Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agent (PS3)

Options
  • 25-02-2011 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Anyone have information on it. All i know is it's set in the 70's and is to do with the cold war and is made by rockstar, which fills me with optimism. Described by Rockstar as taking players into "the world of counter-intelligence, espionage and political assassinations." That sounds like a very good idea of having a stealthy kind of game set in a period that is criminally under looked as a setting for games (can't think of many apart from black ops + MGS3)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Yeah not much is known about it yet, but im sure we'll get alot of info at E3 etc this year. Sounds like its going to be similar to hitman or something... really looking forward to more info on it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

i taught it was called the agency or am i thinking of a totally different game?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

The Agency is an MMO being developed by Sony Online, has a 70's Bondish style to it. Not much has been seen of it.

Agent is a PS3 exclusive being made by Rockstar, not really much info on it (and could be postponed as they have made both RDR and LA Noire since it was announced).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I completely forgot about this game. I was at first hoping for something along the lines of a more open-world version of No One Lives Forever, but a stylish true 70's spy thriller could be pretty cool.

I read a rumour a while ago that there was thougths of having some sort of real-life aspect to the game, in that you can do things in your normal life that will change the game when you go back to it, but it sounds a bit too far fetched. It'll probably end up with a linked Facebook game or something. But we'll see.

And Take Two are appearing at E3, so they must be announcing something. Could be Max Payne 3 (and hopefully it's not another GTA. I think they've run their course), but we could have an Agent announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

At his rate, it's taking so long for any info, when it comes around to it, they could probably also release it on the Xb....oh.

They're going to release it on the Xbox too.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    At his rate, it's taking so long for any info, when it comes around to it, they could probably also release it on the Xb....oh.

eh ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Thats what Basically happened with LA Noire.It was meant to be a PS3 Exclusive now ages after it was originaly announced its Multi platform.Has anything even been shown of this besides concept art & its been announced for 2/3 years at least.

Microsoft payed stupid money for the GTA IV DLC and it came out on PS3 anyway. Rockstar know how to play the game it seems, this will be mutiplatform. Makes sense, like.

Microsoft payed stupid money for the GTA IV DLC and it came out on PS3 anyway. Rockstar know how to play the game it seems, this will be mutiplatform. Makes sense, like.

Pretty sure you're wrong, im guessing you never seen the thingy they did for it at E3 last year. This will be another huge PS3 exclusive to go with all the other great exclusives sony has... no doubt about it. MS should stop wasting stupid amounts of money on DLC's and timed exclusives and get some proper games besides their big 2.

LA noira was never announced as a PS3 exclusive.

Magill wrote: »
    Pretty sure you're wrong, im guessing you never seen the thingy they did for it at E3 last year. This will be another huge PS3 exclusive to go with all the other great exclusives sony has... no doubt about it. MS should stop wasting stupid amounts of money on DLC's and timed exclusives and get some proper games besides their big 2.

LA noira was never announced as a PS3 exclusive.
    La Noire was a PS3 exclusive when it was first in development.

I'm not so sure this will stay an exclusive. To be honest, I'm not pushed as I've got both consoles (yes ladies, I'm rich and single! ;) ), but making games exclusive to one console isn't worth it unless they get a huge payoff from Sony or xbox. And it being Rockstar, they could pretty much demand what they want, as the game will be a hit no matter what. The payoff will be astronomical for this one, so Sony just may decide not to bother.

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    La Noire was a PS3 exclusive when it was first in development.

I'm not so sure this will stay an exclusive. To be honest, I'm not pushed as I've got both consoles (yes ladies, I'm rich and single! ;) ), but making games exclusive to one console isn't worth it unless they get a huge payoff from Sony or xbox. And it being Rockstar, they could pretty much demand what they want, as the game will be a hit no matter what. The payoff will be astronomical for this one, so Sony just may decide not to bother.

LOL, astronomical :D NOT !

Since taketwo themselves have annouced that it will be PS3 only(It will be a new PS3 franchise as they said... which suggests that they already own the rights to the game), i'd be very suprised if they havent already done an exclusive deal, with sony doing what they do for most of their exclusives and funding the project. Either way, we'll know more at E3 this year, should be interesting.

Are you kidding me? Rockstar have a license to print their own money. Everything they make is guaranteed to be a hit. They're one of the few companies who can dictate to Sony and MS. Sony have to pay for the privalege of having the exclusive, but have to compensate for the losses incurred for not selling on other systems. Since this will no doubt sell well, they'll have to pay Rockstar a hell of a lot. At the beginning of developement companies can bid fod for console exclusivity, but the developer doesn't always have to stick to that (LA Noire being the perfect example).

As I said before, it makes no difference to me, (I'll probably get in on PS3 if it's released on both formats, anyway). I just see the possible end to the bullsh*t "exclusives" that consoles fight over. It can only be a good thing.

Are you kidding me? Rockstar have a license to print their own money. Everything they make is guaranteed to be a hit. They're one of the few companies who can dictate to Sony and MS. Sony have to pay for the privalege of having the exclusive, but have to compensate for the losses incurred for not selling on other systems. Since this will no doubt sell well, they'll have to pay Rockstar a hell of a lot. At the beginning of developement companies can bid fod for console exclusivity, but the developer doesn't always have to stick to that (LA Noire being the perfect example).

As I said before, it makes no difference to me, (I'll probably get in on PS3 if it's released on both formats, anyway). I just see the possible end to the bullsh*t "exclusives" that consoles fight over. It can only be a good thing.

