Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Blueberry22

Its me who's going to olol :-)

Ugh....so jealous of ye chilling on the sofas... I had a big audit today in work and again tomoro - was in 8am til 9pm today and going in for 7am tomorrow - god knows what time ill finish..... :-(

Ah..... antenatal classes - are they necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Ugh....so jealous of ye chilling on the sofas... I had a big audit today in work and again tomoro - was in 8am til 9pm today and going in for 7am tomorrow - god knows what time ill finish..... :-(

It entirely depends on yourself! I liked having some knowledge going in and it was very helpful in the end but it's up to you whether you think it will be beneficial or not :)

Good luck with the audit tomorrow - at least it's almost xmas and you have a wee break!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

You poor thing Blueberry, I'm in thirteen hours again tomorrow, but that's my standard shift, so it's only three or four a week.

Spent the entire day on the couch today though, was so shattered yesterday that I ended up vomiting all evening, feeling the benefit of the rest now though.

Antenatal classes - I think they are a great idea, some would say ignorance is bliss, I would say knowledge is power, especially in relation to childbirth. Totally personal choice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

For anyone doing the combined care, were any of you charged an initial fee by your gp?
    I never went to the gp initially to confirm my pregnancy as I didn't see the point. I took a test myself and then booked in with the Coombe.
    I've just called my gp to book my first gp visit of the combined care and I've been told I will need to pay 55euro to see the doctor to "confirm" my pregnancy before they will take me on for combined care. Is this normal..?
    I offered to bring my charts and scans from the coombe to confirm it myself but they wouldn't budge on this €55 appointment.

WittyName1 wrote: »
    For anyone doing the combined care, were any of you charged an initial fee by your gp?
    I never went to the gp initially to confirm my pregnancy as I didn't see the point. I took a test myself and then booked in with the Coombe.
    I've just called my gp to book my first gp visit of the combined care and I've been told I will need to pay 55euro to see the doctor to "confirm" my pregnancy before they will take me on for combined care. Is this normal..?
    I offered to bring my charts and scans from the coombe to confirm it myself but they wouldn't budge on this €55 appointment.

I did combined care last time and am doing it again and I didn't have to pay a penny to my GP

• Advertisement

Woshy wrote: »
    I did combined care last time and am doing it again and I didn't have to pay a penny to my GP

Thanks Woshy.
    I think they are pulling a fast one. They said the first appointment will be with the doc and is 55euro and she has to confirm the pregnancy. Each appointment after that will be with a nurse and not a dr and will be free.

Thanks Woshy.
    I think they are pulling a fast one. They said the first appointment will be with the doc and is 55euro and she has to confirm the pregnancy. Each appointment after that will be with a nurse and not a dr and will be free.

Well, my first pregnancy I saw the GP just after getting the positive test and I paid the usual fee for that. This one I just rang and told him I was pregnant and he wrote the referral letter for the hospital and gave me the combined care form without me having to see him or pay anything.

It sounds like they are trying to swizz you to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I didn't have to pay for my first appt where gp confirmed the pregnancy, she said all appointments relating to pregnancy are free, if I came in with a broken leg I'd have to pay but if it's pregnancy related, it will always be free. I went in with a stomach bug a few weeks ago and it was free. My friend went to get her pregnancy confirmed from another gp in the same town and had to pay for the appointment, it seems to vary from practice to practice which is ridiculous.

I didn't have to pay for my first appt where gp confirmed the pregnancy, she said all appointments relating to pregnancy are free, if I came in with a broken leg I'd have to pay but if it's pregnancy related, it will always be free. I went in with a stomach bug a few weeks ago and it was free. My friend went to get her pregnancy confirmed from another gp in the same town and had to pay for the appointment, it seems to vary from practice to practice which is ridiculous.

Thanks for that. The bit I really don't get is that they are calling it a pregnancy confirmation appointment when I don't need them to confirm it.
    I might ring around and see if another doctor might take me on as their €55 fee in general is on the higher side of the norm I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I had to pay for my very first appointment. Seems to vary from place to place.

• Advertisement

I had to pay for my first appointment and they didn't even do a pregnancy test - I could have been booking in with a phantom pregnancy!

The reason behind it was that you only get six visits with the maternity and infant scheme (something that GPs are strict on) and they feel that you will want these visits towards the end of the pregnancy and so the first is not counted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

tfak85 wrote: »

The reason behind it was that you only get six visits with the maternity and infant scheme (something that GPs are strict on) and they feel that you will want these visits towards the end of the pregnancy and so the first is not counted.

Just to say this seems to vary between gp's. I have been to the GP about 15 times with hyperemesis throughout my pregnancy and haven't had to pay anything bar paying for the initial appointment (pregnancy test and they booked me into my hospital). I've also had about 6 different sets of bloods done and the flu vaccine without paying a thing. It totally depends on the gp. However if your gp's surgery is being that much of a stickler on the confirmation appointment they don't sound like people I would like to deal with so I would change too. €55 is also a very high fee.

I had to pay for my first gp appt - all she did was blood pressure, weight and height - not even a test and then registered me....

Thanks for all of the replies on this topic. I guess the reason I'm surprised by this initial fee is because I am 16 weeks pregnant, have had my first consultant appointment, have had my first scan, am booked in for my anatomy one, glucose test etc...so having to pay them €55 for a "confirmation appointment" seems a bit crazy to me.

moving_home is right too, €55 is more than the average gp cost too.

Thanks for all of the replies on this topic. I guess the reason I'm surprised by this initial fee is because I am 16 weeks pregnant, have had my first consultant appointment, have had my first scan, am booked in for my anatomy one, glucose test etc...so having to pay them €55 for a "confirmation appointment" seems a bit crazy to me.

moving_home is right too, €55 is more than the average gp cost too.

How does the anatomy scan work? Is it standard? When is it done (I think around 20 wks?) Do you have to pay for it? Also - glucose test?

How does the anatomy scan work? Is it standard? When is it done (I think around 20 wks?) Do you have to pay for it? Also - glucose test?

Hi Blueberry22. Both of these were booked for me through the coombe domino scheme. I'm assuming they are standard?
    At my last appointment the receptionist booked me in for my anatomy scan at 22 weeks, a glucose test a week or so later, and my next midwife appointment. The consultant wrote those down and the receptionist booked them for me.

I booked my anomaly scan very early on, I have mine at 20 weeks. Holles St ask you to book yourself in for one when you book your pregnancy in with them. They are free. It's a scan to check for birth defects etc. Not all hospitals do them though so it depends where you're going. I can't remember what hospitals it is that don't do them though. There's a thread here somewhere on it.

I never had a glucose test on my last pregnancy so I don't think they're standard everywhere either. I know I didn't have one as I had no risk factors and didn't show any signs of gestational diabetes in my urine etc. it's a test where you fast and then go in and they check your blood sugar and then I think you eat something and they do it again. I'm not sure though having never had one - tfak will know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

€50-55 is the standard cost for any of the gps near me, it's crazy, especially when you've only been in for something small/a short easily fixed visit!

That's great that you get your anamoly/anatomy scan for free in the hospital, we have to pay to have it done privately here, €160.

Yeah, some hospitals don't do them which is a bit crap. I'm looking forward to mine - it's in 3 weeks!

Going out tonight and am that unfortunate is she fat it pregnant stage - loads of stuff makes me just look fat so I've gone for something v clingy so hopefully you can tell it's a bump! I'm so much bigger this time than last at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

I had to pay for my initial visit but because I didn't quiet believe my home tests i needed the reassurance.

I had my first consultants visit yesterday and all went well. Had the little scan and got to see the baby again and I'm just chuffed to bits! I was very lucky, met a girl I used to work closely with so she got my chart put to the top but it meant doing some work related stuff with her after but I didn't mind. Glad it all went well and I feel really good about it now.

I'm just exhausted now. Had a busy 2 days and have a thumping headache that won't clear up!! I'm shattered and happy to be on the sofa for the night!!

Woshy have a great night out tonight!! I was like that yesterday except the difference is I am overweight so it's going to be ages before I look like I have a bump :D

• Advertisement

Don't be afraid to take paracetamol Allirog!

Anomaly scans are not standard around the country, off the top of my head I don't think they are offered in OLOL.

Glucose tolerance testing is not offered as routine in Ireland, if you have risk factors identified at your booking then you'll be booked in for one, usually 24-28 weeks (I'll be having one, just the thoughts of it turn my stomach). If you have risk factors identified during your pregnancy then you'll be booked in for one ASAP.
    The process is as follows: no food or water from midnight, present to the hospital at 7.30-8, have a fasting blood sample taken, drink ONE PINT of Lucozade in fifteen minutes and have two more blood tests done, one hour after another - no water the entire time, you can't even chew gum because it might skew the results.

