Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did you go to college?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

I got the Intermediate Certificate which opened a world of choices for me....back then. Now my son has a phd & has got a great job in Canada!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Studied at: Nail Technician at Sallynogin institude of further education
    Currently working at: Being a mad yoke
    In a relationship with Damo finch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

The University of Being a Full Time Mammy xx

Can't tell if being serious or if they think that's a real job haha

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyvegas22

I just finished up in kevin street and it has changed a lot since i started, at first there were feck all women like 10-1 style but the past year it was down to 2-1, if you really wanted to see a lot of women auinger was 1 min away

• Advertisement

UCG/NUIG

Because: It was handy to get to from home, most of my friends were going there and it had the course I wanted to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

Clown College

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

DIT Portland Row.

don't let them tell you it is Mountjoy Square - they just don't want to admit that it is in Portland Row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

U.C.G.

Great college. I got a degree but my CV magically shows a Masters! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

I just finished up in kevin street and it has changed a lot since i started, at first there were feck all women like 10-1 style but the past year it was down to 2-1, if you really wanted to see a lot of women auinger was 1 min away

Awww.... :(

• Advertisement

One University for 4 years, in current University for 5 years as a student and just started a job here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

DCU then Goteborgs Universitet.

Mad craic altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

COBÁC

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Carlow RTC

Does anyone remember them? There were only about a dozen of them back then scattered around the country, then education became less exclusive and they were called IT's and every small town got one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Starfleet Academy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Think of the worst 3rd level institutes between England and Ireland and I probably went there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Coney Island fair college- Go Whitefish!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

DCU. Then went to a PLC college after. Now I'm considering an IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Graduated top of my class in the School of Hard Knockers.

Oh yeah poindexters!

first degree in Dundalk I.T - computer science

second degree in Dublin business school - Journalism

Third degree - Accountancy with the o.u.

Plan on qualifying as an actuary next.

Also have professional qualifications in insurance

Jaysus who does three degrees. Pick a topic and focus on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

I haven't?

Wait - define college..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

Professional student?

Eternal Students or some people just can't decide what to do so do a number of degrees.

Eternal Students or some people just can't decide what to do so do a number of degrees.

Some people just love learning.

Nought wrong with that.

Candie wrote: »
    Some people just love learning.

Nought wrong with that.

That's fine, I'm a lecturer myself. But at least progress to a masters, then maybe phd or whatever. A love of learning needs to be supplemented with a bit of pragmatism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

DCU - Undergraduate degree
    UCD - Currently studying for a masters part time while earning all the monies. :P

That's fine, I'm a lecturer myself. But at least progress to a masters, then maybe phd or whatever. A love of learning needs to be supplemented with a bit of pragmatism

I suppose that would be the obvious progression and it seems strange that they didn't follow this line of progression. Also the degrees do seem very unrelated except for maybe the accounting and actuary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

3 years nuig, waste of time

1 year humboldt berlin, best move ever :D

The man likes variety. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I'm one of those people who has a love of learning and a number of degrees to my name, started with computer science and mathematics, then business and finance, and I'm currently doing a degree course in social care. I think the more pragmatic approach would be to learn enough to be useful, and progressing to a masters or phd level would've been more than I had actually needed because my objective was always more from a personal development perspective rather than a career development perspective.

Basically if I liked the idea of something, I knew what I had to do to make the most of the opportunity and that usually involved upskilling or educating myself in that field, and that meant going back to university or college or a private course. I consider the money spent on my education a long term investment, so I would say I certainly take a more pragmatic view to education than someone who progresses to a masters or phd level and then doesn't utilize their education to exploit their full potential.

Advertisement