Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from JB to JA, age related payment??

Options
  • 24-10-2011 4:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi I'm 23 currently claiming personal rate of €121.40 on JB which is about to run out and I expect to be moving to JA when that happens(dependent on my continued joblessness obviously).

I know I won't be subject to an age related payment if awarded JA because I'm transferring immediately from JB but does that mean I could potentially then receive the maximum rate of €188 on JA even though I was on a lesser rate while on JB.

I'm sure I'll find out off welfare soon enough but hoping someone here has a bit of insight into this, cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

That is my understanding of it, your payment should increase!!!!

YOu may also have been able to claim optional Jobseekers Allowance while you were in receipt of Jobseekers Benefit, I can't see how the lower rates would apply to those on optional JA, but i could be wrong.

see here for optional jobseekers allowance http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/jb_jobseekben.aspx#part7

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Had a quick look at the optional jobseekers allowance, it doesn't seem to attract the same exemption as those who have exhausted JObseekers Benefit, and so optional Jobseekers Allowance appears to be assessed at the lower rates for under 25s.

Still, you probably should have been getting 144 instead of 121.40 on optional JA, provided of course that you don't have any means or partner's income to take into account in a means test. And when your JB finishes, you will go up to 188 (subject to means test of course)

Advertisement