Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Merry Prankster

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if I could get some opinions on these two

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2867788

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2765418

I've phoned and neither has a service history, is that a dealbreaker? Should I ignore cars without a FSH?

[EDIT] Just saw this now too: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Fiesta/FLIGHT-1/513230745500320/advert?channel=CARS

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you are buying this, insist on a new NCT. The test can be done 3 months early.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Merry Prankster

Esel wrote: »
    If you are buying this, insist on a new NCT. The test can be done 3 months early.

Cheers for the advice Esel. I've decided against that Fiesta, but I'll keep your advice in mind for any other cars that I look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Hi guys,

Just looking at a 98 Corolla thats got 140k on the clock, tax just out and test till march. Got a FSH too. 1 owner from new.
    Is this worth a look for 950?
    What should I be looking out for on a car like this?
    Would I get it for less than 950?

First time buying a car so I'm going to follow your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

kiddums wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just looking at a 98 Corolla thats got 140k on the clock, tax just out and test till march. Got a FSH too. 1 owner from new.

God no, good car and all that it is, but 950 with no test it's far from worth that. Hold out for a cheaper one. They're fairly simple and reliable so you can't go too far wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

God no, good car and all that it is, but 950 with no test it's far from worth that. Hold out for a cheaper one. They're fairly simple and reliable so you can't go too far wrong.
    How much would you reckon its worth then? Would I be able to get it down easy enough?

How much would you reckon its worth then? Would I be able to get it down easy enough?

Reckon about 550-600 is fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Hi LM

I'm looking at buying a 520D M Sport(E60) - anything in particular that I should look out for or that have a habit of being wrong with them? Hoping to get an '06 wikth 90/100k miles for about €12.5k - think I'll have to bargain hard for it but does it sound doable?

Cheers

Adrian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 savlonsister

can anyone help bought a car june 8 done all the finance checks came back clear went to garage today to trade in and found out soneone financed the car 3 weeks after i bought it what can i do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Anyone know this car in Limerick?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Jetta/COMFORT-/713243900403160/advert?channel=CARS

Thinking about spinning down from Dublin real soon. Need to call them tomorrow morning.

Drove a similar one today in Carroll and Kinsella Blackrock and it was 2k more expensive

• Advertisement

Whyner wrote: »
    Anyone know this car in Limerick?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Jetta/COMFORT-/713243900403160/advert?channel=CARS

Thinking about spinning down from Dublin real soon. Need to call them tomorrow morning.

Drove a similar one today in Carroll and Kinsella Blackrock and it was 2k more expensive

Wouldn't know it personally, but it's an irish car with handy mileage out of a Main Vw Dealer. Can't go too far wrong :)

Wouldn't know it personally, but it's an irish car with handy mileage out of a Main Vw Dealer. Can't go too far wrong :)

Ok thanks, thought so but just asking rather than driving down from Dublin and finding out otherwise.

Seems like a very good deal, even without a 12 month VW warranty that I presume they'll throw in

Ok thanks, thought so but just asking rather than driving down from Dublin and finding out otherwise.

Seems like a very good deal, even without a 12 month VW warranty that I presume they'll throw in

Aye, i would look at it for you but it's about 40 mins from home!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hi guys,

Reckon about 550-600 is fair.
    Is the seller willing to submit the car to NCT before sale?

If not, is the refusal due to lack of tax or insurance (i.e. not prepared to drive car to test centre)? If this is the issue, you could advise that the car can be towed to test centre, or offer to assist in this. If doing this, remember that having the engine at operating temperature for the test is advisable, especially for emissions tests.

Be sure to advise the seller that the vehicle can be submitted to NCT within 3 months before the expiry of the current NCT (or within 3 months of the expiry of the next most recent expiry date, if applicable - to explain: a vehicle which is out of test but which has 3 months or less to go until the next test date can be given a valid test certificate valid for 24/12 months (depending on original reg date being -10/+10 years old.

To be honest, I wouldn't walk away from this car too fast.... one owner, FSH, honest mileage, small amount of NCT left. Presuming it's not being sold just because the NCT is due to expire soon. Have it checked out by a mechanic you trust.

If this car was in the Bangernomics thread, I'd say it would be getting a few +1's from the regulars.

Edit: @LM - Hyd? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

Alright lads, looking at 97 1.3L Mitsubishi Colt for sale, gettin it at about 350, will be my first car, it has Nct till Feb of this year, heres the description: 'Green mitsubishi colt 97 in great condition. hole in exhause and abs light on dash only problens with it. abs brakes are fixed just the light needs to be turned of and i dont have a dyno kit to do it. great little run around car runs of the smell of petrol. regular service done on it. never gave any trouble at all. good speakers in back shelf and pioneer cd player. one small dent on driverside wing only tiny tho and no scrapes. selling for my partner because we just had a baby and the buggy and seat dont fit. reluctant sale ve sorry to see it go. will put up pics soon. great car. any test welcome'
    As you can see he mentioned hole in the exhaust and ab lights, is it worth buying? and what would I do about exhaust and ab lights? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Hi folks, i'm planning on going to see this during the week, any advice? http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2775148
    I rang already and i asked him about the car and he said 'which one?' Unfortuantly i only read this thread after it so i wasn't ready with questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

well it clearly says bill maher as business name so yeah its a dealer, so next time when he says which one you say "06 Citroen C5 mate"

hes located in kilkenny

http://www.solocheck.ie/FreeIrishCompanyReport?companyNumber=434918&companyName=BILL+MAHER+(CAR+SALES)+LIMITED

Boooourns wrote: »
    Hi folks, i'm planning on going to see this during the week, any advice? http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2775148
    I rang already and i asked him about the car and he said 'which one?' Unfortuantly i only read this thread after it so i wasn't ready with questions.

That 1.6 is a bad engine to make sure it has a full service history with it. if it doesn't have any history just walk away from it.

it's more than likely irish as the reg is low, so it should be reading up around 150,000kms, not miles as advertised. if it's in miles ask why.

Tbh if he's offering a warranty i'd be looking fr 6 months engine warranty at least, he's asking enough for it.

An older Passat diesel would probably be a better buy, tax would be higher and you'd be looking at a 04 ish for tha kind of money, but you should/will have less hassle and a better residual value in the long term.

That 1.6 is a bad engine to make sure it has a full service history with it. if it doesn't have any history just walk away from it.

it's more than likely irish as the reg is low, so it should be reading up around 150,000kms, not miles as advertised. if it's in miles ask why.

Tbh if he's offering a warranty i'd be looking fr 6 months engine warranty at least, he's asking enough for it.

An older Passat diesel would probably be a better buy, tax would be higher and you'd be looking at a 04 ish for tha kind of money, but you should/will have less hassle and a better residual value in the long term.

Thanks for the advice. It's for driving about 160km a day so would the Passat handle that?

Thanks for the advice. It's for driving about 160km a day so would the Passat handle that?

Better than that Citreon would. i've a diesel Golf and i've done nearly 17,000 miles since i bought it in May.

• Advertisement

Better than that Citreon would. i've a diesel Golf and i've done nearly 17,000 miles since i bought it in May.

Grand thanks.

Think I'm best off posting here if I want thoughts on a potential purchase

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Jetta/JETTA-CO/201139204654269/advert?channel=CARS

Got it checked out and it's mint, can only knock him down to 6,800 which was pretty disappointing but he said it's priced to sell. What else can one do!

Seeing as Jettas are not very popular and have poor resale value, I think it's a good deal, any thoughts?

Okay so i'm planning on having a look at this tomorrow...http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Passat/PASSAT-S/413238531896450/advert?channel=CARS. Seems a decent deal on it.

Seeing as Jettas are not very popular and have poor resale value, I think it's a good deal, any thoughts?

Who said Jetta's weren't popular? i thought they would have been a good enough seller.

Anywho, AFAik they got rid of that 1.6 FSi and replaced it with the 1.4 tsi in 08, so that might be worth looking into. The 1.4 is a smaller engine with a turbo, nicer engine to drive but for what it's worth it's not that bad either.
    Okay so i'm planning on having a look at this tomorrow...http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Passat/PASSAT-S/413238531896450/advert?channel=CARS. Seems a decent deal on it.

Looks fine, my only concern would be there's a new front numberplate with no surround, so there's a possibility it was crashed, that a very "possibility" but just look into it anyway.

Seems a nice car but it is green and it's also a Kerry car with a towbar so bring your mechanic.

Also, it may be worth mentioning that 05 was the last year of that model. That said, that's not a bad thing as they were a better car.

Bring a mechanic, bargain hard and see how you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Think I'm best off posting here if I want thoughts on a potential purchase

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Jetta/JETTA-CO/201139204654269/advert?channel=CARS

Got it checked out and it's mint, can only knock him down to 6,800 which was pretty disappointing but he said it's priced to sell. What else can one do!

Good clean car, 1 lady owner.

Private sale. What gives?

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Private sale. What gives?

Would you let your wife sell her car?

Would you let your wife sell her car?

I'd insist on it!

Well, in general, most men would sell their partners cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Looking for a bit advice on car I'm looking at buying.
    It's a 2011 Nissan Micra. It has 22,000km on the clock. Did a check on mywheels.ie and it says it has had 2 owners. The tax is out in Sept. 12 so I reckon it was registered or sold first in Sept. 11. That amount of kms seems very high. Could the garage have been a registered owner before it was sold on?

Any advice is welcome.

• Advertisement

Stephen P wrote: »
    Looking for a bit advice on car I'm looking at buying.
    It's a 2011 Nissan Micra. It has 22,000km on the clock. Did a check on mywheels.ie and it says it has had 2 owners. The tax is out in Sept. 12 so I reckon it was registered or sold first in Sept. 11. That amount of kms seems very high. Could the garage have been a registered owner before it was sold on?

Any advice is welcome.

It could be just taxed for 3 or 6 months early on. Is the reg number high?

Advertisement