Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brow salon that won't rip my skin?!

Options
  • 19-10-2014 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya, hoping for some recommendations in Dublin City Centre for a place to get HD brows, or even a thread/tint, where they WON'T rip the skin.

I've been to four places, one local (model looks in coolock for waxing), three in town (rose in the ilac, penneys threading bar and Brow Boutique in Jervis) and each time, whether they were waxing, threading or doing full hd brows (brow boutique, and they came out wonky!), they've ripped the skin around my eyebrows.

When I had them waxed in my local salon, and hd brows done in the jervis, the hair never grew back where they tore the skin. I'm lucky that I have naturally thick eyebrows, so the lady in the penneys threading bar managed to shape them really well, but skin was torn there too!

So, recommendations for places that won't rip the skin? I don't fancy ending up with loads of bald patches!

As an aside, I had waxing done numerous times by a girl on a stand in the pavilions, who never once tore the skin, and was brilliant for shaping, but she's gone now :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I get mine threaded in McCabes in the pavilions. The girl in there is great, I've never had any complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

I get mine done in Nu Essense just off grafton street the girls are lovely and I love the job they do.

Here's my before and after brows after one session.

jqkcpg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Threading doesnt rip the skin. The hair pulls out before the thread hits the skin. Try it yourself with a thread and you will see what I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

hfallada wrote: »
    Threading doesnt rip the skin. The hair pulls out before the thread hits the skin. Try it yourself with a thread and you will see what I mean

I'm not sure if ripping is the right word to use but while being threaded I've definitely had cases where they catch a small piece of skin in the thread, it pinches and cuts. I'm not sure what causes it exactly, it's possibly from not holding the skin taught enough but it's definitely something I have experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I'm not sure if ripping is the right word to use but while being threaded I've definitely had cases where they catch a small piece of skin in the thread, it pinches and cuts. I'm not sure what causes it exactly, it's possibly from not holding the skin taught enough but it's definitely something I have experienced.

Yup, this is my experience also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Are you stretching enough? When they're shaping your brow its important to have a good stretch or the skin can get pinched.
    I get these done in Portlaoise I can pm you the details if you're around that area.
    kbd2k9.jpg
    24mdp52.jpg

I have the skin very taut, so I'd imagine I'm stretching enough, but you never know!

I'm nowhere near portlaoise, but you brows are lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Waxing can be really harsh on your skin so if you feel like that's ripping your skin it probably is but with threading as long as you've a good stretch it cant nip the skin. Are you being left with a mark afterwards or is the skin broken? If it is then its the stretch that's wrong, as if the skin is taut enough it can't be pinched.

It is a weird sensation, it can feel like its being cut but that is just sensation. If you're not being left with marks, don't worry. And if you are being left with marks, get them to show you how to get a proper stretch on the area

Waxing can be really harsh on your skin so if you feel like that's ripping your skin it probably is but with threading as long as you've a good stretch it cant nip the skin. Are you being left with a mark afterwards or is the skin broken? If it is then its the stretch that's wrong, as if the skin is taut enough it can't be pinched.

It is a weird sensation, it can feel like its being cut but that is just sensation. If you're not being left with marks, don't worry. And if you are being left with marks, get them to show you how to get a proper stretch on the area

Waxing has definitely ripped the skin, last two times I've had it done, I've been bleeding after :pac: I had stopped getting them waxed, but figured if I paid more money to get full hd brows, I'd be grand. But nope :pac:

It's actual nicks in the skin with the threading. I will take your advice and get tthem to show me how to pull the skin properly next time. Would be way easier if I'm the problem, rather than having to find a new salon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Design78

I go to the girls in brow boutique and find them great - being going there about 3 years now, could it be that your skin is too sensitive as it seems unusual that you have been left marked or bleeding after treatments in a few different places.

• Advertisement

Design78 wrote: »
    I go to the girls in brow boutique and find them great - being going there about 3 years now, could it be that your skin is too sensitive as it seems unusual that you have been left marked or bleeding after treatments in a few different places.

It's a possibility, but I'm regularly waxed on my legs, underarms and get a regular Hollywood wax, never any issues.

Tbh, I'd never go back to the brow boutique. They left myself and my mate with uneven, kinda wonky brows. Same girl did both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

It's a possibility, but I'm regularly waxed on my legs, underarms and get a regular Hollywood wax, never any issues.

Tbh, I'd never go back to the brow boutique. They left myself and my mate with uneven, kinda wonky brows. Same girl did both.

I went to brow boutique once and I had the same experience. My eyebrows were both the same shape, but they were both about half a centimeter to far left. It was very strange looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Jwacqui wrote: »
    I get mine done in Nu Essense just off grafton street the girls are lovely and I love the job they do.

jqkcpg.jpg

I second Nu Essense for eye brows and I only went after seeing your picture Jwacqui in the Cosmetic review section, so thank you!
    Delighted with the results and the service in there.

Is ny essence that place just off grafton street? Was in there with my friend when she got hers done there, and they did a fab job. The lady there also told me I have fantastic brows for doing hd on, so I may give them a shot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Do you know what wax was used on you? The girl I go to uses waxperts wax, its great, doesn't rip the skin at all... they actually rub a oil on before the wax. I have gotten places waxed that I wouldn't even consider with normal strip wax!!

They have a salon in Dun Laoghaire & they sell their wax to beauticians too, might be worth checking them out :)

Do you know what wax was used on you? The girl I go to uses waxperts wax, its great, doesn't rip the skin at all... they actually rub a oil on before the wax. I have gotten places waxed that I wouldn't even consider with normal strip wax!!

They have a salon in Dun Laoghaire & they sell their wax to beauticians too, might be worth checking them out :)

Haven't a clue :pac: for waxing down there, the place I go to doesn't double dip, and uses waxperts. Never paid attention to what they used on my brows in other places though :o

Just for the record, I've had numerous eyebrow waxes that DIDN'T tear the skin, usually by a lady in the pavilions who's gone now, so I really don't think it's that the skin is too thin or anything.

With threading, based on what Lexie said, probably my own bloody fault :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Jwacqui wrote: »

jqkcpg.jpg

+1 for Nu Essence! Had my Hd Brows done there and was over the moon with them, and you'd be hard pushed to find someone fussier about brows than me. Relatively pain free experience too.

+1 for Nu Essence! Had my Hd Brows done there and was over the moon with them, and you'd be hard pushed to find someone fussier about brows than me. Relatively pain free experience too.

Is it the place off grafton street? Just want to make sure I'm thinking of the right place so I know who to call in a few weeks when i need them done again :)

Also, you have fantastic brows, cc, so i think that's my decision made :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Is it the place off grafton street? Just want to make sure I'm thinking of the right place so I know who to call in a few weeks when i need them done again :)

I go all the time, I posted my pics above of after one session. It's just opposite eddie rockets just off grafton street.

Ashley does mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

The very one!

you're too nice! mine haven't been Hd in months though, I just do mine myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement