Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female dog just neutered - do i separate her from my other male dog for a while?

Options
  • 21-10-2010 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi,

I have 2 dogs, one 3yr old male and one 1yr old female.. She was neutered today, and we are collecting her from the vet tomorrow. My other dog is pining for her, and not at all happy to be on his own..

Usually the sleep together, and regularly groom each other - so I'm concerned that he would lick her stitches.. so my question is, when she comes home will i keep them separate, or just separate them at night, or leave them together?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

I just had my male done and was told to keep him away from other dogs for 10-14 days ,the best thing to do is ask the nurse when you collect her ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Might be a good idea to let them be with each other during the day if you are around and then seperate at night, just in case, as you say he might try to pick at her stitches and just so she doesn't suddenly start feeling more lively and then hurt herself when playing. Just give it 5 days to make sure she's healing well then after that it should be safe to let them stay together again as normal. 7 to 10 days for stitches to come out generally depending how they're healing but they generally have healed enough 5 to 7 days in just depends.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

Thanks for your advice.. I will be collecting her tomorrow afternoon so will have a good chat with the nurse then.

My OH thinks I'm overreacting altogether - cos i plan on staying in this weekend to keep an eye on her just in case - even considered sleeping downstairs but reckon thats unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I had the same worry with my two when the bitch was spayed.
    I got home and they were both so pleased to see each other, my usually mad boy was very gentle and curled up beside the girl. I put them into their crates at night but left them together during the day, I was home all the time as it was christmas, she never touched her stitches and neither did he. Just keep a close eye and judge for yourself.
    My girl was quite cold the first few days, so he sat with her a lot. Think it did her the world of good.
    My vet never mentioned keeping them apart, just to keep an eye for rough play etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

I kept them apart for the first night, but the pair of them were so miserable pining for each other that I left them together the second night..

The only thing that I have noticed that is different is that she gets very anxious when she is separated from our dog now and cries and pines until he is back.. for example when my OH walks him, he leaves her at home (as the vet said not to walk her for more than about 10 mins until her stitches come out).

Hopefully this will pass soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement