Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of mass transit?

Options
  • 14-07-2006 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.biketrans.com/

Quote:
    BTS's Transglide 2000™ bicycle transit system increases urban mobility at a fraction of the costs of traditional modes of urban mass transportation.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

Hmmm.... I smell a new Green Party Policy :eek: ...

I don't really think it will catch on. Just from the sound of it, it seems as though there will be some technical problems - its a tunnel with air blowing in the same direction as the cyclist is going - And for that you have to build big tube cycleways across the city... how much air will have to be blowing to get them up to 25mph like they say? What if people fall off their bikes?

They say it won't cost as much as conventional infrastructure, I'm not too sure about that, especially for Ireland. I think I'll stick to conventional mass transit for now...

On top of that, do they expect people to have their own bikes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

I like it.:)

Vandals and accidents would be a concern. The tunnels to get accross roads have always been a problem for beggers etc. Enclosed spaces are attreactive to undesirable elemnets.

I am sure there could be a solutions to that. You still have to worry about routes and land.

bryanw wrote:
    for now...

On top of that, do they expect people to have their own bikes?

Bikes are really cheap now selling at less than €100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

Bikes are really cheap now selling at less than €100

If you buy a cheap bike, you will probably regret it - just like with anything else... ;)

bryanw wrote:
    If you buy a cheap bike, you will probably regret it - just like with anything else... ;)
    Not at the rate they get stolen;)
    Bikes are actually really cheap now even for good ones and they will always be cheaper than a car and petrol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

The future of mass transit?
    Maybe it was the future when their web site was created...copyright 1997

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

There is a much simpler and most efficent system

WALK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

cycling is more efficient than walking, both time and energy wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

cycling is more efficient than walking, both time and energy wise

Have to agree, I prefer to cycle 6 miles to work than get the bus and walk a mile. Walking is too slow / inefficient. I feel much better after a cycle too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

silverharp wrote:
    http://www.biketrans.com/

Quote:
    BTS's Transglide 2000™ bicycle transit system increases urban mobility at a fraction of the costs of traditional modes of urban mass transportation.
    This idea's been around for a long time, I remember seeing their site ~5 years ago.

TBH it's not really practical. The amount of expensive infrastructure that would be required is OTT for what you get - a slightly easier bike ride. Especially when you could just have the bike lanes on ground level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement