Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare entitlements?

Options
  • 18-10-2011 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭

Hi, I would appreciate some advice.

My wife has been out of work since she gave birth to our first child last November. She worked very temporarily as an agency nurse. When she went on "maternity leave" in September 2010 the state would not pay her any maternity benefit as she had not worked enough hours in the calendar year. She hasnt applied for the dole as she's still technically employed with the nursing agency. However, our daughter has a milk protein deficiency and as a result has to be breast-fed, meaning my wife cant go back to work even if she wanted to.

In the last 10 months my wife has received no money form the state, be in dole or maternity benefit. As a result we are living on just my wage, which is a struggle at the best of times. My question is, are we entitled to anything due to her circumstances? I find it hard to believe that she would not be due some payment, due to the nature of our daughters ailment.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

keano_afc wrote: »
    Hi, I would appreciate some advice.

My wife has been out of work since she gave birth to our first child last November. She worked very temporarily as an agency nurse. When she went on "maternity leave" in September 2010 the state would not pay her any maternity benefit as she had not worked enough hours in the calendar year. She hasnt applied for the dole as she's still technically employed with the nursing agency. However, our daughter has a milk protein deficiency and as a result has to be breast-fed, meaning my wife cant go back to work even if she wanted to.

In the last 10 months my wife has received no money form the state, be in dole or maternity benefit. As a result we are living on just my wage, which is a struggle at the best of times. My question is, are we entitled to anything due to her circumstances? I find it hard to believe that she would not be due some payment, due to the nature of our daughters ailment.

Thanks in advance.
    well jobseekers and disability are out of the question. shes not sick and shes not available for work. you could try for carers as your wife is looking after your child who has an "illness" but its a stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Thanks for that. She has just been diagnosed with post-natal depression, would that be factored in to anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brainteaser

hi, get in touch with this agency http://www.inou.ie/ they are very good and will tell you exactly what you would be entitled to. There is also an allowance called Domicilary care allowance which you will find information on here, your wife may be entitled to this

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/domiciliary_care_allowance.html

if you are badly stuck for money contact your local commuity welfare officer and apply for supplementary welfare. Im not sure if you will be entitled to that or not though as it is means tested and will depend on your income.

You may also be entitled to Family income supplement, but again that will take your earnings into account, but it is worth looking into.

Also, if she is not working you should probably research attaching her tax credits to yours (if not already done so) which will reduce the amount of tax you pay on your wages and increase your take home pay.

Also, look into homemakers tax credit. Your local Revenue office should be able to give you information on that.

Now might also be a good time to apply for a medical card as it is means tested but the waiting list is mental.

Failing all that, you cant beat your local citizens advice centre.

Im not an expert but hopefully you are going in the right direction now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Hello brainteaser. Welcome to Boards.

Nice first post. I am not involved in anything like the OP's problem but your post is most helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

hi, get in touch with this agency http://www.inou.ie/ they are very good and will tell you exactly what you would be entitled to. There is also an allowance called Domicilary care allowance which you will find information on here, your wife may be entitled to this

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/domiciliary_care_allowance.html

if you are badly stuck for money contact your local commuity welfare officer and apply for supplementary welfare. Im not sure if you will be entitled to that or not though as it is means tested and will depend on your income.

You may also be entitled to Family income supplement, but again that will take your earnings into account, but it is worth looking into.

Also, if she is not working you should probably research attaching her tax credits to yours (if not already done so) which will reduce the amount of tax you pay on your wages and increase your take home pay.

Also, look into homemakers tax credit. Your local Revenue office should be able to give you information on that.

Now might also be a good time to apply for a medical card as it is means tested but the waiting list is mental.

Failing all that, you cant beat your local citizens advice centre.

Im not an expert but hopefully you are going in the right direction now.

Thats great, thanks for your reply. Plenty of info there to get working on.

• Advertisement

To keano afc - glad to be of help :) hope you get sorted & best of luck to you, your wife and the new baby..

Thanks Mongarra, I refer to this all the time when I am looking for information, its great to hear real advice from real people!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

I don't think there is a homemakers tax credit. There is a Social Welfare Scheme called Homemakers credits but there are used towards calculating your pension when the time comes and have no financial implications for you now.

You should definately look into Family Income Support for financial support and also the local Community Welfare Officer may be able to help.

There is a Home Carer tax credit of €810 for 2011 - the equivalent of paying no tax on income of €4,050.

Mongarra wrote: »
    There is a Home Carer tax credit of €810 for 2011 - the equivalent of paying no tax on income of €4,050.

thanks mongarra, I had the wrong title for it, and as I said foggy, Im not an expert I was just trying to help!

Actually it was to the post from foggy not you that I was referring. I should have quoted his post. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

About the Home Carers Tax Credit here, perhaps OK under the Dependant Person child rule, highlighted below. But, it is an Income Tax Credit....

link to Revenue Site Home Carer Tax Credit
    Conditions to Qualify

Married couple - must be jointly assessed
    Home Carer must care for one/more dependent persons
    Home Carer's income must not exceed €5,080 for the tax year.
    A Dependent Person

Must not be a spouse
    Is a child for whom Departmemt of Social Protection Child Benefit is payable
    Is a person aged 65 years or over
    Is a person who is permanently incapacitated by reason of mental/physical infirmity.
    Note: Dependent person must normally reside with the married couple or if they are relatives they must reside:

Next door
    On same property
    Within 2 kilometres of claimant.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

If this is your only child, and your family income is below 506 Euro per week, you should be entitled to Family Income Supplement (provided that you work at least 19 hours a week), which will pay 60% of the difference between this limit and your family income. Check here for further details: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/BirthChildrenAndFamilies/ChildRelatedPayments/Pages/fis.aspx

Family Income Supplement however does take 4-5 months to process however!!!!

If your wife has the stamps, she could apply for Illness Benefit on the back of the post-natal depression. Check out here: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/IllnessDisabilityAndCaring/Illness/IllnessBenefit/Pages/ib.aspx

Payment from community welfare officer is going to be out if you're in full-time employment, although they may consider an exceptional or urgent needs payment, although this really is a last resort payment and with you working is unlikely to yield any results. Worth a try if all else has failed. See here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/exceptional_needs_payments.html

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

My husband is on Jobseekers and my youngest child is in 4th Yr in 3rd level but he is over 22 yrs since July, Is my husband entitled to the weekly payment of ( I think) €29.80 for him. Does it stop once he reaches 22yrs.

Advertisement