Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone had dealings with Computron or MacRepair?

Options
  • 03-06-2010 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

There are two glossy and plausible web sites out there, www.computron.ie and www.macrepair.ie offering sales and service and claiming to operate from an address in Kilkenny - Unit 4, The Smithlands Centre, Waterford Road, Kilkenny ; phone 1890876688, email info@macrepair.ie, web site /www.macrepair.ie/, contact Andrew Lane; Andrew is never there, because this is an unoccupied unfinished office - the builders there no nothing of Computron - so you're asked to drop off equipment at a baby shop downstairs. He picks it up, and then... you guessed. For more info on Mr lane have a look at http://boardreader.com/thread/Anyone_Bought_From_ComputersComputers_ie_1mxgXxzjzhk.html?o=20
    . Neither Computron nor MacRepair are registered as companies at the cro. Caveat emptor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rowangall2003

I have been scammed by macrepairs.ie

They won't answer phone calls or emails and have my laptop and money. Reporting to Gardaí today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 skeoghman

I did finally get my laptop back but not in the condition I sent it in - reassembled with wrong screws and screws missing and a broken keyboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JMTMAHER

I had <SNIP> out only this week as my computer was on a go slow. He told me there were at least a couple of viruses on it and took it away. When he brought it back he said he put windows back on (incl. My Documents) and left it running while I paid him a cheque for €120.00. It took a few hrs to go through everything but what I didn't realise is that he only restored all factory settings and in doing so DELETED ALL MY PROGRAMS on the computer. I left loads of message on his voicemail and he only replied when I threatened to report him to the guards. He said everything was gone and there was nothing he could do to restore what he did. Had two accounting packages on the computer, which are both deleted. Will know next week if I can manage to retrieve any of the data. HAVE REPORTED HIM TO THE GUARDS which are acting on it as I write this. This guy is a <SNIP> all over the place. I am going to my solicitor next week to bring this guy to court. :mad: P.S. I cancelled the cheque the next morning!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Whatever about anything else, it is pretty standard that it's the customer/users responsibility to ensure that you have a backup of anything important on your computer.

A system reinstall involves removing everything from the disk, and without supplied installation disks it's not always possible to restore everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

JMTMAHER wrote: »
    what I didn't realise is that he only restored all factory settings and in doing so DELETED ALL MY PROGRAMS on the computer
    Had two accounting packages on the computer, which are both deleted

This is pretty standard procedure for virus eradication, although he should have informed you clearly of this beforehand. Surely you can just re-install your accounting programs etc from the original discs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

I had <SNIP> out only this week as my computer was on a go slow. He told me there were at least a couple of viruses on it and took it away. When he brought it back he said he put windows back on (incl. My Documents) and left it running while I paid him a cheque for €120.00. It took a few hrs to go through everything but what I didn't realise is that he only restored all factory settings and in doing so DELETED ALL MY PROGRAMS on the computer. I left loads of message on his voicemail and he only replied when I threatened to report him to the guards. He said everything was gone and there was nothing he could do to restore what he did. Had two accounting packages on the computer, which are both deleted. Will know next week if I can manage to retrieve any of the data. HAVE REPORTED HIM TO THE GUARDS which are acting on it as I write this. This guy is a <SNIP> all over the place. I am going to my solicitor next week to bring this guy to court. P.S. I cancelled the cheque the next morning!!!!

Just reinstall the accounting packages from the disks you got when you bought them. No wait... let me guess... you don't actually own the accounting packages!

Maybe the gardai should be looking into you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Whatever about anything else, it is pretty standard that it's the customer/users responsibility to ensure that you have a backup of anything important on your computer.

A system reinstall involves removing everything from the disk, and without supplied installation disks it's not always possible to restore everything.

While everybody should obviously always have a backup of their important files, it's totally irresponsible for a tech to format a machine without first talking to the owner. Obviously I don't know what the owner was actually told in this case.

whatever about back-ups, avoid this guy like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He said everything was gone and there was nothing he could do to restore what he did. Had two accounting packages on the computer, which are both deleted.
    So? Reinstall them. If you bought them, you'll still have the disks. I assume you make regular backups of your data, otherwise it's a costly lesson to do so in the future.

Also, is it possible to check the IP's of the new users who signed up to slander the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 winit

hi, my daughter has not received her computer back. did <SNIP> sort you out. did you get your computer back.....

• Advertisement

sorry didn't see this post till i'd replied to your previous post.. do you have any other information about this computron as going to contact the guards today..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Unless it's a criminal matter, the Gardai can't and won't do anything. You have a civil matter, and must use the courts if you wish to go down the legal path.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Tails142 wrote: »
    Just reinstall the accounting packages from the disks you got when you bought them. No wait... let me guess... you don't actually own the accounting packages!

Maybe the gardai should be looking into you ;)

No need for the snide comment.

I know a couple of small business people for whom re-installation of packages is a curse. Often due to the fact that DBs tend not to remain comaptible with versions over the years but can't be easily converted to the current version.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Gabico

I can't believe this guy is still in business after so many people had problems with him.
    Sorry to post in this old thread but winit just asked me if I managed to get my money back from him: I didn't.
    I see ComputersComputers.ie is now closed and computerrepairs.ie belongs to someone else.

He now has
    www.computron.ie
    www.kilkennycomputers.ie
    www.kilkennycomputers.com
    www.carlowcomputers.ie
    www.kildarecomputers.ie
    www.macrepair.ie
    www.365it.ie
    He wont return our laptop, He wont return calls and wont answer emails.

The only parts of our computer with our serial number on that he did return was our keyboard and hard disc drive !!!!!!!

Haven't a clue what he has done to the rest of our property. The fault was only a cracked screen and to repair this the laptop doesn't need to be dismantled at all so cannot understand why it was taken apart....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

<SNIP> Please have more cop-on than to post stuff like this on the internet

dudara

Is this <SNIP> still in business (www.kilkennycomputers.ie and macrepairs.ie are still up an running). In the end I had to replace my MacBook entirely. Spread the word...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closing this thread, as it is over 2 years old

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement