Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retrofitting wires after wall has been skimmed

Options
  • 05-07-2013 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

We are doing a rewiring job in the house and also a general replastering, dryling as well. Have a sparky lined up. He has a fixed price for the distribution board and after that he says price will roughly be £50 per socket, power point. I come from an engineering background , have wired plenty of sockets before. I'm just stuck for time right now. Rather I intend to pop some conduit in behind the drylining, note where it stops at via photos, measuring tape and later on in the year when I have time myself I will take spurs off the feeds in the attic space the sparky has feeding the existing points and cut my new sockets when time permits.
    Question does any one know of a better way to do this type of thing or can you see any flaw in my plan. ie Expand the number of power points after a house has been plastered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

is it a bungalow?

you're prob creating a lot of extra work by fitting conduit now

and attempting to wire conduit later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

If he already has the wire in the conduit before the place is plastered I don't see how any extra work is created?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

It's a bungalow. I don't see how it would be any more difficult to pass the wires down the cunduit in 6 mths time ( When I have spare time to do it ) after the plasterer is finished than it will be now before he finishes. To do it now means having to pay a guy £50 for what takes no more than 1Hr to do. If he had to chase the wall first for the cunduit then he would be earning his crust IMHO but passing a wire down behind a battoned drylining board is childs play. Last time I wired a socket like that the toughest part was feeding the wire down and that only took 20 mins.

your sparkie is wiring some sockets and distribution board

you're fitting conduit and piece of T+E

and will tap in to circuits later with JBs

is that the plan?

if your work is independent of the sparkies?

you need to make sure that the maximum no. of points and rooms per circuit isn't exceeded later?

also you can't tee off a ring circuit(if rings used) directly now

and the you have JBs

you'd be better off prob to wire the circuits now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

your sparkie is wiring some sockets and distribution board

you're fitting conduit and piece of T+E

and will tap in to circuits later with JBs

is that the plan?

Yes, that was the plan, do you not think it will fly?

you'd need to work in with the spark on that plan

it's 2 rooms(+lobby) and 10 double sockets max for radial circuits

ring circuits you're not allowed spur off in 2.5 direct

junction boxes not so great

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Philip82

It's a bungalow. I don't see how it would be any more difficult to pass the wires down the cunduit in 6 mths time ( When I have spare time to do it ) after the plasterer is finished than it will be now before he finishes. To do it now means having to pay a guy £50 for what takes no more than 1Hr to do. If he had to chase the wall first for the cunduit then he would be earning his crust IMHO but passing a wire down behind a battoned drylining board is childs play. Last time I wired a socket like that the toughest part was feeding the wire down and that only took 20 mins.

If wiring the socket yourself takes twenty minutes then wheres the issue??? Do it now and forget your messing later. sure you can do it while your plasterer is having his tea break!!!

Advertisement