Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Only 3,200 graduates apply for €30,000 state jobs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Do you think being pregnant means I can`t apply for the temp clerical jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

theg81der wrote: »
    Do you think being pregnant means I can`t apply for the temp clerical jobs?

No, you can't be discriminated against for being pregnant. There's a thread over on Work and Jobs about the TCO competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

LillySV wrote: »
    The Administrative Officer role stated in the ad a 41 hour working week which is actually more than most private sector

It's not a 41 hour working week, the hours of attendance are 41 hours, the staff actually work 34hrs 45mins weekly. This is 41 hours, minus 1 hour 15 mins for lunch & a tea-break each day. Effectively the same as any 9 - 5 office, where the person gets an hour for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The Administrative Officer role stated in the ad a 41 hour working week which is actually more than most private sector

39 hours is the Irish working week, everything after that is over time.

As barney above pointed out it's a 34 hr 45 min working week.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maserati23

I dunno, I heard a vicious rumour that more than one person per couple are allowed work. What's €25,278 times 2 again? Is it €50,556? I think it is.

Add to that the famous pensions, and that family make a lot more money working. As everybody knows

Absolute bull~hit,

I sit here with 1050. rent per month

I get 760.00 rtent allowance.#

For my self and Wife 2 kids I get 370.00 pw.

I get Medical Card .The rest of the family do not, (apparently "I earn too much" )

I should get more than most apparently, I qualify for invalidity pension, Worked all my life until I got my "Pancreas problem, Any Cuts I am getting through the door , I.E. Post, are decided upon without my consultation.

They are harsh cuts and expect more.

Please get your facts right, I live this life, not you.

Very easy for people not in the social welfare predicament to "Judge" the like of me, Sure I am only trash.

Hurtful is what I call the comments on this thread.

Rant over.

I will turn off the newt now before I get any more aggreived.

Have a nice day.

P.S. Dont ever get sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

If you look at the figures the application rate is probally quite good. They were looking for quite high qualifications in Law, Economics and Accountancy. In any of these you would expect to get 30,000+ in the private sector even now. If you are that highly quailfied you have jobs in the banks, insurance sector big accountancy firms as well as following the traditional law and becomeing a Barrister. A lot of people who do these degrees their parents may already be in the profession and they go into their firm.
    Some of the people that are qualified maybe married and their spouse may have a job in Galway, Limerick or Timbucktoo and are not in a position to work permantly in the Big Smoke. Also as earlier post stated the CS bins applications without the proper qualifications. Also ant person on Social with these Qualifications would apply knowing that in 5 or 6 years you could be promoted and earning50-60000 in the CS

n97 mini wrote: »
    39 hours is the Irish working week, everything after that is over time.

As barney above pointed out it's a 34 hr 45 min working week.

But just for clarity, the person working the 39 hour week is also entitled to paid breaks, under Organisation of Working Time Act and / or other ermployment legislation, so the actual amount of time spent working should be broadly similar. In my last job in private sector, I worked 8.30 - 5.00 Monday - Thursday, with a 15 minute tea break and half an hour for lunch, and 8.30 - 2.00 on a Firday, with just the tea break. I make that 34 hours 45 mins, exact same as I work now in the PS... (except now I actually look forward to going to work everyday, rather than dreading it!)

EDIT: I've just discovered that while workers are entitled to breaks / rest periods, they AREN'T required to be paid, you learn something new every day...

But just for clarity, the person working the 39 hour week is also entitled to paid breaks,
    Sure, but 39 hours is the working week. My last "9-5" job was 9 to 5:30 with 30 mins for lunch, and a finish at 4:30 on Fridays. Which is 39 hours exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Starting salary of €30k, HOLY FCUK :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

While more than my "official" work hours, I'd regularly do 60 hour plus week as would most I know in the IT sector...

• Advertisement

Sure, but 39 hours is the working week. My last "9-5" job was 9 to 5:30 with 30 mins for lunch, and a finish at 4:30 on Fridays. Which is 39 hours exactly.

In the private sector it obviously differs from place, I've given you my experience from having worked in one particular accountancy practice, I've no idea what industry your experience relates to...

I'm trying to remember what the hours were in the other place I worked, pretty sure it was 9.00 - 5.30 everyday, with an hour for lunch and a tea break - so that'd be 36.25 hours.

Definitely, a full week's work in a Civil Service job is at the shorter end of the spectrum, but that's one of the reasons why people would choose to stay working there. Arguably, the working week could be lengthened by an hour or two in order to increase productivity as numbers fall (it'd be more time for all the people you want redeployed to completely alien jobs, to upskill & retrain!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭peter barrins

This post has been deleted.

Sleepy wrote: »
    While more than my "official" work hours, I'd regularly do 60 hour plus week as would most I know in the IT sector...

Well aren't ye the right heroes... :rolleyes:

If ye aren't getting paid for it then that's just yer own stupidity, naivety, or incompetence (that's tongue in cheek), and you're being exploited.

Or else if you're happy to give your employers 50% extra free you're way to into your job and need to take a wee step back! :p

This post has been deleted.

They have actually run open competition for Assistant Principal level positions (in Revenue at least) in the last couple of years, and possibly will again later this year, in order to plug some of the holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mikeystipey

Couple of things here, I work in the civil service and while the temporary clerical officer openings were emailed to us the AO recruitment drive wasn't. Find that a bit odd.

Re the number of jobs on offer, I went for a Third Secretary competition years ago, about 3,500 applicants and I came about 500th on the aptitude tests. Not bad percentile wise but no good when there were only about 20 jobs going :D
    My point being that you may only have a 1% chance or so of getting a job out of your efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well aren't ye the right heroes... :rolleyes:

If ye aren't getting paid for it then that's just yer own stupidity, naivety, or incompetence (that's tongue in cheek), and you're being exploited.

Or else if you're happy to give your employers 50% extra free you're way to into your job and need to take a wee step back! :p
    Unfortunately, it's a simple reality for many of us on salary: "overtime as required" has been a fairly standard contract clause for the last decade.

In fairness, I'm on a respectable salary but it was one of the things benchmarking failed to account for and that most public sector workers miss when comparing their salaries to those of us in the private sector: most in the private sector earning over 50k work more than the hours they're officially paid for. Of course you also find the idiots who think that because their organisation is paying a company a grand a day for a consultants time that the consultant is earning that sort of money :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

murphaph wrote: »
    staff who aren't needed aren't made redundant .

what staff are they?

but of course, no public servant works long extra hours, right?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

God I wish I had seen these positions! Trawling the net for jobs every day how did I miss them....

Riskymove wrote: »
    but of course, no public servant works long extra hours, right?:rolleyes:

It's generally not de rigueur to work a lot of unpaid overtime every week in the public sector. For starters the unions wouldn't allow it.

Possibly with the exception of junior doctors.

Whereas it is common in IT companies, not all, but certainly a lot. Irish-owned companies would be the worst offenders usually.

• Advertisement

It's generally not de rigueur to work a lot of unpaid overtime every week in the public sector. For starters the unions wouldn't allow it.

Possibly with the exception of junior doctors.

sorry, but that's just generalisation

in any event I didn't suggest it was de rigueur

it does happen and not just Doctors, and many management grades can't claim overtime

Riskymove wrote: »
    sorry, but that's just generalisation

in any event I didn't suggest it was de rigueur

it does happen and not just Doctors, and many management grades can't claim overtime
    Not a lot of positions in the public service would feature at least an hour of unpaid over time virtually every day, with the exception maybe of junior doctors. If there are others, I'm all ears.

Not a lot of positions in the public service would feature at least an hour of unpaid over time virtually every day, with the exception maybe of junior doctors. If there are others, I'm all ears.

"Every day", "de rigueur"

the usual twisiting of comments:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I know a few in the IT sector and they wouldnt do any more OT than the next person. Its amazing how averages work, isint it?

Good argument :rolleyes:

my point is that I never claimed that 'a lot of positions' in the PS worked 'at least one hour every day' of 'unpaid overtime' or anything like that

indeed neither did the poster I quoted

so why respond with such points?

my point is that are some PS who, like the post I quoted, regularly work beyond the hours that they are paid for.

If you do not believe that, fine, its your opinion, but stop trying to twist my point into something I am not saying so that you can attack it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Unfortunately, it's a simple reality for many of us on salary: "overtime as required" has been a fairly standard contract clause for the last decade.

In fairness, I'm on a respectable salary but it was one of the things benchmarking failed to account for and that most public sector workers miss when comparing their salaries to those of us in the private sector: most in the private sector earning over 50k work more than the hours they're officially paid for. Of course you also find the idiots who think that because their organisation is paying a company a grand a day for a consultants time that the consultant is earning that sort of money :rolleyes:

Well, my own personal experience has been that I worked much longer hours in the public service (with no overtime) on less wages than I have since joining the private sector. I remember one time putting in 70 hours by Friday evening and then coming in all-day Saturday and also Sunday morning.

It is not true to say that most in the private sector earning over 50k work more than the hours they're officially paid for, neither is it true to say that of public servants.

P.S. Anyone earning over 50k approx. in the civil service is not entitled to paid overtime, they must work the hours needed to get the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

B/S. All HEO and andA/O grades are not paid for the first hour of overtime in any week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Godge wrote: »
    P.S. Anyone earning over 50k approx. in the civil service is not entitled to paid overtime, they must work the hours needed to get the job done.

Also, alot earning under it dont get it either. If i have to work past 6.30pm i get it back in time in lieu, no OT payments in my job and i earn well under the 50k mark. 7.30am - 6.30pm are core hours in my place, only work outside of these times are OT, but as stated above, no payment is received.

Godge wrote: »
    I remember one time putting in 70 hours by Friday evening and then coming in all-day Saturday and also Sunday morning.
    The clock system will have red flags all over that (assuming you are clocking in and out honestly) and you'd be told to take time off, as you're in breach of the working time act.
    skafish wrote:
    B/S. All HEO and andA/O grades are not paid for the first hour of overtime in any week.
    So what.

• Advertisement

The clock system will have red flags all over that (assuming you are clocking in and out honestly) and you'd be told to take time off, as you're in breach of the working time act.

So what.

Not everyone is on the clock system

Some grades are not eligible for any overtime payment regardless of hours

Advertisement