Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn IP Camera On/Off

Options
  • 24-04-2014 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some advice. I have house alarm (not monitored) and would like to add an IP cam to view house when away, over wifi. I have looked at dozens of cams online and have some questions.

All these cams seem to be 'always on' or on when motioned detected. I would prefer to just turn on cam when house unoccupied but no cams seem to have on/off switch. Dont want cam activating continuously when kids in the house. Can I switch off cam at elec socket and will it retain it's settings when switched on again or is there a better way. Remote switch on/off over Internet would be great.

Also is it possible to get a cam with motion and audio alert. My thinking here is if my smoke alarm goes off, would the cam audio alert send me a message or is there another option for this.

Hope all this makes sense. Any thoughts appreciated. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

most good NVR ip systems have scheduled recording with motion detection only with email notification's but not sure about stand alone ip cameras have such options and they are limited big time with recording memory most NVR machines have at least 2 terrabite as standard plus you can have 4 ip cameras on it hikvision do a great line in ip cameras and NVR/DVR's

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

All these cams seem to be 'always on' or on when motioned detected. I would prefer to just turn on cam when house unoccupied but no cams seem to have on/off switch. Dont want cam activating continuously when kids in the house.
    What do you mean by activating?
    Can I switch off cam at elec socket and will it retain it's settings when switched on again or is there a better way. Remote switch on/off over Internet would be great.
    You can but you'll need an electrician to wire a light switch to the socket you have the cam plugged into
    Also is it possible to get a cam with motion and audio alert. My thinking here is if my smoke alarm goes off, would the cam audio alert send me a message or is there another option for this.
    I've never seen a camera that can alert based on sound directly. I'm guessing it's possible if you have one with a mic in it, but you might need some software / an NVR to do the alerting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bibrock

Hi If your alarm panel has an arm-disarm output you could fit a small relay to that output and wire the relay contacts to control the low voltage supply to the camera. By this means the camera would only be on-line when the alarm panel is set (when the house is unoccupied). Most of these cameras have activity alarm settings designed to send an SMS message or email when activity is detected. If you use part-guard be sure to disable arm/disarm on part guard setting in the panel options. Hope this helps you to get the system design you require.

Advertisement