Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Road Deaths not our fault" - McDowell

Options
  • 11-07-2006 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

"Road Deaths not our fault" – McDowell

According to news reports (cannot find any links on the internet yet) Minister Michael McDowell said that it was not the government’s fault for the increased number of road deaths but it’s actually the fault of young drivers.
    Now I am aware that people have a responsibility to drive safely and young drivers are a major part of the problem, but I think this sort of statement from a minister is typical of this government not willing to take responsibility for anything.
    Of course the government must share the blame for the carnage. They are responsible for the policing and maintenance of our roads, both of which are factors in road safety. And both are areas which this gov. has failed, especially when it comes to policing,
    The more I think of what he is saying the more it is sickening me.
    And seeing as young drivers are part of the problem what is a retired TV presenter who had been well past his heyday when these guys where still in nappies, who expects them to listen to him ?

Cullen, Mc Dowell and all the way up to Bertie have a lot to answer for, and sadly I don’t expect to here a word of responsibility from any of them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Of course the government must share the blame for the carnage. They are responsible for the policing and maintenance of our roads, both of which are factors in road safety.

They're also responsible for training (well, they should be by insisting on a formal training course), testing & licensing.

I have no respect for Michael McDowell. He's arrogant and lives in a different world to the rest of us.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Just typical of the government to blame young people!!! Just cos they ain't no spring chickens!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Look, people are going to continue to be milled on our roads until the Training is improved, and until decent dual carriageways and motorways are constructed. We're in a first world economy, with thousands of cars, on roads designed for the second world, and to take hundreds of cars. The main Cork to Dublin road between Abbeyleix and Portlaoise is a contraflow road that twists and turns through ditches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Young people don't vote as much as the people who are 25+. Hence the reason to discriminate them. Come vote time they recieve the least hit.

We all know they are talking through their arse, if we had proper roads on the West there wouldn't be so many deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Okay-now-this is surely going to ruffle a few feathers but I have got to agree with McDowell - partially at least.
    The government can only do so much-short of turning the country into a complete nanny state. Road safety is one thing in which each and everyone of us has a responsibility to improve. Granted they could ensure certain rules are enforced more but this is neigh on impossible on all roads and full enforecent and detection rates will never be achieved.

I've voiced this before in this forum and I will keep saying it as I believe it to be true.
    As long as drivers continue to have a complete disregard for the safety of other on the road, continue to drive too fast for the conditions, and indeed drive with little or no patience or respect for other road users there will alway be carnage on our roads.
    Now who best that to change drivers habits than drivers them selves.
    If we think that this will never happen and that the government need to spoon feed us information and training (a lot of which might I add is common sense) then we should be prepared to face absolute enforcement of all rules of the road-which of course will warrant the usual complaints of the guards being too harsh......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

totally agree with kippy.

Most accidents happen because people do not adjust their driving to conditions - that is, going too fast, not paying attention, not leaving enough space in front, tailgating, etcetc...

Granted, lots of roads are in a shocking state - but if people drove carefully, and made allowances for that, a lot of accidents would not happen...

The government needs to send more guards on the roads of make sure people stay within the law, and overhaul the driving education (i.e. proper driver education, compulsory driving lessons, no driving without so many lessons being taken, and certainly no more L-drivers - even though they are probably the most cautious of the all, they might cause "follow-up" accidents due to their behaviour...

But apart from that, it's up to every driver to drive safely, and not endager other drivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

kippy wrote:
    Okay-now-this is surely going to ruffle a few feathers but I have got to agree with McDowell - partially at least.
    The government can only do so much
    Yeah, and they aren't even doing that.
    kippy wrote:
    -short of turning the country into a complete nanny state.
    How does enforcing exsisting sensible laws and maybe trying to have a proper training system resenble a nanny state?
    kippy wrote:
    Road safety is one thing in which each and everyone of us has a responsibility to improve.
    Agreed, to a certain extent. But a government that allows untrained drivers to drive alone and does not provide the resources to the gardai to enforece what laws there already are must take some responsibility.

Granted they could ensure certain rules are enforced more but this is neigh on impossible on all roads and full enforecent and detection rates will never be achieved.[/quote]

You do not need full detection. No country has full detection. We need increased detection. The risk of getting caught has to *appear* to be greater.
    kippy wrote:
    I've voiced this before in this forum and I will keep saying it as I believe it to be true. As long as drivers continue to have a complete disregard for the safety of other on the road, continue to drive too fast for the conditions, and indeed drive with little or no patience or respect for other road users there will alway be carnage on our roads.

Hmmm, how could we change this attitude? If only we had some kind of set of rules which governed how people behaved on the road. It could be a book perhaps. In this book it could be explained how one should behave onthe road. We could bavck this up with a comprehensive set of laws which promised punishment for those that broke these rules and laws. Then we could have a special police force that look after traffic. They could then enforce these laws. Wow, that would be great.

Then perhaps we could try to train better drivers somehow. Because if we want to get people to drive safely, with consideration for others we will have to train them. TBH I don't know how we can do that.I always though that tpye of thing was the remit of the government but you seem to think it is not for the government, sort of "training the beginning of the nanny state." If it is not the governments responsibility to sort out driver training then whos is it?
    kippy wrote:
    If we think that this will never happen and that the government need to spoon feed us information and training (a lot of which might I add is common sense) then we should be prepared to face absolute enforcement of all rules of the road-which of course will warrant the usual complaints of the guards being too harsh......

Why would drivers change their habits? If you do something and there are no ill consequences, in fact there are nothing but positive consequeces why would you change? It is a fact of human nature that unless there is a downside to a behaviour then that behaviour is unlikely to change. How about being dead for a downside, I hear you cry. Well that has limited success. The person who id killed will be much safer on the roads from that point on, everyone else will believe it will never happen to them.

Two things need to happen. The attitude of the current drivers needs to be changed and we need for form the correct attitude in our new drivers. The former will have to be done through enforcment and later through proper training. Neither of which are nannying.

MrP

galah wrote:
    But apart from that, it's up to every driver to drive safely, and not endager other drivers...
    The problem is, a lot of drivers simply don't know how to drive safely as they have never been shown.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Mr P,
    Great post.
    An agree with much of it.
    BUT
    The laws are already there-the rules of the road are already there-enforcement is already taking place-drink driving and speeding are harshly punished-and rightly so. Granted there could be more detection of these-however.....
    The government (no matter who they are)or anyone else cannot be expected to be responsible for every single road death in this country-the framework is there to drive safely. It is up to each and every driver to follow it.
    Accidents will always happen for one reason or another but cutting down on them is up to each and every one of us. Speeding and impatience on the road are as far as I am concerned two of the biggest killers. These are down to driver attitudes. The government cannot make someone more patient-this is something we need to instill in ourselves and as many have seen that is the whole point of those safety adds on the TV.
    Talking about these issues is great as it will hopefully make others think twice about their habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

kippy wrote:
    The government can only do so much-short of turning the country into a complete nanny state. Road safety is one thing in which each and everyone of us has a responsibility to improve. Granted they could ensure certain rules are enforced more but this is neigh on impossible on all roads and full enforecent and detection rates will never be achieved.

I've voiced this before in this forum and I will keep saying it as I believe it to be true.
    As long as drivers continue to have a complete disregard for the safety of other on the road, continue to drive too fast for the conditions, and indeed drive with little or no patience or respect for other road users there will alway be carnage on our roads.

I don’t think you are ruffling any feathers.
    I agree with the premis that the gov. can only do so much on road safety and the rest is up to the common sense of the drivers.
    However what sickens me is when McDowell comes out with statements like this http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/07/11/story267301.html at this time.

The Garadi , due to a lack of resources from government do not have the ability to enforce traffic law to a level that will make drivers change their habits.. Drivers will break the law (some to a greater degree than others) if there is a perception that they will not get caught. And from a recent report on the Penalty Points System they are not getting caught. And that is ultimately McDowell and Cullen’s responsibility.

There is also the perception that Garda resources are being used incorrectly. On the road that passes Galway Airport, a flat, straight, wide, 2 lane road with a 60km speed limit I have seen numerous garda speed checks, however I have seen none on the 80km by-roads that turn off it and are half the width, nor have I ever seen any on or near the 80km back road in Athenry that claimed 3 lives on Sunday evening.

Somebody has to take responsibility for this mismanagement of resources which is costing lives, and you can bet that it will not be toady or ever McDowell or Cullen.
    They both should be sacked forthwith, fat chance I know be we can only live in hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

kippy wrote:
    Speeding and impatience on the road are as far as I am concerned two of the biggest killers. These are down to driver attitudes. The government cannot make someone more patient-this is something we need to instill in ourselves and as many have seen that is the whole point of those safety adds on the TV.

