Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neck Tattoos

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

In much the same way that people have the right to get a neck tattoo, employers have the right to exclude you from employment because of them. My work contract states that I cannot have tattoos which are visable on the hands or face/neck. Had no problem signing it.

I personally don't like any tattoos, but thats me. I also think that those chunky necklaces and sovereign rings along with shiny tracksuits mark you out as a demographic that advertisers view with distain.

I have no problem admitting that some tattooos are works of art (lurker in tattoo forum) but a couple of badly drawn stars behind your ear or some ridiculous chinese character, just identify you as a sheep in a different flock to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Whatever about a shít tattoo

That reminds me: what makes that misspelled Olympics tattoo that that women got even worse, is that it's not even a well-drawn tattoo:

http://tiny.cc/fjlxiw

I'm not a tattoo fan in general, but some are way better than others. This is just cheap and shít looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Sea Filly wrote: »
    That reminds me: what makes that misspelled Olympics tattoo that that women got even worse, is that it's not even a well-drawn tattoo:

http://tiny.cc/fjlxiw

I'm not a tattoo fan in general, but some are way better than others. This is just cheap and shít looking.

I agree I really dislike those tacky tattoos. I'm not against them and I'll probably get one or two but I'm so fussy about tattoos I'd need to design my own and find a very skilled tattoo artist to be content.

I wouldn't throw down on the person for having it though like some people here, it's what they wanted and what they like. No harm done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

What exactly about a neck tattoo makes them "rough looking" or "skanky"? Surely if a neck tattoo is "rough looking" or "skanky" then all tattoos are "rough looking" or "skanky"?

Well, yeah, that would be the opinion of a lot of people. I'm not sure I find them skanky, I just don't like how any tattoo I have ever seen looks. It's a visceral thing. Even when they are new, they just have a faded, dirty look to them. It's not aesthetically pleasing to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    In much the same way that people have the right to get a neck tattoo, employers have the right to exclude you from employment because of them. My work contract states that I cannot have tattoos which are visable on the hands or face/neck.

Then your employer must also consider the possibility of discrimination,its a very offensive thing to put in a contract when it comes to how people look,cause at the end of the day it doesnt prove ****e about their work abilities.:rolleyes::D:D

• Advertisement

Colmustard wrote: »
    Maybe but the average teenager whose CV contains my leaving and I helped the milkman will suffer job discrimination.

I heard of one been dismissed from the recruitment stages in the Army because of one, part of a soldiers or a guards duties will be parades.

I think it is a stupid thing to do unless you are well established on the jobs market and in specific types of employment were you don't meet the public, like yours.

No i dont agree with that,it doesnt prove your work abilities if you have a neck tattoo or not.
    There is NASA scientists who have tattooes and there is politicians who have tattooes.
    Thats pure discrimination.:rolleyes::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Then your employer must also consider the possibility of discrimination,its a very offensive thing to put in a contract when it comes to how people look,cause at the end of the day it doesnt prove ****e about their work abilities.:rolleyes::D:D

How are they discriminating against someone, race, gender, sexual orientation and physical abilities are something one does not choose where as getting a tattoo on a certain body part (knowing it might effect employment) is a conscious decision.

Dress code is a common aspect to a lot of jobs and potential employees are made aware of this and choose to abide by it when accepting the job. First impressions no matter what people say count, we all make a decision based on what we hear and see when at first meeting someone.

We identify companies with their employees and so I feel it perfectly reasonable for a company to want it's employees to reflect it corporate identity. If you walked into a tattoo palour and all of it's employees were dressed soberly in pinstripe suits with not a tattoo in sight would you stop and think; do I really want to get a tattoo here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Show Time wrote: »
    Property repossession.

Great time for the industry.

ah. I can totally see how a repo man gets to look down on bouncers. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

To be fair, in a public facing position wanting to put across a certain image is not discriminatory. People who get tat's on their face, hands or neck should understand that in doing so that they will not be able to get some jobs, and to me that's not discriminatory, they did make a choice after all.

I don't care about Tattoo's one way or the other, lots look fantastic, but even more look crap given people get them on holidays thinking they are a good idea. My least favourite tattoo though are "stars" that "represent dead relatives" which for some reason lead along the hip down to a girls crotch. When a million people have the same thing, you can try to tack on your own meaning, but mostly a star is just a star.

