Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a politicians home fair game?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The amount of people here who believe they have the right to traumatize children and families to make a point is a little worrying to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

ScumLord wrote: »
    Depends on your definition of good. If you mean "good" as is morally right then no, but if you mean "good" as in more effective at accomplishing their goal of making the politicians uncomfortable then, yes.
    I suppose you could take it a step further and threaten to burn their house down with their families inside of they didn't do what you wanted. That would be really effective, but clearly morally wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The amount of people here who believe they have the right to traumatize children and families to make a point is a little worrying to be honest.

I think it's quite heartening that the majority here see this as it is; shameful bullying

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Recently some protesters from the CAHWT water tax charges are protesting outside the homes of TDs.

I launched into a blistering attack on one of them yesterday for doing this.

In my view political protests are perfectly legitimate but it is completely morally wrong to protest outside the personal home of a politician. Other people I was speaking to agreed with me but the woman handing out the leaflets claimed the majority of people agree with her.

Regardless of what the issue is, Are the personal homes of politicians fair game for protests?

IM well aware there some people protesting and placing pickets outside tds homes-however they are nothing to do with cahwt-they are just Independent protesters separate from any campaign- mick barry in cork had this to say a while ago.
    A leading figure in the Cork anti-property and water tax campaign has distanced the movement from claims that they plan to take their fight to the family homes of government politicians.

Mr Barry distanced the campaign from the tactic. "Picketing the family homes of those politicians is not the policy of the campaign.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0611/world/home-pickets-aposnot-part-of-anti-tax-campaign-policyapos-233808.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Independent-Resistance/230497473763335

I can fully understand peoples anger and frustation in taking protests outsides tds homes and agree with the tactic- they are bringing the pain and misery to almost every home in ireland- they passed laws recently enough to make it easier for banks to evict people and repossess homes faster and they also threatned to restrict water supply to people who wont be able to afford to pay the water rates- so tds homes are more then fair game in my view-if anything protests outside tds homes should be stepped up by protesters-no use protesting outside their clinic when they arent even there.
    A surge in the number of home repossessions is on the cards after the Central Bank decided to change the rules.

Debt-ravaged homeowners will no longer have one year's protection from having their houses repossessed.

The 12-month ban on banks taking back properties from homeowners in arrears is being cut to two months.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/home-repossessions-set-to-surge-as-12month-grace-period-is-cut-29361602.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Another staggeringly insightful post from Hootanany. So an individual TD makes the decision yeh?

Have you seen what happens to individuals who go against the party whip?

So essentially, yes.. individuals do make the decision. They toe the party line regardless of what they believe in, and those who don't are alienated and turfed out. They know what they're getting into by becoming a party member, and they are responsible for the expanding line between party and constituent representation.

If individuals make empty promises to their constituents, and then blatantly go back on them then they can and do expect to be protested against at an individual or personal level.

wexie wrote: »
    Keeping that in mind I think everybody should feel free to make their lives as uncomfortable as possible within the bounds of the law.
    If I got bad service from Tesco, should I feel free to seek out the home address of the local Tesco manager and call around to his house in order to make his life as uncomfortable as possible?

It's not like yourself to be overly dramatic and emotive, Audrey

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

It's not like yourself to be overly dramatic and emotive, Audrey

:pac:

Don't even bother trying to get a rise out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Phoebas wrote: »
    If I got bad service from Tesco, should I feel free to seek out the home address of the local Tesco manager and call around to his house in order to make his life as uncomfortable as possible?

That is an incredibly bad and naive comparison.

In your case I'd recommend you take it up with Tesco Ireland, or the UK head office.

You should try googling accountability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,390 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Are the personal homes of citizens fair game for government?

Yeah, they don't mind targeting our homes and families. Good enough for us - good enough for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

in normal, non bankrupt countries, no

That is an incredibly bad and naive comparison.

In your case I'd recommend you take it up with Tesco Ireland, or the UK head office.
    And people who have a problem with a politician are perfectly free to take it up with the politician at their place of work. And if that doesn't work, vote against them at the next election.

If that doesn't work then suck it up.
    You should try googling accountability.
    You should try googling democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Have you seen what happens to individuals who go against the party whip?

So essentially, yes.. individuals do make the decision. They toe the party line regardless of what they believe in, and those who don't are alienated and turfed out. They know what they're getting into by becoming a party member, and they are responsible for the expanding line between party and constituent representation.

If individuals make empty promises to their constituents, and then blatantly go back on them then they can and do expect to be protested against at an individual or personal level.

Or they could very simply be turfed out by the electorate at the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

And people who have a problem with a politician are perfectly free to take it up with the politician at their place of work. And if that doesn't work, vote against them at the next election.

Oh believe me I have and in a democracy politicians should be accountable (there's that word again) to the people.....
    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.
    H. L. Mencken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You're really comparing consumer service to politics? Politicians are managing your life and your children's life. Even though you don't see them everyday it is a very personal experience. Tescos aren't devaluing your wealth, they have little affect on you.

We seem very disconnected from our politicians and politics in general in this country. The government shouldn't be considered a service provider like any other company. They're our employees, it's our company their ruining and it affects our lives directly and intimately.

• Advertisement

And people who have a problem with a politician are perfectly free to take it up with the politician at their place of work

Their place of work is at home about 60% of the time...

You should look up democracy yourself. You shouldn't be long realising that it's something which depends on the allowance for all forms of protest within legal bounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Bertie Ahern should be harassed everywhere he goes.

Oh believe me I have and in a democracy politicians should be accountable (there's that word again) to the people.....
    They are - through the normal democratic process.

Let's be clear here. People who would turn up at a politicians private home are attempting to intimidate by applying personal rather than political pressure. That is deeply anti democratic.

You're really comparing consumer service to politics? Politicians are managing your life and your children's life. Even though you don't see them everyday it is a very personal experience. Tescos aren't devaluing your wealth, they have little affect on you.

We seem very disconnected from our politicians and politics in general in this country. The government shouldn't be considered a service provider like any other company. They're our employees, it's our company their ruining and it affects our lives directly and intimately.
    Corporations have much more impact on my life than politicians do.

But if you don't like the Tesco example how about public services; if I don't like the service my kids are getting from their school, should I show up at the headmaster's home?
    What is uniquely special about my local TD that makes it acceptable to turn up at his house?

• Advertisement

Let's be clear here. People who would turn up at a politicians private home are attempting to intimidate by applying personal rather than political pressure. That is deeply anti democratic.
    How?

We can't really just kick back, relax and just vote for the other guy at the next election when it comes around. People live day to day, politics takes months and years, for no good reason either.

Corporations have much more impact on my life than politicians do.

But if you don't like the Tesco example how about public services; if I don't like the service my kids are getting from their school, should I show up at the headmaster's home?
    If it's convenient to do so I don't see why not. See I come from a small town, many people probably would go directly to his house if they knew him and depending on the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

If a person doesn't like their boss does that give them the right to sit outside the boss's house and harass the boss, their partner and children?

Talk your issue out with the boss.

Whether your boss is male or female, the issue is with them, surely.

Bully boy tactics on the boss or that person's partner or children is just wrong.

Being a bully is just wrong, full stop.

I just take a very hard line on bullies who think bully boy/girl tactics are ok.

Bully tactics are never ok.

Bullies can destroy people and their lives.

Aineoil wrote: »
    If a person doesn't like their boss does that give them the right to sit outside the boss's house and harass the boss, their partner and children?

Talk your issue out with the boss.
    I actually have a friend who did just this. The boss wouldn't pay him, ignored and avoided him. My friend has children he needs the money so he eventually went to the house. I think he was justified in doing so.

Politicians affect you in your home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Not at all ok. People doing this should be told to move on by guards and if they don't then arrested. Nobody should be getting hassled at their home like that. Tolerating it sends a bad message.

Protesting their offices is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

If it's convenient to do so I don't see why not. See I come from a small town, many people probably would go directly to his house if they knew him and depending on the issue.

That's still wrong. He should be allowed to live.

the three main banks have sent more than 12,000 legal letters to struggling householders threatening repossession.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/banks-imposing-draconian-rules-on-loan-deals-29554145.html

And a lot more houses then 12.000 will be receiving similar letters all because of recent new laws passed by government tds-for those of you who are saying tds homes are off limits etc- you sure are putting them on a higher pedestal then struggling homeowners-.

How?

We can't really just kick back, relax and just vote for the other guy at the next election when it comes around. People live day to day, politics takes months and years, for no good reason either.
    There are lots of ways of influencing politics short of voting every four or five years, including protesting.
    But when you've exhausted those and you still haven't been able to get your way through argument, then you need to accept that you lost and suck it up.

Upping the anti by taking your argument to someones personal home when you failed when you took it to their workplace has no other purpose other than to intimidate. That is anti democratic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Yeah. They cant expect to ruin peoples lives by piling more taxes on people already on the brink and swan off home to forget about it and play happy families. We are not talking about blowing houses up but standing outside with some banners.
    Id love to know what people with this kind of opinion think the governmental system actually operates like. I get the impression they think politicians are sitting around having meetings on how to screw the people of Ireland, laughing as they come up worth schemes more diabolical than the last.

That's far from how it works. These people have friends and family who are affected as badly by these things as the rest of the nation. Believe it or not, the majority of these guys are going for what they see as the fairest and least disruptive measures available for the tax payer.

Want a different system? Get off your arse, find like minded people and go do something about it. Raise awareness of the alternatives you've clearly put loads of time into developing and try to change how it all works. A motivated and dedicated public cannot be ignored or swept under the carpet. Indifference is Ireland's problem, not politicians

There are lots of ways of influencing politics short of voting every four or five years, including protesting.
    But when you've exhausted those and you still haven't been able to get your way through argument, then you need to accept that you lost and suck it up.

Upping the anti by taking your argument to someones personal home when you failed when you took it to their workplace has no other purpose other than to intimidate. That is anti democratic.

Are you somehow involved in party politics ? reading over your posts on this thread- the idea and suggestion of protesting outside their homes seems to really touch a nerve with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

you should try booking a round of golf with the taoiseach or a personal audience with the minister for finance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

They're not attempting to intimidate, they're attempting make their protest more effective.

Protesting is fundamental to the democratic process and attempting to apply limitations to what is "acceptable" for a peaceful protest is deeply anti-democratic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Seachmall wrote: »
    They're not attempting to intimidate, they're attempting make their protest more effective.

The only effective protest is one with more than a handful of people. The problem isn't those who protest (not counting those who resort to doing it at someone's home which is not acceptable IMO), it's those who don't. It's not what's being protested, it's the lack of effort to make the whole country understand the problems.

Irish people are, for the most part, collectively happy enough to be walked over by whoever wants to do it, and until that changes it's something thatll continue to happen

Through intimidation. What possible reason would there be to take the protest into someone's personal life when there is a perfectly reasonable opportunity to protest at their place of work?
    Protesting is fundamental to the democratic process and attempting to apply limitations to what is "acceptable" for a peaceful protest is deeply anti-democratic.
    Would it be acceptable to protest outside of the homes of the elderly parents of politicians? There are no limits at all - really?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Or they could very simply be turfed out by the electorate at the next election.

Big deal, what about the golden hand shake and pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

Yeah. They cant expect to ruin peoples lives by piling more taxes on people already on the brink and swan off home to forget about it and play happy families. We are not talking about blowing houses up but standing outside with some banners.

yes indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Through intimidation. What possible reason would there be to take the protest into someone's personal life when there is a perfectly reasonable opportunity to protest at their place of work?

I'm on the fence in regards to protesting outside a politician's house but I will ask, what is the point of protesting outside their office when it seems to be so ineffective?

Through intimidation.
    What intimidation? What are they threatening to do? To continue to stand outside the house?
    What possible reason would there be to take the protest into someone's personal life when there is a perfectly reasonable opportunity to protest at their place of work?
    Because it's too easy to ignore those who are negatively impacted by your decisions when you compartmentalise them into your 9 to 5.
    There are no limits at all - really?
    Really.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Anyone who it's ok is a dope.

There is no situation where politicians could please everyone, even if they were doing a pretty good job, so should politicians whether doing well or not ever have a moments peace? sure why stop there? lets just beat the ****e out of them all 24/7 while we're at it.

• Advertisement

I'm on the fence in regards to protesting outside a politician's house but I will ask, what is the point of protesting outside their office when it seems to be so ineffective?
    Maybe no point at all.

But I'd ask, why do people feel that they have a right for their protests to be effective? Sometimes you've got to accept that your argument didn't win the day and live with it.
    Otherwise power belongs to those who are prepared to shout the loudest, or, in the case of bringing the political argument into the personal lives of individual politicians, power belongs to those who are prepared to intimidate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Recently some protesters from the CAHWT water tax charges are protesting outside the homes of TDs.

I launched into a blistering attack on one of them yesterday for doing this.

In my view political protests are perfectly legitimate but it is completely morally wrong to protest outside the personal home of a politician. Other people I was speaking to agreed with me but the woman handing out the leaflets claimed the majority of people agree with her.

Regardless of what the issue is, Are the personal homes of politicians fair game for protests?

Would Denis O'Briens home be fair game????:pac::pac:

Really.
    No limits at all!!! So you think that it is perfectly reasonable to target the families of politicians, their parents and their kids!

why do people feel that they have a right for their protests to be effective?

Because they have that right.

No limits at all!!! So you think that it is perfectly reasonable to target the families of politicians, their parents and their kids!
    Peaceful protests are an extremely important part of democracy. As soon as you try to limit them you're infringing on the democratic process.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Political protests should be done outside political offices.

Not when they're shopping, not when they're in a pub, not outside their house, outside their offices.

......while using tax payers money to fund a lavish lifestyle??:pac:

mayordenis wrote: »
    lets just beat the ****e out of them all 24/7 while we're at it.

Let's just make insane leaps of logic to make our positions seem more reasonable :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Am Chile wrote: »
    IM well aware there some people protesting and placing pickets outside tds homes-however they are nothing to do with cahwt-they are just Independent protesters separate from any campaign

No

The Wicklow CAHWT clearly organised a protest outside a TDs house today.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Because they have that right.
    Let me get this straight. Its ok to protest at a politician's personal home because there is a legal right to do so?

It is nothing less than intimindation.

Terry Pratchet

Let me get this straight. Its ok to protest at a politician's personal home because there is a legal right to do so?

Because it is a required right.

Peaceful protests are an extremely important part of democracy. As soon as you try to limit them you're infringing on the democratic process.
    Wow. You honestly believe its ok to deliberately target the children of politicians for protest.
    That is an pretty extremist position to take.

• Advertisement
Advertisement