Had an absolutely bananas day at work today, I know I'll be feeling it tomorrow but I'm determined to head into town and "soak up a bit of the atmosphere"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

Tfak, I've been taking paracetamol but it's just not clearing it at all. Feel like my head is going to roll off :(

I absolutely love lucozade so I'm not too freaked out about the GTT :D

Tfak, hope you manage to have a lovely day out today!! I'm heading out tonight. My best friend is home from the Middle East so her family is putting on festive drinks in their house so I'm looking forward to that :)

Allirog wrote: »
    Tfak, I've been taking paracetamol but it's just not clearing it at all. Feel like my head is going to roll off :(

Do you have a history of migraine? If not give yourself a full day of rest, preferably in a dark room, do absolutely nothing and if the headache still isn't lifting consider a visit to the hospital.

It is also ok to take the occasional dose of Solpadiene instead of Paracetamol (never both), it's something used frequently in pregnancy. You can't take Ibuprofen or Aspirin though.

Hope the headache is ok! I hate having headaches when pregnant cos paracetamol is a bit crap. When I was in the beginning of labour the hospital gave me a paracetamol for the pain. So ridiculous! Like putting a plaster on an amputated leg :D

My night was fun, my friends were all excited to see my bump and it was nice to be out and about again. I was out all day today too and was so nauseated - I've just realised why. I forgot to take my tablets when I got in last night and this morning. Just goes to show they do help a bit and I still need to take them!

Have a busy few days coming up soon. My FIL is staying and it's seriously hard work - he's driving me mad, he's used to someone else picking up after him so he won't even bring his plate to the kitchen after dinner. I'm doing lots of extra cleaning and things. Not what I need right now - I'm knackered!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Have a busy few days coming up soon. My FIL is staying and it's seriously hard work - he's driving me mad, he's used to someone else picking up after him so he won't even bring his plate to the kitchen after dinner. I'm doing lots of extra cleaning and things. Not what I need right now - I'm knackered!

OMG that's shocking my 5 & 2 yr olds bring their own dishes from the table to the sink. I grew up in a house where my father was the dish washer and at the weekend when he wasn't in work he was the potatoe & carrot peeler as well. My FIL isn't too bad either, at least he clears the table and loads the dish washer! How's your FIL gotten this far in life :eek:

He's been living with his mother (who is almost 80!) for the last 3 years and doesn't lift a finger so he's just used to doing nothing. My husband has some words with him last night so today he keeps insisting he'll wash up. Then I caught him washing bowls in the dirty, cold water that had been sitting in the basin all morning so I had to re wash all the dishes anyway. Better to do it myself I think! He's just extremely lazy and bit all over the place. We've another three weeks of it too :(

The dishes thing is just the start of it as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

He's been living with his mother (who is almost 80!) for the last 3 years and doesn't lift a finger so he's just used to doing nothing. My husband has some words with him last night so today he keeps insisting he'll wash up. Then I caught him washing bowls in the dirty, cold water that had been sitting in the basin all morning so I had to re wash all the dishes anyway. Better to do it myself I think! He's just extremely lazy and bit all over the place. We've another three weeks of it too :(

The dishes thing is just the start of it as well!

3 more weeks is a long time. I'd go demented. I can't believe he lets his poor 80yr old mother do everything for him... god please let my sons not turn out this way :(

ariana` wrote: »
    3 more weeks is a long time. I'd go demented. I can't believe he lets his poor 80yr old mother do everything for him... god please let my sons not turn out this way :(

I just keep telling my husband to promise me he will not end up like him!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mrs. Draper

Hi Everyone! I'm due 17th June!
    Dolbert wrote: »
    I had to pay for my very first appointment. Seems to vary from place to place.

To all you ladies who paid a fee for your first or confirmation appointment - get your money back or report these GPs! I am 100% positive that all pregnancy related appointments are fee - including the first!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Mrs. Draper

Thanks for that. The bit I really don't get is that they are calling it a pregnancy confirmation appointment when I don't need them to confirm it.
    I might ring around and see if another doctor might take me on as their €55 fee in general is on the higher side of the norm I think.

Apologies for second post on same topic but I originally tried including a link to citizen information website but I wasn't allowed because I'm a new user… to those being charged can you google "maternity and infant care services citizens information"

The GP must cover all pregnancy appointments free of charge - including initial/confirmation appointment. It absolutely galls me hearing women say they had to pay for their initial appointments or Glucose Tolerance Test …. some GPs even try charging for pregnancy related bloods.

Advertisement