Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold calling/Door to Door Fresh Food Business

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

I fully agree that everyone has their opinions and are entitled to their opinions but to dismiss others as nonsense does show a wee bit of naivety imo.

Yes they should be going to door to door for market research (not for sales initially imo). Is there a demand for the product or are they just going to rock up to the door with product in hand and ask. They should also be analysing competitors and/or differentiating themselves from competitors. They should also be examining the regulations of door to door/ market sales, HACCP regulations, insurance, etc etc. There are a number of other factors that they should be doing, but this is just a discussion forum for suggestions/opinion. Its very hard to have a snappy presentation without knowledge of what you are competing against and what you offer that can make a sale/repeat sale.

Edit to say that unless the OP has had previous experience going door to door, outside of their instant locality where they are well know, it is very difficult to gain credibility, especially in the current times.

Double Edit I absolutely agree with DubTony about not knocking retailers either
    Axwell wrote: »
    He stated the ones he thought were nonsense and backed them up with reasons. Just because you might not agree with his reasons doesnt make him naive. You think a website is a good idea, he doesnt, hardly makes him naive because his opinion is different to yours.

The OP should be going door to door for market research alone, to see what the interest is like and see would people buy the product. Personally I think a website will be of little benefit to them at this stage. He needs to focus on the local area and get out door to door and do the markets and stalls route first and get a bit of market research based on this and see how demand is. After that he can look at expanding and working on marketing and a website. Once he has regular customers and regular income word of mouth will bring more business. Testing the market initially is more important and see what works and what doesnt.

OP you have nothing to lose trying the door to door and markets for a while and see how it goes. Give it a go, it could turn out to be a goldmine for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

[sneaks in ... looks around ... sneaks back out.] :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

DubTony wrote: »
    [sneaks in ... looks around ... sneaks back out.] :D

Thats very naive of you to think people wouldnt notice you sneaking in and back out again Tony :D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Nonsense of course people are going to notice him ;)
    Axwell wrote: »
    Thats very naive of you to think people wouldnt notice you sneaking in and back out again Tony :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lloyd Xmas

The best way to find out if this'll work, is to simply forget about HACCP, insurance etc... and just go at it for a trial period of one weekday and one Saturday.

Make the exact amount of your intended product that you need to sell on either day in order to turn over a suitable profit.

Choose the number of hours you're going to work on both days, and stick to it. At the end of each day, you'll have a fair idea of whether or not this is going to work.

There's no point doing all the hard work and slaving away with regulation, websites, materials etc... only to quickly find out that it ain't viable.

I personally think that you could do well out of it if you package your product nicely, and it tastes good of course!

Why not maybe choose a particular area like Blackrock perhaps; where there's a truckload of "Desperate Housewives" who don't work and who have a few quid for niche stuff like this ;)

On your first day, bring your product along to sell; but also bring along tiny samples of the real thing, just to offer people a bitesize before they buy. You'll know right there and then if its a runner or not.

I think the fact that your Irish and your getting up of your ar$e to give something a go, will go down well with people also.

You could also try getting it into a couple of the small shops in Blackrock Village while your there... no formal arrangement, just a "see how we go" setup from both parties!

I wish you the very best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Lloyd Xmas wrote: »
    The best way to find out if this'll work, is to simply forget about HACCP, insurance etc... and just go at it for a trial period of one weekday and one Saturday.

Make the exact amount of your intended product that you need to sell on either day in order to turn over a suitable profit.

Choose the number of hours you're going to work on both days, and stick to it. At the end of each day, you'll have a fair idea of whether or not this is going to work.

There's no point doing all the hard work and slaving away with regulation, websites, materials etc... only to quickly find out that it ain't viable.

I personally think that you could do well out of it if you package your product nicely, and it tastes good of course!

Why not maybe choose a particular area like Blackrock perhaps; where there's a truckload of "Desperate Housewives" who don't work and who have a few quid for niche stuff like this ;)

On your first day, bring your product along to sell; but also bring along tiny samples of the real thing, just to offer people a bitesize before they buy. You'll know right there and then if its a runner or not.

I think the fact that your Irish and your getting up of your ar$e to give something a go, will go down well with people also.

You could also try getting it into a couple of the small shops in Blackrock Village while your there... no formal arrangement, just a "see how we go" setup from both parties!

I wish you the very best of luck with it.

That is an excellent idea, however tho only problem with it is that my product needs a refrigerated van to transport it in and in my area I can only find a transit sized van for rental at €180 per day which is too expensive for me at the minute. I could do it with a refrigerated box I suppose but then the whole look of my operation would be very amateurish and could damage my reputation as being a serious business.
    Thanks again to everybody for their comments, I have taken something from them all, as I mentioned in another post I did not know how to go about doing market research for this idea other than actually knocking on doors but this thread has given me a small idea of what the market could be like.
    I know I am being a bit vague about the product but I just dont want to give too much away at this stage but here is as good a description as I can give.

The product will be handmade, including some ingredients that are almost 100% factory/bulk produced in competitors products. I will use only natural, possibly organic ingredients if organic is the way to go, I am not a fan of organic myself, I feel it is a buzzword that allows you to charge more while adding little to the product. It will be perishable with a shelf life of about 5 days. It is something most people like and there will be a variety to suit peoples tastes.
    It will be delivered in a clean refrigerated van with an attractive logo and a basic but catchy name. I will wear a uniform of sorts, not decided on what but something carrying the name and logo, I wont be just landing to the door in jeans and a tshirt.
    I will go for a website as I can do it for free and I feel it will also add a modern twist to an old fashioned system of selling. The website can give a good description of the product that I would not be able to fit on a door to door flyer, of which there will be a semi regular delivery if affordable. Although the website may not bring me loads of business it may encourage some repeat business if anyone actually checks it out. It will also add to the professional look of the business.
    As mentioned, there will be flyer delivery with a full listing of the product varieties available, I am wondering about the possibility of doing deliveries on order like a takeaway, that is just an idea in my head at the minute( as is the rest I suppose).
    I am also toying of the idea of asking my friend to come in with me on it. He is also a chef and is single/no kids so he has loads of time and less distractions than me. It would free up a lot of my time saving me working 12 hour days, six days a week. I know what people would say about going into partnership with a friend and I know he would drive me mad at times but it would be nice to have a bit of craic while I am doing all this and he might also get me up off my arse to actually do this if I can get him onboard, plus he would have to bring in some of the start up cash. I would only ask him for 40% so I could still retain control in the direction of the business, I have put too much time and thought into this to just give control away. I will give him 50% of the business but the final decision has to be mine, not sure how to get this point across without making it sound like I am going to be his boss.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I admire your determination and the fact you are giving this a go but your post above just looks like you are jumping ahead of yourself. You need to do the door to door and see if people like this product and would buy it first off. You dont need a business partner at this point and they would be foolish to invest any money when you havent any idea of the demand or current sales figures for a week or month.

Start small, get out to the markets at the wkends and sell your product door to door in the evenings and see what the demand is like first. I know you are only toying with these ideas but without doing a few weeks on your own giving it a proper go you arent going to know the demand. You should try get a regular customer base locally first before looking to expand to a business partner or takeaway type setup. A few weeks doing the door to door will tell you if this is going to take off for you or not without planning what you could be doing down the line.

Where are you based btw

I understand what you mean by starting small and not investing too much at the start but my start up costs are quite low except for the refrigerated van that is absolutely necessary to do anything, farmers markets, door to door, deliveries etc.
    Without the van I can do nothing, this requires an initial investment and there is no way around this. I have had one priced at €6500, after that all I need is ingredients, diesel and a bit of advertising. They cost about €800 to rent for a week. The business partner would make it easier to get this and half my losses if it came to nothing. Even then we could sell it and make some of the money back, or use it for some other business idea we might come up with to make use of a refrigerated van.
    As some people have said on this thread they would not buy from just anybody landing at their door selling food, that is why I would like to make it look like a serious operation from the start.
    The partner would also allow me to increase the number of hours that the product can be sold as I can only do so much work myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

There's a guy comes around every couple of weeks in a small refrigerated van selling fresh fish in Carlow town, and I usually buy off him. When he started, about 8 months ago, there was no refrigerated van, and the fish was stored in cold containers with ice. Couple of months later he had a refrigerated van, a white coat and hat, and he looked the part. Obviously he was selling enough to warrant this.

On my street alone, I see him selling to 3 or 4 houses each time. As for the ratio of doors knocked on to sales, that gets smaller each time, as he knows who buys and who doesn't, and zeroes in straight away to his regular customers. I'm guessing he targets about 5-10 small towns over the course of a couple of weeks.

There's far too much over thinking on this thread. Door to door sales, if you have something people want, does work. And Irish homes are full of stay at home Moms and pensioners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sweetcupcakes

Hi there,

Just came across your post. I was wondering, have you gone with the door to door selling and if so, how are you getting on? I'm thinking of trying it myself.

• Advertisement

I dident pursue this idea as I put all my efforts into another venture which I ended up getting fcuked about by landlords and estate agents that I ended up giving up on that aswell. At least with the delivery idea you dont have to deal with these type of people.

Sorry to hear that, well best of luck in the future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I would buy at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

There's a guy comes around every couple of weeks in a small refrigerated van selling fresh fish in Carlow town, and I usually buy off him. When he started, about 8 months ago, there was no refrigerated van, and the fish was stored in cold containers with ice. Couple of months later he had a refrigerated van, a white coat and hat, and he looked the part. Obviously he was selling enough to warrant this.

On my street alone, I see him selling to 3 or 4 houses each time. As for the ratio of doors knocked on to sales, that gets smaller each time, as he knows who buys and who doesn't, and zeroes in straight away to his regular customers. I'm guessing he targets about 5-10 small towns over the course of a couple of weeks.

There's far too much over thinking on this thread. Door to door sales, if you have something people want, does work. And Irish homes are full of stay at home Moms and pensioners.

I would love to have a door to door fish monger. Its a pain in the ass getting to a fish shop.

When I was very young my Mam would buy the bread from a guy going door to door. It would be nice to see more unusual stuff being sold, rather then the usual utility stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nlpete

Hey !

Find out about all the legislation concerning all aspects of the idea and find out all your costs and overheads.

Get a map of your area and pinpoint the best locations for mobile sales and trading spots and build up an idea of your potencial market.

How much do you need to earn and what top end would you put on the earning ability of this idea "in figures" before having to adjust your model.

Flyers will cost little and get to your chosen area, theres more to websites than meets the eye ! but could work well if flyers advertize the site and then you could do some affiliate stuff and have other products.

Package and present for use now or in a while."fridge ready is cool"

Be careful around other peoples turf...but allways ask !

Cold calling will be a thing of the past...when hell freezes over, LoL

How would a five percent conversion rate work out !?

Pete

Sounds like you have a plan :P Have you ever done this before?

By the way what are everybodies thoughts on well designed flyers, has anybody bought anything on the strength of one?

Ive done a bit of market stalling and door to door in my time and have just recived a grant to start a speciality meat supply biz and also building a web site for home gardeners.

I think the best way to begin is to crunch the numbers and find out if what you think is a good idea really is.

Total all your costs and overheads and see if you can live of the proffit...Live ! not survive ! LoL

Figure out your locations to trade and the market size.

Be specific with your numbers and dont guess !

Pete

Sounds good, I love my meat :P Are you going to be B2B or B2C, as I've been told in the past by enterprise boards that I would need to be selling products to businesses rather then consumers to qualify for grant aid.

I'm considering Door to Door cupcakes, as everymarket we've tried either has somebody else doing it, or they just won't let us in. But we've seen markets in the UK and there is no issue with at least 2 people selling the same product, just at each end of the market. Ah good old Ireland!

But from previous posts here, door to door may not go so well. :P

Hey

B2B for sure, but I didnt know it was necesary for the grant. I had asumed that anything food or tourism would be in with a chance by the buzz words being used in Gov and funding sound bites.

Whats your usp with the cakes ?

Youll laugh at this but Im a vegie for who's into animal welfare LoL but I found a loophole !

English markets are quite a bit different I'd say.

Door to door food may be a tough one but it also has some good points.

Start in a tough market and youll learn fast, there are a few ways to add value to your product and the overheads are reasonable I would imagine, with a fairly good shelf life and weight.

• Advertisement

The USP of our cupcakes would be presentation and taste. I like the idea of going around, and any house that doesn't answer, put a flyer in the door and advise that I will be going around the area.

So I guess the main question at the moment, is would you buy a baked item at the door (HSE registered) for under €3? It would of course be packaged.

A bit off topic: Just looked at some shopping centres and they have a management fee of 5K then rates 8k and after all that there is the rent, they wanted 48k How are you meant to make a living?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would sure. The problem is, will you be able to sell 4 items an hour, which is the minimum you would have to sell in order to even recoup the cost of going door-to-door at minimum wage, without taking into account ingredients and overheads and labour for the actual baking. Door-to-door is very time-consuming. If you build up a round it might be ok, but that will take a while.

For sure, the rent in a shopping centre is very high. On the other hand, it's only the cost of employing two staff. If you were able to sell 50 items an hour from there, you can see how it would begin to make sense.

Important thing is to price the whole thing out overall, taking into account the hours of work involved.

Yes,that is true, I didn't look at it like that. I say after christmas, price will become even more of an issue, but well somebody needs to get out there :D

Well, we'll keep looking and see what comes up for us :) It would be great to find a away to get in front of people for as little cost as possible :d
    If only :)

Hi

Dont rent

Cut out the middle men ! they are dragging the country down with managment costs.

Get into this at the level you are comfortable with and understand.

The markets are your best starting place untill you know what your at.

You will have to take a risk but cut down on that risk as much as possible and remember that a micro biz can be very succesful once its profitable.

Be careful about your overheads, Ireland is way over priced.

Anyone will buy from you once you establish a reputation and that comes with good service, right price and time.

The renting idea is good for one thing only and that is it will tell you something about your competitions costs and the next plan / structure can be compared to it untill you come up with the one thats right.

Affiliate marketing with others in your area can boost sales and product range. websites cost too much in this country, build your own.
    Mine costs less than 250 per year and that covers everything I need.

Pete

Intersting idea about the marketing. Do you have something like this already set up?

That is a good idea :) Will have to try that :)

Advertisement