Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

zurich wont insure me

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Get a grip! Don't waste your fingers giving someone who is asking advice incorrect advice.

State intervention only applies to someone seeking insurance in their own right. There is no obligation for an insurer to add a driver to an existing policy. The DCA to "motorists who experience difficulty". The OP is not a motorist as they do not own a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Goose81

Insurers can chose not to quote. It's totally their perogative.

I suspect the claims from learner permit holders (particularly those "chancing it" by driving alone) may be a big discouragement.

Its actually not. Once you have I think its two written letters of refusal the third company are legally obliged to quote you. At least was the case a few years ago when I was quoted something like 9000 euro to be insured on an aprillia rs125 bike at 17 :rolleyes: after being refused multiple times for a quote.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Goose81 wrote: »
    Its actually not. Once you have I think its two written letters of refusal the third company are legally obliged to quote you. At least was the case a few years ago when I was quoted something like 9000 euro to be insured on an aprillia rs125 bike at 17 :rolleyes: after being refused multiple times for a quote.

Think it's three and you can go to the ombudsman now

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sonas93

galwaytt wrote: »
    Read what I actually wrote: you can't have a 'named driver' and yet have a new driver have 'their own policy' on the same car. Indeed you can't have two policies on one car. That's a fundamental contradiction. A 'named driver' is an addition to an existing policy, 'their own policy' is exactly that. It has nothing to do with acceptance criteria - if the cust service rep actually said it like OP says, then that rep has no idea what they're talking about, and anything else they'd say I'd file in the bin as well.

Gender equalisation in the context of the regulation is from a COST perspective - the ruling had nothing to do with whether to actually exclude females or not - it was about the COST of them.

I'm pretty sure what they said was If I had a policy of my own on a car they would add me to my mothers. Maybe it was all to do with me being a learner though I Know that they used to take on named drivers easily enough before. Her renewal isn't untill june unfortunately.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    you do realise a: you shouldn't be driving at all without insurance and more importantly b: they won't let you sit the test without having valid insurance?

I've done a lot of lessons so I have been insured I suppose you could say, And I think I should pass but I hoped to do it in my mothers car as I wanted to practice in it for the next month untill the test but I'l just do a few more lessons now in my instructors car and hope for the best.

• Advertisement

sean1141 wrote: »
    i know its up to the insurance company and just because they dont want to cover someone dose not make it all right.

Example. A young student wants to learn to drive. They pass the theory test and get a learner permit. They do lessons with a driving instructor but want more practice.
    They decided to get insured on their parents car but they cant because they have no policy of there own.
    So the choice they are left with is either get extra lessons with the driving instructor which may not be an option depending on how busy the instructor is or buy a car and a policy and then get there parent to sit beside them while they drive. Instead of just being a named driver on the parents car... Sounds dumb to me.

You dont need your own car or insurance policy to sit a driving test. You can use your instructors car. The op never said they drove with no insurance

Thanks this is exactly my case

hoodwinked wrote: »
    true you don't need your own car but the op is looking for insurance on the mothers car obviously in an attempt to drive it,

and then says

i was pointing it out as my cousin when going to sit her first driving test wasn't allowed go out as she didn't have the right documentation on her to prove she was insured in the car. before then none of us thought it would be an issue, apparently now it is.

Yes but I plan to use the instructors car now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sonas93 wrote: »
    Yes but I plan to use the instructors car now.

Fair play to you for sticking to the rules, I wish you the best in your test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Goose81 wrote: »
    Insurers can only be compelled to provide a quotation to a person seeking insurance in their own name, for their own vehicle. An insurer only has obligations to their policyholder. It is THAT person they have the contract with. They are NOT obliged to add outside parties to the policy (named drivers).

The solution to the OP's problem is for the mother to switch her policy to an insurer who will happily take on the young driver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I think common sense has gone out the window with all the bar stool brokers who just don't read the whole thread these days. Obviously not you, oldyouth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement