to where I am now. Myself and 3 others from a conversion course got placement as interns in January. Just a little over 2 months later, we've all been offered permanent contracts. They could have easily saved the money, and waited until the end of the 6 month internship before offering us a position.

We also have regular meetings about career paths and progression, and the management are genuinely interested in helping us do well. I'm really enjoying working there, and it does feel like I've fallen on my feet.

Lucky you....finished a conversion course in January but struggling to get a call for an interview never mind a job offer. Really just hoping patience gets me through until I find something, along with attending some workshops to keep me busy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I saw one spelling mistake in one of our directories and i'm still annoyed about it :pac:
    As for OPs question of being too old, i know somebody in their 30s that started..and somebody in their 40s. Both happily working away in it now.
    I'm not sure what the salary cap for s/w developers is but i guess you have to focus on adding non-common value to your skill set at that stage.

MagicMarker. Dont worry about it if it is what you want to do, none of this age crap, sure you might be starting off as a grad but you are 30 ffs! Good luck :)

The people above did a masters with me btw and wouldnt have known too much before, just worked their ass off and asked for help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Well, speaking as a 30 year old who will be returning to education this year in a bid to move in to Development, this post is more than a little disheartening!

I started at 29 (developer not gigolo) and didnt have any issues. Dont be disheartened!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

I know mature students in your situation that both have a job before graduation and haven't had a call at all. The difference is the students that worked their asses off then graduated with a first class honors got the call, however, the guys that made excuses because they are mature students didn't.

If you put everything you have into your degree, showing a genuine interest and have the personality for the interview, you will get a job. Especially if you are willing to relocate to the job. If you use the fact that you are a mature student as a crutch instead of motivation, expect to fail. Talent is talent.

Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Great to see this thread. I am 29 and applied to do a degree in SD to hopefully have some solid employment for the future.

I would be one of those who would like to project manage with the technical background. I have project managed a few art projects and recently managed a development team to build me an app and I really enjoy that position.

I hope to work hard and get this degree so that I could eventually manage a team of developers for some company.

Of course it won't happen straight away but SD really seems to be the best career choice for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I know mature students in your situation that both have a job before graduation and haven't had a call at all. The difference is the students that worked their asses off then graduated with a first class honors got the call, however, the guys that made excuses because they are mature students didn't.

If you put everything you have into your degree, showing a genuine interest and have the personality for the interview, you will get a job. Especially if you are willing to relocate to the job. If you use the fact that you are a mature student as a crutch instead of motivation, expect to fail. Talent is talent.

Good luck with it :)

You're kinda talking about something entirely different. The highest qualified person doesn't always get the job. It might seem like that in college but RL doesn't work out like that. But you're right in that its obviously a major advantage to be the best qualified person in the room. But IMO I don't think this thread is about that.

A career change when you are 30 or 40 is a different thing entirely from when you are 22 and leaving college. When I was contracting, you might be competing with 400 people for a role based on the main skillsets. But if they are looking for a specific skill, or experience in business, IT, maturity etc, you're probably competing with 10 or so.

If you're writing software and you have a guy with no experience, vs a guy who's worked in that industry (but not in IT), they will have a wealth of industry and business knowledge that is of considerable value.

Thats not to ignore that some places just want the 22yr old coder with the best grades. Thats just life.

Advertisement