Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Alien boxset

Options
  • 20-10-2014 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Haven't seen these in years and years - Watched Alien last night, am 30 mins into Aliens right now and then have 3 & 4 to follow...

Forgot how class Aliens is, tees it up perfectly and the action is just above to go up to 11!!

The marines are a bit OTT in terms of a stereotypical hard men, full of bravado and cheesy lines and looks - but I can live with that

I know Aliens is the majorities favourite, but in what order do you rate the other three?

Personally, mine is 2, 1, 3, 4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Personally, mine is 2, 1, 2, 4

So good you like Aliens twice? :pac:

To be honest Alien is a fantastic piece of cinema. It's a monster / haunted house movie in space. Slowly paced and full of tension there is absolutely no comparison to the action-driven sequel.

Please tell me you're watching the Director's Cut!?

I'd actually leave the 4th out completely and rate the first three.

Alien, Alien3 (it's good, even though it went through production-hell), Aliens.

That's personal bias though as I've watched Aliens so many times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

So good you like Aliens twice? :pac:

To be honest Alien is a fantastic piece of cinema. It's a monster / haunted house movie in space. Slowly paced and full of tension there is absolutely no comparison to the action-driven sequel.

Please tell me you're watching the Director's Cut!?

I'd actually leave the 4th out completely and rate the first three.

Alien, Alien3 (it's good, even though it went through production-hell), Aliens.

That's personal bias though as I've watched Aliens so many times!

Thanks for catching that :)

I watched the theatrical version for Alien - but am watching the directors cut for Aliens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

It goes 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 for me.

Find the extended cut of 3 to be damn good tbh and is maybe Fincher's most underrated film. Of course watching the brilliant making of you could see why he wanted to disown it though. :pac:

One of my favorite movie experiences ever was seeing the original in pristine 70MM last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

e_e wrote: »
    It goes 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 for me.

Same here. I wasn't much of a fan of 3 at all till I saw the Assembly Cut.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Personally, mine is 2, 1, 3, 4
    1 and 2 are grand. I do not care for 3 or 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Black Swan wrote: »
    I do not care for 3.

Give it another go with the Assembly Cut, if you haven't already. It's quite different and pretty good too as others have said.

It's 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

I love the first three films. I always liked how each movie in the series is it's own beast with different directorial approaches, different cinematography and different tone. If goes from straight haunted house in space to Vietnam allegory to nihilism. I can't really think of any other series of direct sequels with such changes in tone and approach to each film.

The Assembly Cut of 3 is well worth a watch, it still doesn't explain the stupid plothole about how a facehugger gets on the Sulaco but oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

2, then a few beers, then 1, then stop.

1 is irritating, with all the silly horror movie tropes. 3 is just pointless abuse of the characters and audience. 4 is a self-parody.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

2 > 1 > 3 > 4

Alien & Aliens are 2 completely different, but brilliant, films so I can't really compare the 2. I only put Aliens ahead because it's a film you can rewatch more times than Alien.

I quite liked the 3rd film (Assembly Cut) despite Newt and Hicks being killed off immediately, essentially wiping the 2nd film out.

The puppet xenomorph looks terrible in some shots where they couldn't get the lighting correct for it, which is a shame because they really did put a lot of work into that puppet if you watch the Visual Effects making of Alien 3 on YT. It looked fantastic on it's own and how they were able to move it so fluidly.

As for the 4th..........well, that can just be ignored. The only good memorable bit from that film is where Ripley comes across her failed clones.

Playing Alien Isolation at the moment and loving it so have to revisit the franchise again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

2 > 1 > 3 > 4

Aliens is just a romper stomper of an action film that is relentlessly good fun. One of my favourite films of all-time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

2>1>3

(I won't even include 4 here)

the directors cut of 3 is a completely different film and is incredible, pity
    the effects are very shady.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Alien and Aliens double bill of the directors cut is on Halloween in Liffey valley cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

1 - 2 - 3 - 4. Bought the box set on release and it has to be one of if not the best box sets released, just a pity Fincher is still reluctant to get involved. Look at the price now, great value.

http://www.xtra-vision.ie/Alien-Anthology/xv-movies-games-entertainment/pd/44914?path=blu-ray

Advertisement