Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poetry in 5th & 6th Class

Options
  • 10-08-2015 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I am looking for some nice poetry to introduce the kids to when we return to school in September.

I usually cover Seamus Heaney in detail myself as the year progresses and do some of his poems that I feel they are able for like Digging, When All the Others and I often read Mid-Term break to them!

We also cover Robert Frost, stopping at woods and The road not taken....

We analysis these poems in a good bit of detail and look at different terms that turn up in them like similes, metaphors etc...

I was looking for some other poetry to introduce in september maybe some light hearted ones or other but that they would enjoy and maybe start to introduce some of the terms that come up in Poetry....

I would really like to start of well with poetry as it is often hard to keep momentum going with it and keep their interest but I feel if get some nice poems they respond well.....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭wreade1872

Aaahhhh nooooo school poetry :mad: kill it with fire !:p . Dear god i hated poetry in school.
    I used to think i simply hated all poetry but i've since found a certain section of the art i do like.
    I have no idea what the correct term is but i like to call narrative poetry. Poetry that actually tells a story, like the epics. They're like poetry except with blood, sex, magic swords and more blood.
    Orlando Furioso, Faerie Queene, Idylls of the King, Song of Roland, Sigurd The Volsung, Beowulf, now theres some proper poetry.

And my favorite City of Dreadful Night by James B.V. Thomson. God i wish i'd found that as a teen, then again i was very depressed teenager so spend a fair amount of time in the City of Dreadful Night regardless of poetry ;) .

Oh as too your question... yeah i got little helpful to say sorry :o . Maybe the Jabberwocky poem or some Browning, i read his Childe Rowland, that was pretty bleak, teens love bleak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭mattP

I think its great you're thinking about it and trying to captivate and inspire them :) I myself found English time an awful pain in 5th and 6th, I read a lot at home and found everything much too simple which is why I became disinterested in what the teacher gave us. I cant really suggest a poem because I only know melancholic ones :l haha
    What im trying to say is set a challenge, maybe have a look at a junior cycle book, pick out a poem and go through it with them :)

Advertisement