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    How are they discriminating against someone, race, gender, sexual orientation and physical abilities are something one does not choose where as getting a tattoo on a certain body part (knowing it might effect employment) is a conscious decision.

Dress code is a common aspect to a lot of jobs and potential employees are made aware of this and choose to abide by it when accepting the job. First impressions no matter what people say count, we all make a decision based on what we hear and see when at first meeting someone.

We identify companies with their employees and so I feel it perfectly reasonable for a company to want it's employees to reflect it corporate identity. If you walked into a tattoo palour and all of it's employees were dressed soberly in pinstripe suits with not a tattoo in sight would you stop and think; do I really want to get a tattoo here.

Dress code we have offshore as well,and on ships as well Uniform,overalls,hardhats,gloves,goggles,boots with steel tip.
    Survival suit when travelling in a chopper etc.

First impressions no matter what people say count, we all make a decision based
    on what we hear and see when at first meeting someone

Thats correct.we all make an first impression of someone when meeting them the first time,and dont you actually think that there is a nice decent hardworking familyman with a neck tattoo out there??
    Well i know many in my job,and also as friends around the world,
    What if someone walked in with a scar,birthmark on their face to a jobinterview??
    Would you just say,sorry you have the best qualifications,but sorry we cant hire you because you look ugly:eek::eek:Company policy???

Having a tattoo is a everyones right to have,and noone should be judged by it,espesially not from a company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 melnsw

I had a beautiful tattoo from a guy called Eoin in South Ink Rathmines and I am looking for him again but he has left South Ink, and I'm not sure how long ago.
    Any ideas on how I could frid him or does anyone know where he went?
    I've googled him but no joy.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

What if someone walked in with a scar,birthmark on their face to a jobinterview??
    Would you just say,sorry you have the best qualifications,but sorry we cant hire you because you look ugly:eek::eek:Company policy???

Having a tattoo is a everyones right to have,and noone should be judged by it,espesially not from a company.

I wouldn't hire someone with a facial tattoo beacuse it shows they have a lack of judgement and probably an over-inflated opinion of themselves. There's no question of prejudice-the evidence of a choice that person made is right there in front of me. Equating it with people with disfigurements outside their control is frankly insulting.

Why not just get "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!" tattooed on your forehead so?

Why dont you go and put some fake tan and makeup on,and tell people to LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME:rolleyes:

melnsw wrote: »
    I had a beautiful tattoo from a guy called Eoin in South Ink Rathmines and I am looking for him again but he has left South Ink, and I'm not sure how long ago.
    Any ideas on how I could frid him or does anyone know where he went?
    I've googled him but no joy.
    Thanks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=358

Ask there. I would say there is a 95% chance someone will know him.

To be fair, in a public facing position wanting to put across a certain image is not discriminatory. People who get tat's on their face, hands or neck should understand that in doing so that they will not be able to get some jobs, and to me that's not discriminatory, they did make a choice after all.

I don't care about Tattoo's one way or the other, lots look fantastic, but even more look crap given people get them on holidays thinking they are a good idea. My least favourite tattoo though are "stars" that "represent dead relatives" which for some reason lead along the hip down to a girls crotch. When a million people have the same thing, you can try to tack on your own meaning, but mostly a star is just a star.

Unless you are part of the russian mafia,a star on your knee means i bow for noone.
    Yes i see your point,but still you are judging someone for having it,it their choice isnt it.
    And unless it effects the work they are doing,i cant see what the big deal is really.

Unless you are part of the russian mafia,a star on your knee means i bow for noone.
    Yes i see your point,but still you are judging someone for having it,it their choice isnt it.
    And unless it effects the work they are doing,i cant see what the big deal is really.

Visible tattoo's may effect a clients perception of a business. Which technically is effecting the work. It's fair enough and not discriminatory for a company to not hire someone with a tattoo that can't be covered up.

Visible tattoo's may effect a clients perception of a business. Which technically is effecting the work. It's fair enough and not discriminatory for a company to not hire someone with a tattoo that can't be covered up.

Clients?Customers?People are just terrified of whats not "Normal",basically because its not accepted in the western world,atleast not yet.
    To much prejudice still out there.:mad:
    In my job its accepted and we have no problems with our clients whatsoever.
    So why should it be any different in any other business or company??:eek::eek:

Advertisement