Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Player Issues/Troubleshooting - Post Here Only

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

****ing hell have they still not fixed this steaming pile of dung? how many years has it been?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Niall_76

Same as. Maybe if they invested a bit more of their revenue into tech rather than certain presenters salaries they might have a player that doesn't resemble a 1990's website.

They put all their budget into blocking VPNs from working on the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

TV3 player is every bit as rubbish, 50/50 if it will crash, some videos just refuse to load, all ads perfect and present every time of course though.

Its just the Irish way, I often felt embarrassed directing international customers to Irish websites in my old job, the websites are always shoddy and half broken, same for Irish apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Marc_C

I notice that most previous answers were years ago, but this is still the only solution to using this available at the moment.

I cannot comment on the IOS version of the Player, but the Android version remains completely unusable.

However the XL Player, which I cannot post the link for, still plays perfectly for me on Chrome, unlike the current default which mistakenly keeps telling me I have an AdBlocker installed. I do not., I suspect it is reacting to Google's checking of feeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Got 2 Samsung smart tv's. 1 is a 2016 model and other 2017, both on latest firmware. RTE player will not start on the 2016 model, anyone else got this issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

spix wrote: »
    Got 2 Samsung smart tv's. 1 is a 2016 model and other 2017, both on latest firmware. RTE player will not start on the 2016 model, anyone else got this issue?

Just checked the 2 of them I have here, 1 from 2016 and the 4K from 2017 both are working just fine, I'm hardwired with homeplugs...

Sometimes they both are capable of the odd shítfest and stuff doesn't load but I assume they are mainly firmware issue's that cause them and are usually sorted quick enough....

Did you try and hold the ok button over the app itself and see was there any updates available from the smart hub?

Actually checked was the live feed working also and it's fine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Fieldog wrote: »
    Just checked the 2 of them I have here, 1 from 2016 and the 4K from 2017 both are working just fine, I'm hardwired with homeplugs...

Sometimes they both are capable of the odd shítfest and stuff doesn't load but I assume they are mainly firmware issue's that cause them and are usually sorted quick enough....

Did you try and hold the ok button over the app itself and see was there any updates available from the smart hub?

Actually checked was the live feed working also and it's fine...

Went to apps section and there was an option to reinstall which fixed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

RTE Player won't resume after an ad break on our Samsung TV.

So watching a show goes like this:
    • Select show
    • click play
    • watch 2 mins or so of ads
    • show starts.
    • Show gets to ad break somewhere in the middle of the show
    • Ads play for about two minutes
    • Show stops
    • click play again
    • another 2 minutes of f&(*^(%"$ing ads
    • show starts again at the beginning of the show

The only workaround I've found is to skip forward to the section past the ad break and continue from there.
    Anyone else experience this and know of a fix?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Is it my internet or is rte player shocking. Watching match tonight and its totally blurred. Never a problem streaming anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm watching it too. T'is sh!te. Pixelled to fcuk

• Advertisement

Yeah and they where trying to up the license fee because of streaming. Total and utter fukkking jokers rte are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭lertsnim

fukk fukk fukk fukk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,438 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's generally brutal on any high demand show. 7.1% of the licence fee goes on The Orchestra and a paltry 2.6% goes towards online services, what a bloody joke of an organisation, they then go waffling about modernising.

original?width=630&version=3502480

https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-losses-2016-2-3502547-Jul2017/

Total and utter plonkers. And i say again trying to get extra money a while back because they had a player. A player that does not work just like the rest of the defunct organisation. The sooner the better they get whats coming to them and they are reduced in size and have to compete in the real world. At least the bbc produce some or there own stuff. All rte is a gravy train. Full of overpaid nobody's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It looks like I'm playing a game on the Atari 2600, ffs!

Lol. Its like the commodore 64. Or sensible soccer.

But we should still more or even double because rte provide such a good modern service. LOL TOTAL JOKERS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

works well for me..........most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Rte player is a joke. Could they not get rid of a few programmes on the telly. Late late show be first to go. Bring in some younger people with new ideas and pay them much less for more quality. Tubbridy is a waste of space.
    Actually sick of paying for this ****e every year. Watch rte around once every 3 weeks I'd say

• Advertisement

Rte is not fit for purpose. Defunct organisation outdated and won't move with the times. And yet they want an increase to feed the gravy train. They are a bunch of overpaid and in general talent less ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Does this thing ever work??? Trying to use the one on the website, have never ever gotten it to work in any browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

It's a poor show, alright.

For comparison, TV New Zealand has a much better player. "Small country" isn't a good excuse for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I'm not usually one to flog a dead horse, but figured I'd ask them about it.
    Hi RTE,

Can you please let me know how I can get the RTE player to work? Thus far it hasn't worked using Windows 10 or Linux, Firefox or Chrome.

If I have adblocker installed it asks me to disable it for rte.ie, which I do, but when I close the browser and try again, it still says I have ad blocker installed and to disable it for rte.ie.

99% of the time my attempts have just resulted in a blank screen. On one occasion I was lucky enough to catch 90 seconds of advertising, before being given a blank screen.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I stopped using it years ago due to the amount of fecking ads. If I want to view it I just put on the sky go app instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

yup, it's total rubbish. The ads are infuriating considering you have to wait 2 minutes to then see more 'live' ads on the show you're trying to watch. Then it generally hangs for a bit before buffering, syncing at one bit rate, stuttering, jumping forward a few seconds and so on and so on... The radio player doesn't actually work at all for me. In some ways, I guess I should be thankful. It saves me from the useless content.

• Advertisement

Is it even HD these days? Haven't tried to use it in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

Is it even HD these days? Haven't tried to use it in years.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

DeepBlue wrote: »
    RTE Player won't resume after an ad break on our Samsung TV.

So watching a show goes like this:
    • Select show
    • click play
    • watch 2 mins or so of ads
    • show starts.
    • Show gets to ad break somewhere in the middle of the show
    • Ads play for about two minutes
    • Show stops
    • click play again
    • another 2 minutes of f&(*^(%"$ing ads
    • show starts again at the beginning of the show

The only workaround I've found is to skip forward to the section past the ad break and continue from there.
    Anyone else experience this and know of a fix?

I have the same problem but most of the time I cannot get past the two damn ads. On an odd occasion, I actually get to see a program without this issue.

What's really is annoying though is that in order to see what television programs will work requires me to sit through the (mostly) same annoying ads in order to test various programs. 99% of the time, I cannot get past the ads.

I updated the firmware and confirmed that the Player was the correct version. Lots of others are having RTE Players apparently according to the Internet.
    Anywhere else e.g. in a private company, heads would roll but this is jobs-for-life RTE, so they're grand; they'll fix it when it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aoifebg

Hi,

I am having the same problems with the RTE player on a Samsung Smart TV.
    I see here people have updated the app, could anyone please tell me how to do that?
    At a loss here!

TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Just been watching all 6 episodes of the excellent mini-series "The Night Manager" and they cut it off before the final critical scene. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
    M

RTE Player and all the code belonging to it should be towed out to sea and sunk with 5 ton of concrete. It's pure rubbish, not up to scratch for a national broadcaster to own, if you pay licence fee you should not be subject to tout advertising, should be same as BBC iPlayer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Threads merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Any fix for this?

New Samsung Smart TV - RTE Player app - live tv - when I want to watch live tv, 2 ads will play on RTE Player and then it will automatically go straight back to menu

Very annoying

Anyone help?

Bought a new Samsung Smart TV and RTE Player justwon't play - 2 ads will play when I try to view my chosen content, and then once ads or over it just brings me back to the menu.

Anyone else have this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭JimFin

Bought a new Samsung Smart TV and RTE Player justwon't play - 2 ads will play when I try to view my chosen content, and then once ads or over it just brings me back to the menu.

Anyone else have this?

Have exactly that issue with a Samsung TV and unfortunately no solution. Only happens on some programmes. Most frustrating bit is when it works and the program goes to a commercial during the program and after the commercial it reverts to the menu :mad:

JimFin wrote: »
    Have exactly that issue with a Samsung TV and unfortunately no solution. Only happens on some programmes. Most frustrating bit is when it works and the program goes to a commercial during the program and after the commercial it reverts to the menu :mad:

I was initially only getting the problem on the Live Tv section of the RTE Player, but now all the On Demand content is affected by the problem :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

christ how many years have they been using that ball of sh**te player?? gotta be 7 years+ anyway. i gave up trying to use it. it's nothing short of a disgrace to be honest. this is taxpayer funded!

M

froog wrote: »
    christ how many years have they been using that ball of sh**te player?? gotta be 7 years+ anyway. i gave up trying to use it. it's nothing short of a disgrace to be honest. this is taxpayer funded!

The Orchestra gets nearly 3 times what the online service gets, says it all really...

original?width=630&version=3502480
    http://www.thejournal.ie/rte-losses-2016-2-3502547-Jul2017/

One of my reasons for purchasing a smart tv was gaining access to the RTE Player

waste of f**king time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

I have an LG smart tv and the rte player app doesn’t seem to have an option to view live tv!? Anyone know why!?

Cherrycola wrote: »
    I have an LG smart tv and the rte player app doesn’t seem to have an option to view live tv!? Anyone know why!?

It don’t work anyways so don’t beat yourself up over it

Gave it a month before I'd check again

Tried it again on my Samsung Smart TV on the RTE player app

Click something - 2 ads load and play fully - then if just goes straight back to the main menu

It's actually staggering the money that's pumped into this c**t of a national broadcaster and they can't get this right

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

I am looking for someone to scream at. Is it just me or is anyone else receiving shocking RTE player service during the world cup games. It is completely unacceptable, I don't care how many people are trying to view the service at work etc, they shouldn't say they have a service if they cant cater for the likely demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I've tweeted them a bunch of times over the years, ALWAYS during live events, and their response is always the same cut and paste reply implying that the issue is something your end and not theirs.

Same story since the World Cup started it seems from their replies.

https://twitter.com/RTEplayer/with_replies

Where are Mobdro getting their stream if RTE Player is so crappy? Thats what we're using at work, RTE Player is unusable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Sorry too lazy to see if this has been asked before...

RTE player through any Windows PC browser won't work because it says Adblocker Dectected. I don't use an adblocker.

RTE XL works but only for some videos. Often when I press play there is a message on the bottom bar saying Advertisement To Follow or something like that but it never starts....any ideas? Btw I get my internet through tethering with my smartphone and the RTE player on the phone works perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Moycullen1 wrote: »
    I am looking for someone to scream at. Is it just me or is anyone else receiving shocking RTE player service during the world cup games. It is completely unacceptable, I don't care how many people are trying to view the service at work etc, they shouldn't say they have a service if they cant cater for the likely demand.

Bottom line is RTE do not care about you or any of their customers, they still get paid (via the TV license) regardless of the quality of their output or the reliability of any services they provide (like RTE Player).

My parents are useless with technology but they're able to read the headlines on their tablet and laptop and they like the idea of RTE player but most times they try to use it they get to watch a programme to the first adbreak before the ads mess the whole thing up, either playing on a loop or most often finishing then refusing to load the next part of what they were watching. I never use it but it does the same thing to me when I try aswell across multiple devices, this has been going on for years now, no ploblem with other video platforms like Youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, I've had the same set of ads replay within the one break. It's strange. I wouldn't mind 1:30 mins of ads 2-3 times through an episode, but it's daft when the same set just loops. Mind you, Mr Mercedes played for me the other day without any breaks at all.

Advertisement