Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

00 Peugeot 106 revving uncontrollably

Options
  • 03-10-2015 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Right lads, first time post on here and hoping if some of ye could help me.
    As per title I have a lovely little 00 peugeot 106 and of late I have the following problem
    1)When driving along in say 4th or 5th gear car is driving fine (for a car of that age) but when I gear down and stop at say a set of lights, the car is revving uncontrollably without me touching the accelerator (cars in neutral stopped at this stage).
    2)When driving in slow traffic in say 2nd or 3rd gear the same revving is happening.
    3)When driving normally in any gear every now and then the car jumps (say as if you jumped off the clutch)
    4)Its very heavy on petrol of late. (costing me a fortune)
    Now there is oil and water mixing in the rad and I understand the head gasket is going slowly but surely, but Id still like to keep the poor thing going as long as I Can.
    My technical ability would be decent enough I'd be very good with nuts and bolts etc and have changed rads and hoses etc before in it so hopefully id be able to carry out any repair (if thats whats needed) that ye guys and girls would be able to advise me on.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

Throttle body bro. You can try cleaning it plenty video on you tube or getting one from a scrapper.
    Best a luck

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

Sounds like you may have a vacuum leak. This would account for for poor performance at low speed/closed throttle conditions, excessive fuel consumption and high idle speed. Take a squirt bottle of water and spray it around all rubber hoses coming out of engine (the thicker/hotter ones will be coolant hoses) and also around the inlet manifold. If you hear a gurgling/sucing noise in the vacinity of a sprayed area check there for perished hoses or leaks. This would be the first place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I'd agree with the vacuum leak theory.
    I've had two cars with bad vacuum leaks, one on a hose, one at intake manifold gasket.
    Classic symptoms as far as I know would be:
    - Bad idle, eventual stall after revving all over the place.
    - Bad low speed driving, or if really bad it would be "lurching" anytime the engine is running "closed loop". Should be ok if engine is running "open loop" (flat to the mat, one of the cars was briefly so bad that I had to use accelerator more like a digital switch).

I haven't used water to find vacuum leaks, I used a can of easystart, revs will change when you hit the leak.
    Be careful spraying flammable stuff around a hot engine bay!
    Leaks can be hard to find, mine was hidden up under the ignition coil in a T junction on a vacuum hose, took a bit of digging to find it.

To be honest the car was a heap of crap - a load of duct tape was sufficient to get it running acceptably.
    (A UK owners website assured me that main dealers always carried this T junction part as it was a common problem but as usual when I went looking for it in Ireland I got startled and confused looks as if I had just jumped out of a spaceship)

Advertisement