Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Womans ailment misdiagnosed, has 2 months to live.

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Many modern medicines contain herb extracts, or are derived from plants.

An Irish doctor discovered this

Steve Jobs should not have gone alternative for something as serious as pancreatic. At the same time, Id be inclined to throw everything at it.

But you are not talking of medicine. You are talking of Alternative/Holistic remedies, which doesn't go through the kind of testing mentioned in the article you linked. So in essence, that stuff you referenced as Herbs, are weeds. What about the foot rubbing, the staring competitions or even the pinching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

What I meant to say, I suppose, was that if you feel that conventional doctors are not satisfying your health concerns, dont be afraid to go the hollistic route.

Yes, that's what this woman with undiagnosed cervical cancer needed - herbs and a foot massage would've cleared it right up.

If you don't feel your doctor is satisfying your health concerns, consult another doctor. Keep doing that until you find one who does address your concerns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

This story is breaking my heart.

I've been misdiagnosed myself and currently waiting for further results to see how serious things are. The surgeon over-ruled my recommended biopsy and instead I have been on unnecessary hellish treatment for four months before my surgery. It should have then been a straightforward procedure but instead when they cut me open things looked all wrong (malignant). After four days of hell i found out it hasn't spread to my lungs so im not dying but I'm still waiting to find out the next course of action.

What the mother in the article wrote about not being afraid to die but not being ready is unbearably sad and pretty much summed up exactly how I felt in hospital.

Katgurl wrote: »

I've been misdiagnosed myself and currently waiting for further results to see how serious things are. The surgeon over-ruled my recommended biopsy and instead I have been on unnecessary hellish treatment for four months before my surgery. It should have then been a straightforward procedure but instead when they cut me open things looked all wrong (malignant). After four days of hell i found out it hasn't spread to my lungs so im not dying but I'm still waiting to find out the next course of action.

What the mother in the article wrote about not being afraid to die but not being ready is unbearably sad and pretty much summed up exactly how I felt in hospital.

jesus, so sorry to hear that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Yes, that's what this woman with undiagnosed cervical cancer needed - herbs and a foot massage would've cleared it right up.

If you don't feel your doctor is satisfying your health concerns, consult another doctor. Keep doing that until you find one who does address your concerns.

Sometimes you also have to take some action yourself. When I was suffering from very bad upper leg pains my GP sent me for x-rays, physio checks, blood test etc. All negative according to the hospital. She wanted to do an MRI scan but it would have taken months on the public waiting lists so I went privately. Three days and €200 later I was told I had two fractured hips, potentially life threatening through blood clots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

But you are not talking of medicine. You are talking of Alternative/Holistic remedies, which doesn't go through the kind of testing mentioned in the article you linked. So in essence, that stuff you referenced as Herbs, are weeds. What about the foot rubbing, the staring competitions or even the pinching?

can we eat to starve cancer?

well worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

obplayer wrote: »
    My personal experience is that with GPs you are far better with a woman than a man and I speak as a man. Women listen and they do not seem to have the same need to be the 'important person'.
    Agree,my GP's practice is husband & wife.I went to see mr doc in feb 2012 with a cough,was sent off with antibiotics,went back few months later with same cough to see mrs doc,she sent me straight for chest xray because being an ex smoker
    Turned out to be 10cm kidney tumor :rolleyes:
    Katgurl wrote: »

Hope things work out for you Katgurl

can we eat to starve cancer?

well worth a look.

That's an excellent video (a TED video) and I have to add that it is actually based on science, like microscopes, statistics, chemical analysis and stuff. Nothing to do with your earlier suggestions of twiddling peoples' feet or getting them to drink shaken water.

That's an excellent video (a TED video) and I have to add that it is actually based on science, like microscopes, statistics, chemical analysis and stuff. Nothing to do with your earlier suggestions of twiddling peoples' feet or getting them to drink shaken water.

you must have mis-read my earlier post. I was not advocating Homeopathy (drinking shaken water as you put it).. I was faulting it, and Reki as legitimate medical practices.

• Advertisement

you must have mis-read my earlier post. I was not advocating Homeopathy (drinking shaken water as you put it).. I was faulting it, and Reki as legitimate medical practices.

My apologies for the homeopathy, I misread your post. The twiddling peoples' feet I mentioned was actually referring to reflexology, but in any case I apologise for my clumsy post. The video was first rate and people really should watch it.

My apologies for the homeopathy, I misread your post. The twiddling peoples' feet I mentioned was actually referring to reflexology, but in any case I apologise for my clumsy post. The video was first rate and people really should watch it.

hey, no probs...... your right, everyone should watch that video, but the difficulty is that it is 20 minutes long and AH may not be the best place to post it.

Maybe its worthy of a thread of its own...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Calibos wrote: »
    You can take your quackery elsewhere buddy. Tis bad enough in a thread about a sore foot or menstrual cramps or something but in a cancer related thread. Jesus H Christ.

People often say, "Whats the harm in alternative medicine, so what if its all bollocks and placebo and a waste of money, let people believe what they want to believe".

The type of ****e posted above is an example of the harm in alternative medicine. :rolleyes:

Dara...is that you? :D

My own tuppence..
    I have first hand experience of negligence with GP's and Consultants here. And to be perfectly frank, on several occasions, it was willful as files have "disappeared"(2 occasions, one myself where after a year almost of attending a particular hospital I was told "They had no record of me being a patient there", one my child), files and test results were "altered" after the fact and a totally different result on a test I had, I had a copy of the original). These are the "minor" things, I have dealt with a LOT worse

Tbh, if I tell people the things I have witnessed in the experiences I have had with the medical community over the last number of years, there are 2 responses.

Disbelief
    Write a book

hey, no probs...... your right, everyone should watch that video, but the difficulty is that it is 20 minutes long and AH may not be the best place to post it.

Maybe its worthy of a thread of its own...

You could well be right, not sure what forum it should be in though.

Smidge wrote: »
    My own tuppence..
    I have first hand experience of negligence with GP's and Consultants here. And to be perfectly frank, on several occasions, it was willful as files have "disappeared"(2 occasions, one myself where after a year almost of attending a particular hospital I was told "They had no record of me being a patient there", one my child), files and test results were "altered" after the fact and a totally different result on a test I had, I had a copy of the original). These are the "minor" things, I have dealt with a LOT worse

Tbh, if I tell people the things I have witnessed in the experiences I have had with the medical community over the last number of years, there are 2 responses.

Disbelief
    Write a book

I would genuinely suggest you write a book or set up a web page / blog but please be careful that you do not leave yourself open to legal action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

My own tuppence..

Disbelief
    Write a book

Or you know, you could make a complaint about all this to the relevant regulatory body.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You could well be right, not sure what forum it should be in though.

There's a Health Sciences forum here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Candie wrote: »
    This will always happen, because until those infallible robot doctors take over, doctors will be human and make errors. Everyone does it sometimes but with doctors the stakes can be (and are) much, much higher. Wilful misdiagnosis and human error are two very different things.

The other point is that as long as the health system is understaffed and patients are herded through as quickly as possible, to get as many seen by as few staff as possible, the conditions for error will be perfect. Nobody wants to be seen by an overworked and overtired doc, but that's what's usually on offer in the hospital system.

It should never have happened, but it will continue to happen.

I agree that doctors are only human so will make mistakes. Where a mistake costs someones life tho it needs to be looked into, if it's very obvious that it's a case of serious neglect rather than a simple oversight then there needs to be repercussions.

A woman visiting the doctor 20 times in a year with the same symptoms being ignored is not a simple oversight, it is serious neglect of basic duties. Doubly so when the symptoms presented are clearly indicative of a common illness. That doctor should not be allowed to continue practicing.

Being overworked is not an excuse for such a colossal f*ck up.

A woman visiting the doctor 20 times in a year with the same symptoms being ignored is not a simple oversight, it is serious neglect of basic duties.

It's also pretty bizarre behaviour by the sick woman.

It's also pretty bizarre behaviour by the sick woman.

How so?

Granted the best course for her would have been to go to another doctor, which she eventually did. But I can only assume there was something stopping her doing so, as she was clearly knew something wasn't right. Or she believed she would just get the same response elsewhere.

• Advertisement

How so?

I think most people would get the message after 2 or 3 visits with the same symptoms - going to the same doc 20 times and expecting a different result is mad. And leaving serious symptoms untreated for a year is mad.

I think most people would get the message after 2 or 3 visits with the same symptoms - going to the same doc 20 times and expecting a different result is mad. And leaving serious symptoms untreated for a year is mad.

You're right she is clearly mad and it's obviously her own fault she is dying.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Or you know, you could make a complaint about all this to the relevant regulatory body.

Oh believe me, I did.
    It was very successfull :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Just 'patient appeasement' a lot of the time

gctest50 wrote: »

I was neither "pleased" nor "appeased" :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

I find it shocking how often doctors fail to investigate symptoms that the patient feels are relevant. I was told for over two years that a lump in my neck was swollen glands by several GPs, even though I insisted my throat wasn't sore in any way. Finally got sent to Ear Nose and Throat clinic where after months of tests it turned out I had thyroid cancer the whole time. I was fifteen. Docs won't consider the possibility of you having a particular illness if you don't fall into the 'bracket' for it. I was told I was too young for the GPs to have thought of thyroid cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I have a great doctor now, he's a real people person and is very down to earth and will do his best to relate to his patients. We had to change doctors, I was really unhappy with our last doctor. No beside manner at all. i sometimes think that some doctors would be much happier dealing with case studies rather than real people. If you're going to go into the life saving profession you should at least appear to care about people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Well no that's not really it, it's more so that they tend to consider things like age and diet and lifestyle in working out whether or not it's likely to be something else. Ya know, statistics.

Unfortunately, statistics mean nothing to the individual.

Oh believe me, I did.
    It was very successfull :rolleyes:

So there was either insufficient evidence to support your allegations or what you presented wasn't deemed serious enough. Can't really blame other people for that.

gctest50 wrote: »

But nobody is forcing you to do this so how is it appeasement? Also, setting up regulatory bodies that cost millions and millions to run is appeasement? Ha!

• Advertisement

Mickey H wrote: »
    Unfortunately, statistics mean nothing to the individual.

I get that, but how many things in a job do people decide on based on what's likely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Aeternum wrote: »
    I find it shocking how often doctors fail to investigate symptoms that the patient feels are relevant. I was told for over two years that a lump in my neck was swollen glands by several GPs, even though I insisted my throat wasn't sore in any way. Finally got sent to Ear Nose and Throat clinic where after months of tests it turned out I had thyroid cancer the whole time. I was fifteen. Docs won't consider the possibility of you having a particular illness if you don't fall into the 'bracket' for it. I was told I was too young for the GPs to have thought of thyroid cancer.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Keeping this vague and short as there maybe "actions" taken over this down the road. Below is about 1/3 of the story of what actually happened...

A friend of mine is currently in hospital suffering a re-occurance of their Lymphoma. In their early 30's with a young family. It was a fcuking ordeal of the highest order to get them diagnosed and treated the first time around. Their Lymph nodes were swollen and they were listless and tried all the time. None the less they kept getting passed around for weeks with everyone seemingly unable to diagnose what it was. Someone finally copped it, done a bi-op of the lumps and Cancer! Chemo, months of suffering and they got a clean bill of health approx 6 weeks ago.

A week after getting the all clear this person started showing the exact same symptoms again. Lumps, tired, listless, high temp, in agony, not able to sleep. It took the fcuking ass-hats in our health system 3 further weeks to diagnose what you and I know was wrong. The person's GP sent them into A&E repeatedly, to the local out of hours doctor service etc. Kept getting told it was just a fever/infection and given pain killers. This went on for two weeks. In those two weeks this person probably slept less than 3/4 hours a night, did not eat properly and what little weight and strength they had after the original chemo was gone again.

One particular night when it got really bad they went into A&E in the night with the kids. Spent 20 hours in there waiting and when a nurse rang the oncology ward the next morning to explain a very recent patient of theirs was in A&E, very ill and displaying the EXACT same syptoms as previously, the on duty doctor refused to come down and see her. He told the nurse her scans were clear and it was probably just a fever! Another night in A&E this persons pains got really bad so their mother went to get a nurse to give them more pain killers. Turns out the nurse had gone off shift with the only available key for the medicines cabinet in her pocket! Its took three further hours to track the nurse down and get them to drive back in with the key.

So as of now the sick person is too ill and weak to go home and is in hospital after weeks of being messed around. They are facing a second bout of severe chemo and a bone marrow transplant/stem cell treatment. This persons spouse has been badly affected by seeing their loved one sink the way they did and is barely keeping it together with work, kids, bills and complete and utter stress of it all.

Its not the done thing to criticise front line staff or health professionals but I fcuking well will. The levels of incompetance, stupidity and lack of caring shown by these monkies is beyond belief. The oncology doctor who couldn't take 30 minutes to come down from the ward to see a person he knew by name who was displaying the exact same symptoms he helped treat a matter of days beforehand. The nurse who brought keys home and let them suffer unbelievable pain levels for 3 extra hours. The A&E staff who repeatidly sent them home with mild pain killers for their "infection/fever" after a week of their symptoms not improving and in fact getting only worse. The stress that family has been put through just to get to this stage. They still have the chemo to come and God forbid possibly worse.

Don't want to give specific details so I won't type anymore on it but there is a lot more I could write about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You're right she is clearly mad and it's obviously her own fault she is dying.
    I'm not sure that's what he meant. It does seem crazy that you would continue to attend the same doctor when you have the same symptoms and what the doctor's doing doesn't work. But then the doctor's the expert and if the doctor is trying something different every time, you could easily believe that they're trying their best.

The health authorities and even the doctors themselves should be encouraging patients to seek second opinions. I find it really bizarre this culture of stonewalling that exists - that when a patient seeks a second opinion, a doctor is less willing to overrule or second-guess his colleague.
    When I'm in work and concerned that what I'm doing may not be the correct course of action, I seek and encourage questioning of what I'm doing. And all I'm concerned about is the potential to take a website off the air for a few minutes.
    Why would we not actively encourage multiple experts to examine a case when it's someone's health at risk?

On top of that, clinical practice probably plays a big part in it. It's normal on examination of a patient for a doctor to automatically (practically without thinking about it) rule out the least likely causes; cancer, ebola, etc; and assume that the cause is most likely to be something simple and common.

On subsequent visits for the same condition, the doctor's considerations then need to go a little deeper. However, if the doctor hasn't done adequate due diligence in keeping patient notes and checking up on them again, on each visit he may be inclined to treat the symptoms as "new" and continually fail to recognise the need to consider there may be a darker cause to it.

My daughter had to attend a cardiologist after birth for a benign post-natal condition. On each visit, the doctor dictated her notes into a dictaphone before the appointment was even over, and then on the next visit she knew everything about the case. She was so familiar with the case that she talked to us about it like the last examination we did was yesterday, even though there was more than a year between the last two appointments.
    And yet we've all had experience with doctors who can barely remember our names even though it's written in front of them.

So clearly there are big gaps in clinical procedures and the standard between institutions and doctors. Perhaps GPs should be subject to a clinical audit every five years which does things like examine their patient files looking for the quality of the patient notes, examining their prescription records to see what kinds of things they're prescribing, etc etc?

Our local GPs set up fairly recently and about six months in they needed a locum to cover them for 3 days. The locum spent most of her time making a long list of equipment and supplies that were not present in the surgery but were badly needed. How can you be a GP and offer adequate care without the correct equipment? How can they be allowed to set up a surgery without all of that equipment?

seamus wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's what he meant. It does seem crazy that you would continue to attend the same doctor when you have the same symptoms and what the doctor's doing doesn't work.

I don't know the woman's personal circumstances so I can only guess as to why she didn't see another doctor, but there are plenty of reasons why she might unable to do so. I don't know how the UK system works but if it's similar to the medical card system here it's very difficult to change your GP, and if you want to see a different one you would have to pay. She might live in a rural area where there is no other option without travelling too far. etc. etc.

I think it's mental to assume the woman is crazy for not seeing another doctor when there are plenty of logical reasons she may have been unable to do so.

If the woman was unable to see a different doctor then what should she have done? Just give up after the 3rd/4th visit even tho her condition was getting worse?

If the woman was unable to see a different doctor then what should she have done? Just give up after the 3rd/4th visit even tho her condition was getting worse?
    Insist on a second opinion or a referral. If the GP is as incompetent as he seems to be then he would have been more than happy to fob her onto someone else and off his plate.

I'm not blaming her, I'm pointing out that there's something fundamentally wrong when both a GP and their patient think that it's normal to present 10+ times for a "simple" problem that's not getting any better.

Perhaps we should introduce a similar scheme that they have to school absences - when a patient presents to a doctor with the same symptoms more than 5 times in any 12 months, the doctor is obliged to refer them to a specialist?

Sure, the few hypochondriacs will abuse the system to continue getting referrals, but it could also help catch a lot of stuff.

Insist on a second opinion or a referral.

Can you insist on that, do they actually have to oblige? What if they just think you are a hypochondriac and refuse?

If you can I was unaware, so it's quite possible she was too.

The medical card here requires you to spend six months with the one doctor.

And yes it is your right to get a second opinion. Though the doctor does not have to arrange this for you.

Can you insist on that, do they actually have to oblige? What if they just think you are a hypochondriac and refuse?

If you can I was unaware, so it's quite possible she was too.
    You can be a right pain the doctor's ass. Hypochondriacs do it all the time and walk away with referrals and prescriptions.

This is in fact probably what the doctor was thinking, that it was all in her head, but then I'm choosing not to believe the possibility that a practicing doctor was just *that* incompetent as to ignore the signs that something more serious was wrong.

You can be a right pain the doctor's ass. Hypochondriacs do it all the time and walk away with referrals and prescriptions.

This is in fact probably what the doctor was thinking, that it was all in her head, but then I'm choosing not to believe the possibility that a practicing doctor was just *that* incompetent as to ignore the signs that something more serious was wrong.

That's obviously the road she took tho, 20 visits in a year sounds like a serious pain in the ass to me. Yet she didn't walk away with a referral. She had to wait until her symptoms were bad enough to be admitted to the emergency room.

Wether the doctor believed that or not is irrelevant, he should still at the very least have sent her for an urgent smear test. It's a cheap procedure that rules out an awful lot of things. There is no excuse for his failure to do that much.

• Advertisement

But nobody is forcing you to do this so how is it appeasement? Also, setting up regulatory bodies that cost millions and millions to run is appeasement? Ha!

You must work for the HSE because thats almost precisely the response I and, may I add a whole lot of people get when they complain.
    When I complained about my file being missing(and I mean totally, no record of me having attended for almost a year)I was told "How can we investigate it, if we have no record of you attending here. You couldn't have been a patient here."

I kid you not folks

You must work for the HSE because thats almost precisely the response I and, may I add a whole lot of people get when they complain.
    When I complained about my file being missing(and I mean totally, no record of me having attended for almost a year)I was told "How can we investigate it, if we have no record of you attending here. You couldn't have been a patient here."

I kid you not folks

No you guessed wrong. It just doesn't make sense. So I'm guessing you complained to the hse then? You do realise they're not a regulatory body right?

No you guessed wrong. It just doesn't make sense. So I'm guessing you complained to the hse then? You do realise they're not a regulatory body right?

To be perfectly frank, I'm not going to air every detail on a public forum. I complained through the proper channels from hospital (where you MUST start your complaints process)and upwards. I was stonewalled at every turn and never received any redress nor explanation. What I did receive though for my trouble was a healthy dose of stress, hassle, runaround and grief. I dealt with people who were at best dismissive and at worst threatening. I spent 2 years of my life trying to fight it and after that amount of time decided that for the sake of my sanity, to walk away. I was NEVER going to win.
    And as I have said before, its not just me. Its not small numbers of people who experience this treatment. And I think a lot of people know this who have tried to deal with/make complaints with these bodies.

No you actually don't have to begin the process there. But whatever, you obviously don't want to hear any logic here.

If your complaints went nowhere its very likely there was either no evidence or it was deemed not serious enough.

Advertisement