Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The government is to approve plans to make it illegal for 16-year-olds to get married

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Umadbrah? wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you can join the army at 16 or 17..no?

going by the info at http://www.military.ie/careers/army/recruits/, no.
    Age Limitations

Applicants must be not less than 18 years of age and under 25 years of age on the date deemed as the closing date for applications.

- See more at: http://www.military.ie/careers/army/recruits/#sthash.VFwdDLBi.dpuf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

titan18 wrote: »
    Don't really see why it's the government's business what age people get married.

Well, if you aren't old enough to enter into a legal agreement, drink, drive, join the gardai, army, sign a cheque or have a credit card, what fucking sense does it make allowing you to get married?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,162 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Davei141 wrote: »
    Pavee Point will be claiming it is an attack on traveler culture i reckon.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. your wrong, they won't

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Hootanany wrote: »
    They should just outlaw arranged marriages

There is nothing at all wrong with arranged marriages, I have many South Asian friends who are very happy in their arranged marriages.

The problem is with forced marriage, which is a very different thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

As long as they leave goats out of it, I'm cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

There is nothing at all wrong with arranged marriages, I have many South Asian friends who are very happy in their arranged marriages.

I would have thought most arranged marriages are love less. But the participants know no different because it's been drilling into them since they were young.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RoiSoleil

Travellers have obviously been mentioned in this thread as they tend to marry quite young. I would hope this change protects these young people for a few extra years at least. I spoke to a traveller girl last year who was about fourteen. She was lovely well mannered and intelligent girl. I asked her what she wanted to do in life and she told me she wanted to be a vet. I said that was great and asked her where she planned to study. She answered "Oh, but it will never happen, I'll be married in a couple of years". Iasked her "Oh, to who?" Her answer: "I don't know yet". It absolutely broke my heart. Given the opportunity, this girl could go on and be a fantastic vet and marry whoever she pleases. I truly hate the "Ah sure it's their culture" argument. Some things just cannot be justified with the 'culture' argument.

I would have thought most arranged marriages are love less. But the participants know no different because it's been drilling into them since they were young.

Nope, my south asian friends are all living in the US, and were living here at the times of their marriages. The marriages are not loveless, love grows when you have the right attitude. They generally have a more realistic attitude to marriage, and are less likely to bail when the marriage goes through the inevitable ups and downs.

They put together resumes (honestly, comb bound with photographs ands pages and pages of information, now of course online as well) that the prospective partner receives before they even meet, and make their choice of who to meet among the resumes. It's not like they are just told to marry a stranger!

As I said, an arranged marriage is VERY different than a forced marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

RoiSoleil wrote: »
    Travellers have obviously been mentioned in this thread as they tend to marry quite young. I would hope this change protects these young people for a few extra years at least. I spoke to a traveller girl last year who was about fourteen. She was lovely well mannered and intelligent girl. I asked her what she wanted to do in life and she told me she wanted to be a vet. I said that was great and asked her where she planned to study. She answered "Oh, but it will never happen, I'll be married in a couple of years". Iasked her "Oh, to who?" Her answer: "I don't know yet". It absolutely broke my heart. Given the opportunity, this girl could go on and be a fantastic vet and marry whoever she pleases. I truly hate the "Ah sure it's their culture" argument. Some things just cannot be justified with the 'culture' argument.

The only people who use the "it's their culture" argument are themselves. They are the ones who wish to preserve their culture.

It's not so different to even the 1970s in Ireland when women were not allowed to work after marriage, there's not much point wasting money on university if you have to stop working as soon as you get married. So it resulted in a largely uneducated female population (of course some women did work independently but it was actually the law that married women had to quit public sector or civil service jobs). Most women married far younger then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

The marriages are not loveless, love grows when you have the right attitude. They generally have a more realistic attitude to marriage, and are less likely to bail when the marriage goes through the inevitable ups and downs.

Sorry but this is utter rubbish. Marriage is based around love. It's not a pint of Guinness that's an acquired taste if you keep at it. You shouldn't have to acquire it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sorry but this is utter rubbish. Marriage is based around love. It's not a pint of Guinness that's an acquired taste if you keep at it. You shouldn't have to acquire it.

In large parts of the world, it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭mrsweebri

I also know people in "arranged" marriages by choice. In the Jewish faith it is known as an 'introduction' and either party can refuse if they are not happy with the proposed partner. It is not forced, they were over the age of 18 and are happy with the situation. It is correct and important to make a distinction between arranged and forced marriages.

Nodin wrote: »
    In large parts of the world, it isn't.

And even in this part of the world, marriage purely for love is a fairly new concept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,162 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

RoiSoleil wrote: »
    Travellers have obviously been mentioned in this thread as they tend to marry quite young.

but that wasn't why the poster i replied to brought up travelers, he brought it up just to get a dig in at them and pavee point

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Advertisement