Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whatever happened to space sims?

Options
  • 18-08-2011 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭

No, not the Sims in space now :P

just a while ago, i decided to dig out my copy of I-War 2: Edge of Chaos and gave it a go. Never really got into it before cos the controls were too gimicky for me. was surprised at how fun it was. been looking on Steam and can't find any obvious space sims apart from the X series and Darkstar One.

I played Freelancer as well but it was really a poor imitation of a space sim. One with a mouse? just didn't feel right. The trading and piracy wasn't done as good as in EoC
    only other games i can think of were X-Wing Alliance and Freespace 2 that i have (still have to get around to FS2 after buying it on gog)

Whatever happened to the genre? Is it completely dead now, with the rise of FPS games?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They merged with marine diving sims to become space marine sims :p

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

No, not the Sims in space now :P

just a while ago, i decided to dig out my copy of I-War 2: Edge of Chaos and gave it a go. Never really got into it before cos the controls were too gimicky for me. was surprised at how fun it was. been looking on Steam and can't find any obvious space sims apart from the X series and Darkstar One.

I played Freelancer as well but it was really a poor imitation of a space sim. One with a mouse? just didn't feel right. The trading and piracy wasn't done as good as in EoC
    only other games i can think of were X-Wing Alliance and Freespace 2 that i have (still have to get around to FS2 after buying it on gog)

Whatever happened to the genre? Is it completely dead now, with the rise of FPS games?

They came back down to earth so to speak :)

what was the name of the one you could float around the whole universe in your ship? it was a PC game from late 90s or early 2000s

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

EVE Online? Be careful: you could start playing and next thing you know it's 2016!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

But what happened to the diving part of the sims? :eek:

Would it be a genre that could take off again? god knows there's enough FPS to last a lifetime out now. would there even be any interest in people going for it or has the joystick kinda died out?
    What i loved about I-War though were the mechanics (followed Newton's Laws). I'm not sure whether there could be many updates to that kind of engine now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

id kill for freespace 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,640 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

EVE was crap. X is ... I don't want to offend people by calling it crap, but good luck getting into it.

Freespace reboot would be wonderful. And there are still the old, dusted rumours that THQ might be quietly working on the Homeworld IP again. They have the rights to it, and they have expressed a strong interest in it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm not sure how they could top Freespace 2 tbh. It's pretty much the perfect space sim. Epic battles, ships the size of small moons, great story, and fantastic gameplay. In a way i hope they never do another Freespace, as i don't think they'd do it right.

Also, everyone should play Freespace 2 with the graphical mods. Definitely one of the best modding projects on the pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Kiith wrote: »
    Also, everyone should play Freespace 2 with the graphical mods. Definitely one of the best modding projects on the pc.

Completed campaign on insane mode checking in. I'll have to travel back to my parents house to dig out my old 4 cd jewel case, give details on mod please.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You'll get links to all the mods at the link below. There are loads of them, including unofficial prequels and sequels to the campaign, as well as completely new campaigns and total conversions (Battlestar, Star Wars, Babylon 5 etc...). Some of the are fantastic as well.

http://scp.indiegames.us/

Here's the guide to install Freespace 2 Open, which is just the collection of graphical mod. Makes the game looks great, and updates pretty much all the models/textures.

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Installing_fs2_open

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

I tried getting back into I-War 2. Didn't want to work properly with my newer machine. Spent many hours days months playing this game.

Don't forget 'Tachyon - the Fringe' starring everyones favourite chin, Bruce Campbell. Simple, fun game.

EDIT: Also thanks for those links. I now have a reason to play Freespace 2 again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Why don't they make new ones? They won't work well on game pads and not making a game for console these days is suicide unless you're Blizzard who've already got a ridiculously large PC fanbase that will guarantee enough sales.

Anyone tried to play that Star Trek Legacy game? It was very poor. I borrowed it from a friend on XBox. Tried it for about 20 mins and said "this is broken" and never looked at it again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Last one I played was Project Sylpheed on the 360. It was ok but way to arcady and had a story that would embarass the writers of coronation street. It certainly won't give Tie Fighter a run for it's money.

It's a shame the genre just completely vanished. Perhaps there'll be a revival like with point and click adventures.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I think it is to LucasArt's eternal shame that they have never made another X-wing/Tie Fighter game.

You could try X3: Terran Conflict - great game plus the developers really support it with new missions etc. New X game in development too, which I'm really looking forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

X3 isn't bad at all, although the previous games I thought had a lousy interface.

What I want to know is when will someone revive the old K240/Fragile Allegiance franchise? There was some quality space colony building, asteroid mining, trade warring, fleet battling, covert agenting, missile firing epic funtiems.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

All this reminds me, I really should get stuck into Sins of a Solar Empire properly...

Advertisement