Drivers would be more patient if they thought that there might be a cop or a camera around the next bend waiting to nab them for dangerous overtaking or speeding, but there is little chance of ever seeing a cop on anything other than a good road so they can be as impatient as they want

As for drink driving stic a cop car across the raod from a pub every so often at closing time and that will make people think twice.

Then again none of this can hapopen cos we still have not got the 2000 extra garadi promised, and we never will

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

every government who has even dreamed of enforcing the provisional licence rule has had uproar hit it. "Oh the poor craturs how will they get to work etc etc"

until the public themselves come to regards provisional holders as unsafe without supervision, rather than letting them drive alone because it's convenient, how can the guards and govt enforce the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

That's why you need a good government that understands that sometimes unpopular decisions have to be made. Thing is, sensible governments don't exist in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

McDowell is my current least favourite politician...

In this case I think he is mostly correct. People need a little bit of sense. Look at people who turn where signs say not to. They shouldn't have to be punished to learn to obey the rules, they should just do it.

I also agree that rules need to be enforced. Too often I see cars stopped on yellow boxes with near by Guards to busy texting to do anything about it.

Yes the government should have laws enforced but all the people who solely blame the government would then give out that they are being to strict. How about just driving more carefully an not expecting help the whole time. Do you call you mother every time you take a dump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

firstly let me say the deaths on the roads are tragic.

secondly politicians do have a lot to answer for.

But there is such thing as individual responsibility. If I'm speeding and I crash, it's my fault, If i'm drunk and I crash it's my fault... etc It's not the government or Gay Byrne it is me.

And lastly, there are genuine accidents, you cannot stop them, and there will always be innocent people killed by other peoples mistakes.

Last night (i ride a motorbike) I was being overtaken by a car on the wrong side of the road going up a hill with oncoming traffic. She was blessed her impatience didn't kill her. Was Gay Byrne or Michael McDowell driving that car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

paulm17781 wrote:
    McDowell is my current least favourite politician..
    My least favourite is Flan Garvey!
    Jesjes wrote:
    A Co Clare councillor has said rural dwellers should be excused from drink-driving.

Fianna Fáil Councillor Flan Garvey said people who visit pubs as their only social outlet are familiar with local roads and drive more carefully and slowly, especially when they have had a few drinks.

The elected local authority member has appealed for a "special understanding" to be shown.

He insists he does not condone drink-driving, but wants allowances made for certain people, such as those who live alone, and who would travel just a few miles to the pub once or twice a week.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054870798&referrerid=59211
    Then again that might have something to do with me being from Dublin and not understanding my country cousins who think drink and driving is acceptable behaviour, assuming Flan Garvey speaks for all the people in ruiral Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

A Co Clare councillor has said rural dwellers should be excused from drink-driving.

Fianna Fáil Councillor Flan Garvey said people who visit pubs as their only social outlet are familiar with local roads and drive more carefully and slowly, especially when they have had a few drinks.

The elected local authority member has appealed for a "special understanding" to be shown.

He insists he does not condone drink-driving, but wants allowances made for certain people, such as those who live alone, and who would travel just a few miles to the pub once or twice a week.
    This has to be a joke, right?? :eek:

So many things wrong with it.. let's pick out a few:
    - the idea that people HAVE to go to a pub
    - the idea that they should be allowed drive to/from there
    - they're familiar with local roads eh? Familiarity breeds contempt - hence people tearing along local R-roads
    - the somewhat ironic assertion from a country councillor that there's nothing else to do for entertainment in the countryside BUT drink
    - Him claming that he doesn't condone drink driving, but ... :rolleyes:

Don't you just love this country! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

MrPudding wrote:
    If only we had some kind of set of rules which governed how people behaved on the road.

We do. It's called common sense. A lot of people lose it when they get into a car. We can blame the quality of roads etc., but seeing as we know they are bad, then we should be driving more carefully on them. The ultimate responsibility for accidents comes down to those that drive on the roads. Drive carefully everyone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yes most of road deaths are caused by driver error.

But there is no pressure on drivers to behave, especially the young male drivers. Despite 31 new offences the number of penalty points issued has only gone up 10% since their introduction. The number of deaths shows this is not because people are afraid of the points.

We are spending BILLIONS on new roads, but aren't prepared to spend Millions on road safety. With better driver education we could use narrower lanes on many suburban link roads which would probably save the cost. With human lives valued at a million each for the purposes of road safety and penalty points providing some of the financing you can't argue that a couple of million at the driving test or recruiting more traffic cops might be one of the most cost effective ways of reducing the road deaths.

I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

"Road Deaths not our fault"

Yes it is when you are happy allow 17 year kids who don't have any experience, training or full licence to drive a car only for your tax coffers you complete moron of a man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

driver attitude has a lot to do with it

however if we adopted and enforced the UK approach of only letting people drive unaccompanied once they have their full licence (and even then imposing restrictions for the first year or two), this would have some impact, no doubt

again it's the 3 E's - engineering,enforcement,education

i'd weight it towards enforcement personally...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kippy wrote:
    Okay-now-this is surely going to ruffle a few feathers but I have got to agree with McDowell - partially at least. The government can only do so much-short of turning the country into a complete nanny state.
    Would you have us run the gauntlet of serial killers also? If you can't out run the serial killer you deserve to die?

Not only do the stupidest (or drunkest or most tired or cockiest or unluckiest) 10% of the population need to be protected from themselves. We need to be protected from them. We rely on the government to do this. So far the government has been unsuccessful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

dead right victor that was what I was going to say, apart from training and enforcement the governments job is protect the people being hit and killed by these reckless drivers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Victor wrote:
    Not only do the stupidest (or drunkest or most tired or cockiest or unluckiest) 10% of the population need to be protected from themselves. We need to be protected from them. We rely on the government to do this. So far the government has been unsuccessful.
    Road incidents are perhaps the biggest preventable killers of people in the 15-45 age group.

You don't need licenses to ride bikes or horses or walk or jog or use a small boat or hang glide or moountain climbing or most other dangerous activities where the chances of you harming another person are extremely small.

You do need licenses for aircraft , ships and firearms, model aircraft , amatuer radio and other stuff where you can cause harm to others if you don't pay attention.

A car is a lethal weapon, more people have died since penalty points started than in "the troubles" up North. It's not a right. You earn the right to drive by proving that you aren't a danger to other road users, or at least that's the way it works in the rest of the western world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

A car is a lethal weapon, more people have died since penalty points started than in "the troubles" up North. It's not a right. You earn the right to drive by proving that you aren't a danger to other road users, or at least that's the way it works in the rest of the western world.

I have seen many terrible licensed drivers. They were obviously good enough to pass once. Either compulsory testing every 3 years or drive more carefully. McDowell (as much as I hate him) can't be held responsible for anuses who are "too cool" to obey the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

paulm17781 wrote:
    McDowell (as much as I hate him) can't be held responsible for anuses who are "too cool" to obey the rules of the road.
    Yes he will, I'm getting an appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

paulm17781 wrote:
    I have seen many terrible licensed drivers. They were obviously good enough to pass once. Either compulsory testing every 3 years or drive more carefully. McDowell (as much as I hate him) can't be held responsible for anuses who are "too cool" to obey the rules of the road.
    maybe they are provisonal license holders without L plates......

paulm17781 wrote:

Why do people drive badly? Either beacuase they do not know better or they can't be arsed driving well.

People drink and drive because it is easier for them than having to get a taxi home and then find their way back to the pub the next day to get the car.

They know it is dangerous, yet they continue to do it. Why? beacause it is easiest option for them. They know the penalty is to lose their license but they also know he chance of getting caught is slim. Human nature dictates the behaviour will continue until the chance of getting the punishment becomes so likely that it is not worth the risk.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

The stats show that after the initial introduction of penalty points, we were amongst the safest countries in the world for a few months. Then the fatalities began to rise again.
    This shows that motorists know how do drive safely, but choose not to. Therefore training should not be a priority.

You can argue that enforcement would help, and it probably would, but I'm not convinced that abdicating personal responsibility is the way to go. Blame the government if you want, but it's the drivers causing the accidents.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

corktina wrote:
    maybe they are provisonal license holders without L plates......

Or they could be a driver who was given amnesty some years back rather then trying to test the amount of people without a license.

Or they could be illegally driving without a license.

blaming it all on the Provisionals is a bit of a cop out.

Advertisement