Exclusives are what define consoles... why would we want 3 consoles if they all had the same games. Competition is never a bad thing. And like i said before, since so little is known about the game and the only statements we have heard from taketwo/rockstar about the game is that it is a set in the cold war and will be exclusive to the PS3 then we'll have to wait until they give us more info later in the year. Its not like sony have never had any massive exclusives and cant afford it lol.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

LOL, astronomical :D NOT !

Since taketwo themselves have annouced that it will be PS3 only(It will be a new PS3 franchise as they said... which suggests that they already own the rights to the game), i'd be very suprised if they havent already done an exclusive deal, with sony doing what they do for most of their exclusives and funding the project. Either way, we'll know more at E3 this year, should be interesting.
    LA Noire was in a similar position

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LA_Noire#Development
    Team Bondi's president, responded to an interview with Kristen Reed that "the project is wholly funded by Sony Computer Entertainment America. We have a long-term exclusive arrangement with SCEA."[11] On 11 June 2007, Take-Two Interactive, the sole publisher of Rockstar Games, re-confirmed the release of the PlayStation 3.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    LA Noire was in a similar position

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LA_Noire#Development
    Team Bondi's president, responded to an interview with Kristen Reed that "the project is wholly funded by Sony Computer Entertainment America. We have a long-term exclusive arrangement with SCEA."[11] On 11 June 2007, Take-Two Interactive, the sole publisher of Rockstar Games, re-confirmed the release of the PlayStation 3.

Sigh... i knew the LA Noire thing was related to Agent being exclusive for the PS3...

Heres an piece from an article (Most gaming site is restricted at work :D )

Sony did fund Team Bondi on this project(LA Noire) initially. However, the speculation is that Sony pulled funding because the company was not satisfied with the progress of the game. Apparently, Rockstar and Sony worked out another exclusive deal for a game (Agent) to be developed in-studio. In turn, Sony promised not to pursue the funds already invested in L.A. Noire.

And thus... mystery solved.. GOML :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

3rd Party Studios won't make Console exclusives if they could sell on more platforms eg GTA,Mass Effect,LA Noire,Splinter Cell & Final Fantasy.Its just Smart Buisness to put a popular game on Multible Platforms.

Sigh... i knew the LA Noire thing was related to Agent being exclusive for the PS3...

Heres an piece from an article (Most gaming site is restricted at work :D )

Sony did fund Team Bondi on this project(LA Noire) initially. However, the speculation is that Sony pulled funding because the company was not satisfied with the progress of the game. Apparently, Rockstar and Sony worked out another exclusive deal for a game (Agent) to be developed in-studio. In turn, Sony promised not to pursue the funds already invested in L.A. Noire.

And thus... mystery solved.. GOML :D
    Agent was part of the same three game exclusive deal as LA Noire in 2005, and made even less progress. Mystery depends. :D

Seriously though, I wouldn't fully agree with saying exclusives define the consoles (probably going on a mad tangent here :D ), they have their benefits at times, but it's the type of thing that breeds those idiotic console wars and end up stagnating games instead of letting them evolve on ideas.

And in the case of consoles, exclusive competition causes the player to lose out. If I didn't buy a PS3, I wouldn't have gotten to play Heavy Rain, and that' one of my favourite games. In fact, I bought a PS3 mainly because of it. So I paid a fortune for a console to play one game, and all the other games that I play on it are available for my other console too. I've lost out, Sony has won out.

Agent was part of the same three game exclusive deal as LA Noire in 2005, and made even less progress. Mystery depends. :D

Seriously though, I wouldn't fully agree with saying exclusives define the consoles (probably going on a mad tangent here :D ), they have their benefits at times, but it's the type of thing that breeds those idiotic console wars and end up stagnating games instead of letting them evolve on ideas.

And in the case of consoles, exclusive competition causes the player to lose out. If I didn't buy a PS3, I wouldn't have gotten to play Heavy Rain, and that' one of my favourite games. In fact, I bought a PS3 mainly because of it. So I paid a fortune for a console to play one game, and all the other games that I play on it are available for my other console too. I've lost out, Sony has won out.

Sony aren't stupid tho, you really think taketwo would want to **** with them ? :D Either way, i think agent will be a PS3 exclusive, you disagree... time will tell. And no, LA Noire was not part of the exclusives deal they did with rockstar.

Exclusives are very important for gaming, most of them are fully funded by the consoles and are usually the best games available for that console. If there was no such thing as an exclusive then games like Uncharted/Killzone/Halo/Gears of War/God of war/zelda/mario etc would probably not have been made. The PS3 would never have taken off because there would be no reason for people to spend an extra 100 quid so they could play the same games. Fanboy wars are something that exsists in any form of competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

The first screenshots from agent here. One of the developers left them on is website as part of his resume. Fairly big images, don't know how to resize them.

ld_2009_rockstar_agent_2.jpg

ld_2009_rockstar_agent_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

More and more convinced this game is going multi-plat or has been scrapped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.ripten.com/2011/05/24/take-two-agent-still-in-development-sam-n/

Quite likely to be gone multi platform though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Not scrapped but definately set back. Doesn't seem to be a priority game for rockstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Def cant wait for this, anything by rockstar is brill, and even better being based in the cold war.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Not scrapped but definately set back. Doesn't seem to be a priority game for rockstar.

I agree, They still have to get max payne 3 out and im sure they are working on new GTA and Red dead games.

DarkDusk wrote: »
    anything by rockstar is brill

Nah.

Advertisement