Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deflecting mobile signals

Options
  • 30-09-2014 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

I realize this may be a very naive question but I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a way to deflect a mobile broadband single from the top of a hill to, well, the bottom. Easily and cheaply. Well, especially cheaply.

The problems is, as you prolly already know, that there are some blind spots in mobile broadband coverage in rural Ireland. I'm sure it's because of line-of-sight issues as we are just a few km's from the transmitter and I can get a very good mobile signal with internet when on the top of the offending hill ! I recall seeing a report on BBC Click a good while back about using cheaply made cantennas to propagate the signal to otherwise inaccessible areas. I made a cantenna once myself , just for educational purposes. Was easy to make and worked well.e

The good thing is my folks own the hill. No power supply outlet on the top though although it might not be impossible to get one up there. Any ideas : )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

How high is the hill? Could you stick a pole up to get over it?

Any chance of running Power over Ethernet up to a 4G modem on the hill?

Also, this should be in the Midband forum, a mod can move it for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

ED E wrote: »
    How high is the hill? Could you stick a pole up to get over it?

Any chance of running Power over Ethernet up to a 4G modem on the hill?

Also, this should be in the Midband forum, a mod can move it for ya.

I'm useless at judging distances/heights but no it's a typical country hill , it's not mountainous or anything but absolutely no chance of putting a pole up to rise above it.

Actually I know 3 people, at different locations , who would benefit from a solution to this so we're talking various hill heights and dwellings various distances from the hills but quite close at the same time. But not really close enough to run a power supply to some device on the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You can get up to around 300M with some PoE equipment. If you ran a pair of CAT6 cables from a nearby premises and fit a small weathersealed box on the hilltop you could have a pair of modems running there with no other cabling. Then a wireless link from the closest house to your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Looks like I'm not the one with this idea but I think his budget at 3000 dollars is slightly larger than mine : )

Looks good though : )

http://milkwood.net/2011/07/08/diy-remote-area-internet/

Advertisement